UEFI Install Issue with 64bit Alpha

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 02:40 PM

The second installation is on uefi/gpt. (The earlier post  is from bios-legacy/msdos).

There is an error reported at the end of installation that grub is not installed.

But I have no problem booting up because I have existing uefi/gpt OS's which I can use to boot up Bodhi, but I think less experienced people may  have issues with it.

Looking through the system, all has been properly installed, grub.cfg, /boot/efi in fstab, ...etc. Just that the Bodhi system is not 'registered' in the efibootmgr hence will not be present for selection.

Also I tried to see if post-os-installation of grub-install will work. Unfortunately, it doesn't. The following results.

pop@Oct:~$ sudo grub-install
[sudo] password for pop:
grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory.
pop@Oct:~$
pop@Oct:~$ grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/boot/efi --bootloader-id=bodhi --boot-directory=/boot --recheck --debug
grub-install: error: /usr/lib/grub/x86_64-efi/modinfo.sh doesn't exist. Please specify --target or --directory.
pop@Oct:~$

Have to install package as follows and 'grub-install' command. This works post-installation.

pop@Oct:~$ sudo apt-get install grub-efi-amd64
pop@Oct:~$ sudo grub-install
Installing for x86_64-efi platform.
Installation finished. No error reported.

I did not have problem with uefi/gpt for the last Bodhi (3.2.1) but I did recall others having issue then.

Back then, the installer did not have "system efi' in the drop-down menu and IIRC, I input in '/boot/efi' as mount point then.

Thought I'd report this here though I think it's the upstream ubiquity that needs to be addressed.

And I suggest that users installing in uefi should download "grub-efi-amd64" in livecd before beginning ubiquity install.

Cheers again.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 27 July 2016 - 05:47 PM

And I suggest that users installing in uefi should download "grub-efi-amd64" in livecd before beginning ubiquity install.

Sorry, this still won't work.

I tried another installation with this "grub-efi-amd64" installed in livecd prior to ubiquity installation.

And worse, grub.cfg is not generated.

But  yes, like last install, I am able to boot to this and reinstalled grub and like last time, it can be made to function fully.

But no, it is still a problem for uefi installation.

Hope we can find a way to fix this.

Let's keep trying.  :) 

Cheers, all. Good night.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 27 July 2016 - 06:14 PM

sef has been working on upgrades / improvements to the Bodhi Builder tool we use. This is also likely related to the no 32bit ISO for alpha release. We will get it up to snuff. Just wanted to get this mostly installable ISO image out there so people can get Moksha on 16.04

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4559 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 27 July 2016 - 08:02 PM

Hmm,

grub-efi-amd64 is in the dir "pool" on the ISO.
All grub-packages there have the same version:
2.02~beta2-36ubuntu3.1

The ubiquity installer uses this latest version, 
so if for some reason you installed an older version 
in the live CD it wont be used. But it will maybe if you 
have an existing installation where you have not run apt-get update.

Like you suggested, this might be ubiquity, or even a grub-issue.

Enjoy,
Charles

#5 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4559 posts

Posted 28 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

OK, the dir "pool" is created using dpkg-download which is not checking for dependencies. There was a dependency for grub-efi-amd64 missing. I will roll a testing iso including the missing package and report back later.

FYI, all Bodhi ISOs are built using non-efi machines, thus secure boot packages and so are not in casper, but they are/should be available for the installer. Worked for all previous versions.

#6 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

Right, tried again. I now think it is not possible with current liveiso to install in uefi 'the usual way'.

As was mentioned, grub-efi-amd64 is in the liveiso, but when booted (liveiso), package is not 'installed' even when booted in uefi

(check with apt-cache policy grub-efi-amd64).

As was also mentioned, install iso's are all made with bodhibuilder (remastersys) in bios-legacy mode [meaning - if using bodhibuilder, it actually is not using casper]

hence it is not possible to install 'normally' in uefi. [1]

But I want to stress here that bodhi installation on bios-legacy/msdos is perfectly okay and very easy.

So, I think it is good that we provide a 'guide' on how to install bodhi in uefi. so the reason of this post. I'll follow up with next post.

It is possible to have a bodhi installation iso for uefi provided it is built (bodhibuilder) in uefi and that will mean having 2 install media, one for bios-legacy and another in uefi.

Or best create live iso using casper, not bodhibuilder.

[1] - my previous uefi installation of 3.2.1 was probably because I had existing uefi OS's and I probably 'did up' grub post-installation. Sorry for the statement I made then about not having issues  with uefi installation of bodhi.

#7 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

Installation of Bodhi in UEFI.

o Pre-installation - Have partitions ready, particularly if there is no existing $esp.

Prepare this $esp (suggest using gparted) in fat32 format and with size of 150 - 300 MB.

