• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 21 August 2016 - 01:09 PM

I am not into cell phones - just me.  I may be forced to get a smartphone and no it doesn't have to be the highest end phone; and do not want a windows or mac phone.  i know there is an android out there but from my old info it is by google.  I HATE GOOGLE!  so is there another linux based phone - readily available that is not by google?  and not ubuntu phone because i understand it is not available here in the US or esp. in Hooterville where i live.

Thanks.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 21 August 2016 - 11:44 PM

Sailfish, FirefoxOS(?)/FirefoxPhone(?), Openmoko, Ubuntu. I believe all of those are possibilities, but, they would require you to flash a phone. I think Sailfish and Ubuntu have images for Nexus 5 handsets. Firefox might have an image for a Nexus 5 as well. Openmoko was built with Enlightenment as its UI. I don't know if there are images for anything but the stock hardware they came on though. I think MeeGo(?) had an image for a Nokia N9. There are also Android ROMS that only make use of free open source software.

Everything but Openmoko would require reflashing a phone with a new OS. If you are dead set on a smartphone and dislike of Google, you should probably make a new in person friend that could flash a phone of your preference.

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 01:11 AM

wow- i half follow you but at least you gave me some more helpful direction! Thanks birdmun!!!!

#4 Assel

Assel

• Members
  • 36 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 22 August 2016 - 06:01 AM

Give this a try.

http://wiki.cyanogen...evices#vendor=;

It is a Google-free  Android Community OS.

You have to flash your phone but it is quite easy to do.

#5 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 22 August 2016 - 10:02 AM

I forgot about Tizen based phones. Samsung is looking at getting away from Android and as such they have created Tizen. You can get a Z3 on ebay shipped from India for about 185. It is a GSM only phone, so, T-mobile/ATT/etc.

#6 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1542 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 22 August 2016 - 12:20 PM

Tizen sounds good and buying Tizen powered device we can support e developers which work for Samsung.

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 22 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

thanks - i take it flashing is like installing over the original OS.

#8 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 25 August 2016 - 08:18 AM

Yes, that is pretty much what flashing is. Not every phone has been developed for. That just means you have to do your homework before you jump in.

#9 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 25 August 2016 - 02:10 PM

yeah - i looked a bit at it and not sure it is as easy as it seems.  looked at tizen and samsung installing ubuntu - or ubuntu-based os's.  damn.... Thanks birdmun.

#10 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 193 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 27 August 2016 - 02:12 PM

Also keep in mind that flashing a new phone will almost certainly void the warranty. You may or may not care, but informed consent is important.

#11 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:24 PM

thanks - i figured that!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users