shell bash sh dash rbash terminology default

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

What is actually the default shell in Bodhi?

Why does $SHELL variable gives me bash as well as command

grep -- "$LOGNAME" /etc/passwd | awk -F":" '{print $7}'

However when I try 

readlink -f $(command -v sh)

or 

ls -l "$(which sh)"

I receive dash, which is default for Debian and Ubuntu as we know.

Can you explain which shell is used by default (in Terminology or whatever)?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 31 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

It's bash, even in Debian 7 - here at Stack Exchange it is explained in full

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#3 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 02:45 PM

It's bash, even in Debian 7 - here at Stack Exchange it is explained in full

As I got from the above link, bash is the default interactive shell (is used in terminal) and dash is default for scripts. Yeah?

#4 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 01 August 2016 - 05:38 PM

Correct. I have a book that focuses on the shells that matter: bash and two others. bash is all I need. I am getting to know zsh as of this writing, but that is a matter of preference. Others use csh, but I don't need to.(If I remember correctly C programmers find that one easier for them).

Maybe if you frame your question you can make a proper choice. But don't let your choice be driven by popularity or ratings. All these shells have been around except for dash, but if you go with dash simply because it's the flavor of the month, will it work for you down the road, a few years from now? What if somebody handed you his laptop with linux on it, but he cared not for dash; can you list his directory contents or cough up a menu? We're not here to dictate, mind you. Ultimately you will work on your PC. How often will you run into a command line? Will you just shrug and say, no dash--no deal. But bash will be there so I will know my way around. Later on you may have benefited from learning dash because it helped you get more out of your system, or you met someone at a user group LAN party or installfest who is learning it too. But these are fictional what-ifs.  Like when someone tells you that Jason Bourne used bash; don't believe a word of it

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#5 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 August 2016 - 07:54 AM

What if somebody handed you his laptop with linux on it, but he cared not for dash; can you list his directory contents or cough up a menu?

Will you just shrug and say, no dash--no deal. But bash will be there so I will know my way around

But don't let your choice be driven by popularity or ratings 

Fully agree. I am very pragmatic about technologies and usually learn not those ones which are popular but those which allow solving tasks faster and simpler than others.

The main intention of my tread was to understand which shell policy Bodhi sticks to (different distroes have different shell preferences and defaults) and how can I adapt it to my needs. I started to learn shell programming recently using this book and as you can see there is little novelty here  :) I want to learn fundamental basics (as of which Bourne shell made) first of all.

#6 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4617 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 11 August 2016 - 01:21 PM

Dash is more basic and therefor a bit more limited then bash. AFAIK Debian and Ubuntu have set dash to be default for scripts, like in the bootsequence, as it reads (much) faster then bash. For interactive shells like the terminal they have set bash to default so you have more options available.

Just my two cents.

Enjoy,

Charles

#7 Tristam

Tristam

Distro Whipping Boy

• Administrators
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:37 AM

Speculating here, but I recall in my younger days playing with OpenBSD that having a statically linked shell for scripts and such is preferable to a dynamically linked shell that requires /usr to be mounted.  This may be the same logic here, but again, that is just speculation on my part as I am too lazy to look it up right now.

Some days you're the pigeon, some days the statue

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: shell, bash, sh, dash, rbash, terminology, default

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users