If there is an existing $esp, we can use this but remember not to format this partition at installation.

Note also we can create another $esp even if there is an existing one (recommended (not mandatory) if this current $esp is used by windows)

o Boot up install media in uefi mode.

o Select  $esp partition as mount point "efi system partition"

o Select root partition (of course) as '/' mount point.

o Proceed to install as normal.

Towards the end of the installation process, there will be an error message stating grub installation failed and that you might not be able to boot.

Exit ubiquity installation but do not exit livecd yet.

At this livecd,

o Check using file manager (or terminal that /etc/fstab) contains that /boot/efi mount.

It must have something like this. If boot/efi is not there, create an entry there (with correct uuid, please).

# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
# / was on /dev/sda5 during installation
UUID=f9d47439-62ed-4a0d-b70d-3717d2b5010c /               ext4    errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /boot/efi was on /dev/sda1 during installation
UUID=37AA-6C65  /boot/efi       vfat    umask=0077      0       1

o Then, check that grub.cfg is generated (/boot/grub/grub.cfg)

Though if it is not, we can still get this working later, but it is better that it is.

o Now at livecd terminal, install package 'grub-efi-amd64'

sudo apt-get install grub-efi-amd64

o Here I am going to take sda5 as the root (/) partition and sda1 as the /boot/efi partition

Correct the commands below to the correct partitions for sda1 and sda5.

sudo mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
sudo mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/boot/efi
sudo grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/mnt/boot/efi --bootloader-id=bodhi --boot-directory=/mnt/boot --recheck --debug

Now we can reboot.

ps: if there is no grub.cfg, it will reboot to grub prompt,

And if there are existing OS's in uefi, it is easier to boot to any of these and do an 'update-grub' there to include Bodhi in its grub and boot Bodhi from there.

But we can still boot Bodhi from grub prompt as follows (correct to right partitions).

grub> set root=(hd0,5)
grub> linux  /boot/vmlinuz-4.4.0-31-generic root=/dev/sda5 ro
grub> initrd /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-31-generic
grub> boot

After booting up to Bodhi, at terminal, (provided /boot/efi is there in fstab)

sudo apt-get install grub-efi-amd64
sudo grub-install
sudo update-grub

Hope this helps.

Cheers and good luck.

#8 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 30 July 2016 - 12:32 PM

@gohlip

Was this an offline install, or are you connected to the internet when you install?

Are you installing to a PC, or is this an install inside a VM like VirtualBox?

Also, does this issue happen on initial boot, or is the first boot successful then it won't boot anymore?

I was just able to do an offline UEFI install inside VirtualBox using an ISO I created from 16.04 Ubuntu with no problems at all.

BTW, thanks for helping with troubleshooting!

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#9 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

@gohlip

Was this an offline install, or are you connected to the internet when you install?

I'm connected to internet when installing. I'm always connected to internet when installing any OS.

I do have a laptop (as well), and I usually connect using a wired when installing.

In my laptop, Bodhi (and Ubuntu) needs "sudo apt-get install firmware-b43-installer" (works for most laptops)  for wireless to work and sometimes I used this at livecd before connecting, but mostly I just plug in the ethernet wire. Other distros may just need to configure wireless but Ubuntu and Bodhi needs command to work.

Are you installing to a PC, or is this an install inside a VM like VirtualBox?

I'm installing to pc. Not VM or from it. I boot livecd-iso file, not usb; but that's just like booting from dvd, no difference. Just that I must remember to umount /isodevice before installation (sudo umount -l /isodevice).

Also, does this issue happen on initial boot, or is the first boot successful then it won't boot anymore?

It won't boot (normally) at all  (without above commands) after installation. But as I said, I do not have a problem booting (with modifications) because I have existing uefi OS's and users having other OS's should be able to boot from their other OS grub (after an update-grub)

I was just able to do an offline UEFI install inside VirtualBox using an ISO I created from 16.04 Ubuntu with no problems at all.

Great! Because I remembered that was an issue last time.

BTW, thanks for helping with troubleshooting!

Much welcome. I have learnt much from others here too and I think if we can help in some ways, we should.

And it feels good to be able to help anyway.  :)

#10 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

I thought I had posted something here but it went missing..

To recap without the 'snapshots' of output.

I created an install media using bodhibuilder in uefi and installed it into a bios-legacy system.

Message of "Installation failed" but I am able to boot into it using other grub.

grub-efi-amd64 is installed at install media and grub-pc is not.

After installation and after booting up the bios-legacy OS,

grub-efi-amd64 is not installed and grub-pc is shown as installed.

grub.cfg is generated.

#11 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

We have not done a lot of testing regarding creating ISOs in UEFI systems. But it's something we intend to get around to.

At this point using bodhibuilder in UEFI is not fully supported, but this will definitely help us iron out some bugs.

