Wicd in Bodhi Linux 4 / saving ARandR layout

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

The Bodhi LInux 4 alpha installed without any issues other than the ones Jeff clearly stated - so I have a suggestion, which he and the other developers are free to consider, or ignore, and one question that I can't seem to solve.

Suggestion : replace network-manager-gnome with wicd. I have consistently experienced problems with wireless connectivity with Bodhi (and other Ubuntu derivatives) until I replace network-manager-gnome with wicd. Then, problems are generally fixed immediately. How difficult this replacement would be at the developmental level, I don't know;that's why it's just a suggestion.

Problem : I've researched how to save the ARandR layout that I set so that my screen resolution will stay at 1600x1200. I save the layout file and then try to add it to Startup Applications. But I can't browse for it. I can add ARandR (which doesn't have the desired results), but not the .sh file that I save to ~/.screenlayout. 

Thanks in advance for any consideration anyone gives this post.

amerigena

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 01:38 AM

I concur with the wicd suggestion. To have eth0 fail at launch in 3.2.1 (not a countdown) is like forcing the Italian astronaut to drink instant coffee junk instead of espresso, at the International Space Station.

Start with xrandr 101, not its gui tool. Sure you can make arandr work, without a doubt. So you have all these questions now; what does that tell an observer? How to use xrandr from Debian xRandR archwiki from the arch linux folks How to set multiple resolutions using xRandR Try out those cli commands if you dare; see if you feel like using ARandR after all this.

These things are scripts that you can read. After all, you made them. Ditch those other things you can't even browse--but you can roll your own .sh files, and understand what they do, if ever you had to look at them again, 10 years from now.

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12599 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 August 2016 - 09:11 AM

nm-applet is far more user friendly in terms of the features it offers in my opinion. Supports 3g modems OOTB cleanly as well.

Feel free to change it if you'd like, but I do not intend to change the default network tool in Bodhi. I have half a dozen systems all with different networking hardware that I use on the regular that work fine with nm-applet. Nothing is going to work for everything though.

You can add your startup command to the file ~/.e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands 

#4 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 198 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:04 PM

To expand on what Jeff said about running your screen resolution file at startup, I do the same thing. My ARandR layout file is called maxres.sh, and the command I added to ~/.e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands is:

sh ~/.screenlayout/maxres.sh

#5 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:02 AM

Thank you for the answers. Appreciated.

#6 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:30 AM

OK. That didn't work.
Here's the sequence of steps I took :

1). Opened ARandR and selected the resolution that I use for my monitor, 1600x1200.
2). Saved this layout in ~./screenlayout as maxres.sh.
3). Opened the ~/.e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands text file in epad and added that same path.
4). Rebooted.
5). Got this error msg - screenshot saved to this link : http://imgur.com/JE5nLBN 

Thank you again.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12599 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:49 PM

Please post the contents of your startupcommands file along with the file permissions associated with it.

#8 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 11:49 PM

1). Contents of startupcommands :

sh ~./screenlayout/maxres.sh

2). File permissions associated with startupcommands :

bg@bbox:~/.e/e/applications/startup$ ls -l startupcommands 
-rwxrwxr-x 1 bg bg 28 Aug  2 07:16 startupcommands
bg@bbox:~/.e/e/applications/startup$ 

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12599 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:37 AM

You have your period and forward slash switched places it looks like.

#10 amerigena

amerigena

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:01 AM

I apologize for wasting your time - that was a stupid mistake. Once corrected, the script ran properly.

Thank you.

#11 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12599 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 01:13 PM

Never a waste if you have an issue. Glad you got it working.

#12 Mojosam

Mojosam

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 03:26 AM

I hope it's OK that I'm resurrecting this old thread.  I have the same problem with Bodhi always booting up with a screen resolution of 800x600 and not remembering my preference for 1680x1050.

Like amerigena, I did the following (tweaked for my parameters and fixing the /. typo):
1). Opened ARandR and selected the resolution that I use for my monitor, 1680x1050.
2). Saved this layout in ~/.screenlayout as ScreenRes.sh.
3). Opened the ~/.e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands text file in epad and added that same path.
4). Rebooted.
5). Got this error msg:
"Moksha was unable to run the application:
/home/ron/.e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands
The application failed to start."

The file permissions on the two files (startupcommands and ScreenRes.sh) are both:
-rwxrwxr-x

(One other piece of info, which I don't think is relevant here, is that I'm running Bodhi inside of VMWare Fusion 10.1.1 on Mac OS X 10.13.3)

Does anybody have any thoughts about how to fix this?  Thanks!

#13 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 251 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 04:32 PM

Hello Mojosam,

Welcome to the forums!

I recommend opening a new thread for this as necroing an old post isn't always the most conducive to getting help.

Cheers and good luck!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.4.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 40GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#14 Mojosam

Mojosam

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 February 2018 - 08:16 PM

OK!  I started a new topic here:

http://forums.bodhil...not-persistent/

If anybody has any ideas, please go over there.  Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users