31 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:40 PM

Some brought up what I feel is probably a valid point - many of the entries in the top level menu of Moksha can be confusing for new users. 

Been kicking around some restructuring ideas - how do we feel about something like the following:

Applications

- Same Applications Sub Menu

Quick Launcher
- Opens the run everything launcher

Files

- Same sub menu Places has now

----------------------------------------------

Take Screenshot

- Take a screen shot. As an aside - I hate the screenshot saving dialog. How do we feel about having this default save the images to ~/Pictures and opening in ephoto when pressed?

About Operating System

- Help & FAQ

- About Bodhi Linux

- About Moksha Desktop

- About Theme

- Restart Desktop

Desktop Settings

- Do we even want this to be a sub menu or should it just open the settings panel?

Leave

- Same Menu Options now as System

Thoughts? Other things that could / should change?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Tristam

Tristam

Distro Whipping Boy

• Administrators
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:52 PM

I'm a bit rusty on my Bodhi user interface, but remembering back to my beloved E17 days, I liked having the Desktop Settings as a sub menu.  Is there a way to have the sub menu, but also launch the panel if "Desktop Settings" is clicked?  As for screen shots, does it still give the option to share it on the enlightenment web site?  I remember using that feature a lot.  If that's not an option with Moksha, then I would be all for saving it to ~/Pictures with the dialog stating that explicitly.

My $.02,

Tristam

Some days you're the pigeon, some days the statue

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:53 PM

The uploading to E.org fails for some users every time. Ephoto also has an option to upload an image to imgur with a couple clicks - so similar function with less work of having to pick out file paths explicitly. 

#4 Tristam

Tristam

Distro Whipping Boy

• Administrators
  • 261 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:43 PM

I should install Bodhi and hammer at it again.  I'm way out of the loop.  If ephoto does that, then I say replace the dialog with autosave and open ePhoto.

Some days you're the pigeon, some days the statue

#5 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 13 September 2016 - 11:31 PM

Where will the favourites go to? Not that i use them ever... but you missed that. 

Bad Wolf

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12501 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:04 AM

Favorites is fine where it is. I never use that so I forget it is a thing.

#7 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 44 posts
  • LocationLondon >.< Paris

Posted 14 September 2016 - 12:09 PM

Taking in the brain storming thread as Jeff kindly told me have a look and as I've been fiddling with Bodhi quite a while for the last weeks (settings things up to have it installed fine on refurbished good old boxes available at the city DIY facility). Here are my thoughts with both these newbies and (much) more experienced users in mind.

Some brought up what I feel is probably a valid point - many of the entries in the top level menu of Moksha can be confusing for new users. 

Been kicking around some restructuring ideas -

Thoughts? Other things that could / should change?

(Favorites applications → shows it on right click only to keep main menu *clear*, opt-in to add it back)
Applications
└ Same Applications Sub Menu
Quick Launcher ─╼ Opens the run everything launcher
Files
└ Same sub menu Places has now → I'm ok with "Places" too which also make sense as well as a touch of difference
Take Screenshot ─╼ Replace the dialog with autosave and open ePhoto as Tristam wrote and offer an option to just save it to ~/Pictures (having Images editor opens NN times when taking a number of screenshots would be a serious nuisance)
About your Operating System
├ Help & FAQ
├ About Bodhi Linux
├ About Moksha Desktop
├ About Theme
└ Restart Desktop
Desktop Settings
└ I'm with Tristam on this too, means if there a way to have the sub menu, but also launch the panel if "Desktop Settings" is clicked?
Leave
└ Same Menu Options now as System

PS: Oops I nearly forgot, would you keep it (menu) as localizable as possible (like in current 4.0alpha)? As a simplified and clear menu only keep being so if in a language one does get :)

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

Seeding Bodhi v4.2 Legacy: 3.50 GiB up to now.

#8 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 14 September 2016 - 02:36 PM

I was thinking that having QuickStart Bodhi should stay there, but the addition of the video tutorial prepared by one of the Bodhi users, as an alternative to simply reading about Bodhi. Some might want to watch it in action; and might be quicker than quick start.

Here is one of the HOWTO's contributed by one I'm sure you will all recognize :)

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#9 Sitting Fox

Sitting Fox

• Team
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 01:47 PM

I personally think "Everything Launcher" or similar would be better, as it helps teach the name being used. I know it'd take time to get used to using something with an entirely different name, for those times I'm silly and open up the menu to do something.

I say make Settings Panel have no sublist by default, with an option somewhere to turn on the sublist if you still want it. It took me a while to realize that items with sublist could also be clicked on their own. So I think it'd be far more user friendly to the new person to just have the one option, and then just let people who like the old way still have an option to get it back.

#10 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationCentral Victoria, Australia

Posted 15 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

Good thinking, Jeff... thank you!

