Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jakfish

jakfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 12:26 PM

Using Bodhi 2.4 in both my Acer C720 Chromebook and Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t, my unlocked Cricket USB Modem (Huawei E397) is not available. I can set up a modem connection in Network Connections/Mobile Broadband, make all the right choices for T-Mobile, but the connection won't appear in Network.

I have installed usb modeswitch, and lsusb shows the modem as a modem, but it's not available as a selection in Network.

Does anybody know what I'm doing wrong?

Many thanks,

Jake

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 02 August 2016 - 01:53 PM

How recent is this modem? The kernel in 2.4 is pretty old at this point and likely won't support newer hardware.

#3 jakfish

jakfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:03 PM

Thank you for your quick post.  In the Lenovo Ideapad S10-3t, the Bodhi kernel is 3.2.0-52-generic; the Huawei E397 modem was released in 2012; it's 4G.

I have had success running this modem in Lubuntu 12.04, which came with usb modeswitch as a default installation.

Thanks again,

Jake

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4425 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:24 PM   Best Answer

sudo apt-get install modemmanager

Should do it.

Enjoy,

Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#5 jakfish

jakfish

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 August 2016 - 02:49 PM

That did it! When I tried to replicate the same in the C720, I found that Jeff's custom ISO already had usb modeswitch and modemmanger installed. Modem connected right away.

Only strange thing is that I'm getting 3G, with no option for LTE. With the same modem, I have a LTE option in Xubuntu 14.04 and it automatically connects to 4G.

Given my old hardware, this step-down prolly doesn't matter.

Again, much thanks for such fast help.

Jake

#6 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 August 2016 - 12:35 PM

The other benefit is, should you find yourself in some remote place where the only place to get online is at the public library, and they haven't heard of fast internet, fiber, and they point you to the gas station for diesel when you pronounced it DSL, at the very least you can get internet via old-school "dial-up" using modem manager. You will learn how your parents got online in those days, or what the RJ11 connector is for, that mysterious port in that ol' laptop.

Don't forget to mark your thread/post as "answered" and other folks new to Bodhi (not necessarily living on an island with POTS, or plain old telephone system) can find the solution here when they are faced with a similar problem. Enjoy!

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users