Fedora - E20 - Suspend When Closing Lid

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 evilbastard

evilbastard

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 10:46 AM

Recently installed latest version of Enlightenment on a Fedora 24 installation, and would like to have Suspend work when I close the lid on my laptop. The lid close does work with other desktops (XFCE and Gnome) but not E20.  It will suspend from the menu so I know the ACPI  is working.

I am posting here because there's not much discussion of Enlightenment on the Fedora Forum website, any insight is appreciated.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Cudochi

Cudochi

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:11 AM

Hi,

Have you tried this ?

Setting Panel => Input => ACPI Binding => In the first column, select "Lid Closed" and in the second, select "Suspend".

I must warn you, in Bodhi Linux we use Moksha, a fork of Enlightenment, and I don't know how much Moksha could be different of enlightenment. So I'm not sure that this thing will work for your problem.

And welcome in this forum.

May our frame-rates be high and our temperatures low !

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1424 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:36 AM

The Moksha is the E17 (E17 was released in 2012) fork. I am not sure we are competent to give >E17 support. The best way is asking on #e IRC channel where are many friendly "idlers" which will help you....

#4 evilbastard

evilbastard

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

Hi,

Have you tried this ?

Setting Panel => Input => ACPI Binding => In the first column, select "Lid Closed" and in the second, select "Suspend".

I must warn you, in Bodhi Linux we use Moksha, a fork of Enlightenment, and I don't know how much Moksha could be different of enlightenment. So I'm not sure that this thing will work for your problem.

And welcome in this forum.

There is no lid closed in that list.  Thanks for the quick reply :)

#5 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 03:01 PM

I have Bodhi 3.0, and lid closed is on the left hand side of the dialog in ACPI bindings, you can pick Suspend on the right hand side under System.

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#6 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:46 PM

If your using e20 in Fedora, it probably does not have the same settings available that Bodhi does.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#7 evilbastard

evilbastard

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 09:50 PM

If your using e20 in Fedora, it probably does not have the same settings available that Bodhi does.

Is there anyway to add that binding?

#8 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1424 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 04:38 AM

Have you seen my post?

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12324 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:22 AM

Under the "ACPI Bindings" box on the left side there is a "Add" button. Click it and then close your laptop screen and reopen it.

Also moving this thread to the Enlightenment sub forum as it is not Bodhi related.

#10 evilbastard

evilbastard

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:45 PM

Have you seen my post?

Yes, when I try that, it does not add anything, asks me to press a key or use ESC to quit.

#11 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 05:29 PM

Of course you have to answer the prompts. If you want to become a developer, well, I guess you have to learn how to follow instructions that are simple for a novice to understand. The Quick Start Guide is a good place, and so is another Tutorial prepared by a fellow Bodhi user. You cannot expect the binding to appear without any input. Maybe you should try again, or like what was mentioned, try the lurkers and developers on the #e channel in IRC. ESC backs out of the current step if you changed your mind, in the example above that you described. Anything else means you are about to add a binding. I believe further explanation would be superfluous.

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#12 evilbastard

evilbastard

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:34 PM

The input expected to add the binding is closing the lid. When I close the lid, nothing happens.  The binding does not get created (PS I have been using computers since 1981 so not just a "Newbie")

#13 Cudochi

Cudochi

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:16 PM

In /etc/systemd/logind.conf, is the value of the line : HandleLidSwitch= set on "ignore" ? (I think not because you said that suspend was alright with the other environment, but I want to be sure... Maybe Enlightenment use another config file to know what is the signal of the Lid.)

P.S: I don't think that the time since when you are using a computer is important. You can use a computer for 10 years and only play video games : you will have no idea of how to use your OS. Plus, nobody say that you are a newbie. "If you want to become a developer" just mean that you aren't actually a developer, and you can be high-skilled in a domain of the technology, and be a beginner in another. Maybe I misunderstood your post but you seemed to be on the defensive...

May our frame-rates be high and our temperatures low !

#14 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1424 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 08:55 PM

Evilbastard: is it possible for you to try a live Bodhi session from USB and have a look how it works on this distro?

PS: this forum appreciates the value of respect, friendly approach and enormous effort to help each other. Let's follow these principles, please...

#15 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:14 PM

The prompt I receive is not 'type a key or press ESC'. The message I get is Please trigger the ACPI event you wish to bind to.

And there was nothing else. I could close the lid, but there was nothing to add, in my specific installation, that is.

@the waiter -Suspend in a live USB session will issue a warning that suspend doesn't work in such sessions and will initiate a shutdown process instead. That goes back to E17. And I agree with the rest of your post.

So my answers are direct, nonfat, and to the point; this is a forum after all, there is room for everyone, and plenty of room for respect. No offense was intended. Try reading the responses using the voice of comic book guy from The Simpsons

#16 evilbastard

evilbastard

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 August 2016 - 09:10 AM

The prompt I receive is not 'type a key or press ESC'. The message I get is Please trigger the ACPI event you wish to bind to.

And there was nothing else. I could close the lid, but there was nothing to add, in my specific installation, that is.

@the waiter -Suspend in a live USB session will issue a warning that suspend doesn't work in such sessions and will initiate a shutdown process instead. That goes back to E17. And I agree with the rest of your post.

So my answers are direct, nonfat, and to the point; this is a forum after all, there is room for everyone, and plenty of room for respect. No offense was intended. Try reading the responses using the voice of comic book guy from The Simpsons

Thanks for the suggestion about logind.conf  The line HandleLidSwitch=suspend was commented out.  I removed comment mark and rebooted but still same result. 

#17 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 01:27 AM

unfortunately it is a systemd config file; this is uncharted territory, and new territory and I am not sure we have enough experts on board on the subject; not enough to form a subforum, at least.  And Randy's post is your best tip at this point. Good luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users