I feel as you do about the menu, and would appreciate your proposed screenshot dialog.

The Everything Launcher is an excellent tool, when pre-configured as to size and content.

The EL defaults put us off at first.  Our newcomers get to like it more quickly if it opens up

all the way by default, and most of them prefer the List option for everything.  Me too.

The standard Settings sub menu is helpful for our newcomers, they tell me. 

I still find it handy when sorting out Shelves, saves a couple of clicks each time, and it is often

useful to be able to go :  Menu -> Settings -> All -> <something>

If it's easily (re)configurable then I'm good either way.

Thanks for your continuing efforts! 

Looking forward to checking out 4.0.0 Alpha 2 when it downloads....

The Alpha was very good indeed on our hardware.

All the best, Ben

#11 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 16 September 2016 - 08:03 PM

Significant progress in screenshot module.

After some debate with Jeff I modificated the shot module code in the Moksha core and the current state is:

- after pressing "screenshot" in the menu, the grabbed image is saved in ~/Screenshots folder (which I considered to be a better idea because ~/Pictures folder is localized and it is named differently in other laguages),

- if Screenshot folder is not available, it will be created,

- the image quality was set to 100 as default and there is no possibility to change it,

- the file extension will be png,

- ePhoto editor will be started automatically with the picture. But now a debate must follow:

- do we want it this way, or I will add a simple dialog with 2 buttons ("open in viewer" and "cancel")?

To do:

I am collecting some info about launching any default image viewer although I consider ePhoto to be great because of imgur upload possibility.

Stefan

#12 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

- after pressing "screenshot" in the menu, the grabbed image is saved in ~/Screenshots folder (which I considered to be a better idea because ~/Pictures folder is localized and it is named differently in other laguages),
- if Screenshot folder is not available, it will be created,

You can use 'xdg-user-dir PICTURES' for that. It uses $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/user-dirs.dir which in turn is parsed by a hellful lot of applications to find and use home directories specific to an account. It is fully configurable if needed, and also helps localization a bit further as shown in e.g. Arch wiki [1]

Lossless format is cool IMHO (I believe it has 1-9 compression levels, not 1-100 quality).

To have a dialog shows up by default at each screenshot is cool too... and more if it could be made possible allowing to disable it. antiX has a handy screenshot tool that has uploading image for example yet doesn't "come in the way" too blatantly when you don't need that, if I remember well.

[1]: https://wiki.archlin...ser_directories

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

#13 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 01:18 PM

@the waiter

For quick image viewing i use qiv BUT it is a viewer, nothing more, nothing less.

but a viewer with a built-in upload-to-imgur functionality, is a better choice IMHO.

staind

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#14 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 02:29 PM

Staind: yea. That is a purpose. We want to have working solution because upload to e.org doesnt work properly.

#15 Flymo

Flymo

Diamond Geezer

• Members
  • 235 posts
  • LocationCentral Victoria, Australia

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:06 PM

@The_waiter

Nice work, Stefan, thanks to you and to Jeff for doing that.  Feels much better than the old one, and does the job for me.

Had to use :

sudo apt-get install screenshot-moksha

... since the Appcenter page trips up on :

W: The repository 'http://packages.bodhilinux.com/bodhi xenial Release' is not signed.

... this is also triggered by:

sudo apt-get update

But hey, this is still an alpha release!  

Do like the screenshot!      Ben

#16 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts

Posted 18 September 2016 - 09:21 PM

Damn, I am such an "unstable" guy :) I will promise everything. Config dialog almost ready:
http://i.imgur.com/8OXGYjT.png

Now we have all we need. Although I am thinking of adding a time delay value in secs for better menu grabbing...and we eventually do not need extra screenshot module which takes some space on the shelf.

#17 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 September 2016 - 10:08 AM

New screenshot for Moksha looks better and better  :)  Actually encouraged me to update (install) alpha2 over stable.

#18 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:45 PM

OKay, new screenshot module state:

- config dialog completely done,

- config dialog items binded with the main code items, 

- timer item added,

- picture quality item added,

- desktop notification with the timer countdown added

All working. Doing some testing in next few days...

http://i.imgur.com/p0dkyv4.png

Enjoy :)

PS: What I did not know and found in the code was, you can grab only the active window (not whole desktop) if you bind short key with "take shot" item under "window : actions" section. Great :)

#19 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4567 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:19 PM

PS: What I did not know and found in the code was, you can grab only the active window (not whole desktop) if you bind short key with "take shot" item under "window : actions" section. Great :)

Just right click in the window-border to see "take-screenshot" in the pop-up menu. It will only grab the window. Very useful.

Charles.

#20 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1635 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:39 PM

Ahh, great. I also did not know...:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users