• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eduard

eduard

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 11:08 AM

Hi there!

I just installed Bodhi 3.2.1 on a notebook, that offers UEFI booting and it took me quite a while to find out how this has to be done. I assume I am not the only one (not so experienced) who runs into this problem. Thus I recommend you explain how it has to be done in your installation guide to make sure no one thinks "Damn, Bodhi is not even in grade to provide a working installation process - I give it up, I better go for windows...".

You could put something like the following to the paragraph "II A Prepare your computer":

1. Enter the BIOS and set UEFI booting to "disable"

2. Reboot and enter the BIOS again to set the boot sequence. Note that to start the installation process (step "II B Reboot to USB") you have to boot from the USB stick but after the installation (step "II C First Boot") from your harddisk. There are 2 alternative ways to do so:

a. set the BIOS‘ boot sequence for the installation (step "II B") to „first: USB-stick (stick must be inserted before booting to do so); second: your hard disk“ and later when it comes to the first boot (step "II C") to „first: your hard disk“.

b. set the BIOS‘ boot sequence right away (step "II B") to „first: your hard disk“ and use the hardware boot manager (if existent often F7) to boot for the installation from the USB stick.

Futher I propose adding a link to the installation instructions in the right column of your main page, right after "Which file do I need?" and "Systems requirements".

Best regards!
Eduard

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4611 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 03 August 2016 - 02:07 PM

Nice write-up, thanks for sharing.

Alas, uefi, though having minimum requirements, offers vendors a lot of freedom in the practical implementation. Resulting in confusion at the user level. 

You described what you did to let your uefi-computer boot into the Live-usb and next (after installation) reboot to the harddrive.

If I write the same stuff for my computer this would look totally different. Example: I don't need to disable uefi to choose the usb and boot to it. Even having secure-boot enabled is no problem. To access the uefi settings I need a different key, not F7. And I assure you, a third computer will use a third method. And some are very complicated with even more user interaction before it lets you boot from a CD or usb.

The first source to help you out would be the manual for the computer in case. By the way, this has nothing to do with Bodhi Linux, every distro would have the same issue on machines with an uefi that is (even a little bit) off the basic standard.

Having all uefi quirks mentioned in the installation guide would be hard to realize and would be never complete.

But if someone feels up to the job and write a wiki entry about issues with uefi booting from cd/usb for not just 1 machine but for a wide range of computers, I would very welcome that.

Enjoy,

Charles

#3 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 04:49 PM

eduard

Have a look at Charles' response, but replace the words 'your computer' with the name and model of your notebook. I am looking at your original post and it only says 'a notebook', but the steps to work around this hurdle, as explained by Charles, vary from pc to pc. After performing the edit, you can mark your post as 'answered.' Do this, and we may have the beginnings of a wiki entry.

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 08 August 2016 - 09:55 PM

Adding install instructions to the right hand side is a good idea.

As for the rest - it is up to the end user to know how Linux installs on the specifics on their computer - if it installs at all. There is a nightmares worth of closed source locked down systems out there and we will never have wikis that cover all of them. Always best to do your research before buying a system you plan to install Linux on.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: UEFI, Installation instructions

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users