Forum Rules (link)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

#12 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 04:42 PM

At this point using bodhibuilder in UEFI is not fully supported, but this will definitely help us iron out some bugs.

As my post above shows, I have no problem making a uefi install media.

It correctly ensures that the required packages are there for a uefi install.

What I did was using this for a bios-legacy install.

#13 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 320 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:21 PM

What I did was using this for a bios-legacy install.

And that's why it's not fully supported. :)

When an iso is created, the idea is that it should be able to install to either platform. Otherwise I would consider it to be only half useful.

Forum Rules (link)

#14 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4559 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:30 PM

@gohlip

I would like to have some added info. You mentioned using casper-lupin sometimes, thus my question.

Are you using the full iso created by bodhibuilder and "burned" to an install medium? This would mean having more directories available, including "pool", not just the casper file. And all files needed for installing grub to either EFI or MBR will/should be found by the installer after ubiquity has setup the cdrom-repository.

#15 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:50 PM

When an iso is created, the idea is that it should be able to install to either platform.

Agree. But I think by using bodhibuilder, that won't be accomplished. (see my post #6)

Only by using casper 'installer' can that be done.

#16 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:18 PM

@gohlip

I would like to have some added info. You mentioned using casper-lupin sometimes, thus my question.

Ah, you remembered I kept pestering that we need casper-lupin in the bodhi iso. :)

The reason is that this is required to boot up the isofile (I used grub2 to do that) instead of burning to cd/dvd (or dd to usb or unetbootin) and that  (boot isofile) cannot be done without casper-lupin in the livecd. I am still booting isofiles and I boot (and install) my remastered (bodhibuilder) isofiles using grub2. The several 'tests' here (remastering and installing) are all done by booting isofiles and I'm very glad casper-lupin is always there. _ I had a post sometime back how to do this and will be happy to repeat it if so required (but I think very few people do this and I boot/install other distros too from the isofiles).

Are you using the full iso created by bodhibuilder and "burned" to an install medium?

I created the install medium using 'backup' (sudo bodhibuilder -b <mybodhi.iso>) after making some changes (like removing midori, add firefox, ....) and the installed OS from it will be as it was when made. This means it will have my username, password, settings all the same as the original. I did not make the 'distribution' iso. And I don't burn to install medium as just explained. I just boot/install the created iso from grub2 (thanks to lupin-casper).

This would mean having more directories available, including "pool", not just the casper file.

The isofile is less than 1 GB, including qbittorrent, smplayer, firefox, tor ... the heavy stuff.

And all files needed for installing grub to either EFI or MBR will/should be found by the installer after ubiquity has setup the cdrom-repository.

And this is where the problem is.... the files may be there (like I expained and in my 'lost' post)..

but just taking 2 examples - grub-efi-amd64 and grub-pc -  these are in the 'cdrom' or isofiles

but using bodhibuilder, what is generated in uefi will have "installed" (as opposed to just contains)  package 'grub-efi-amd64' and not grub-pc (in livecd boots).

Conversely, what's "installed" in bios-legacy made iso is 'grub-pc and not grub-efi-amd64; hence what is created from each can only be used for installing in the respective mode.

But as shown, it can be made to install regardless though in not a beautiful way.

Hope we can be clear in this slightly confusing issue, but I think that's the nature of bodhibuilder. It is not an installer per se.

Cheers.

#17 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4559 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:35 PM

Hmm, indeed, bodhibuilder is not an installer. In fact it is a tool to create an ISO, so you have a bootable liveCD of your system, and it can be used to make backups, without creating the full iso.

The installer on the liveCD is ubiquity, bodhibuilder has nothing to do with that process.

The screenshot below shows the content of the Bodhi4.0 64bit iso I made with the "pool" directory opened. You may notice it has all grub files needed for legacy and uefi installation, though it was made in a non-efi VBox. Using the backup method to create your install medium skips the iso-section, resulting in not having the "pool" dir and its content for the installer. That's why the bootloader installation fails.

ndkDjQr.jpg

And yes, I have used the method to do an installation using loop mount, but always had a full iso copied to a spare partition for that.

Enjoy,

Charles.

#18 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:39 AM

Correct, ubiquity is the installer for Bodhi.

What is the size of the iso you made?

Can it be used for installing to both uefi and bios-legacy mode?

And can you make it available for testing?

Cheers.

#19 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4559 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 07:56 PM

The ISO is < 700 MB, basically the same content as the Bodhi 4.0 64bit  alpha on sourceforge. I have only added a missing package (sbsigntool.deb) to the pool to avoid issues for signed bootloader installs. I can boot both legacy and uefi, even with secureboot on.

I will see if I can free some space somewhere. Will send you a pm when uploaded.

Enjoy,

Charles

#20 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 664 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:58 AM

Good to hear. Thumbs up.

Thanks and cheers. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users