Photo

[EFL-testing]: select text unavailable

alpha EFL testing

Best Answer tuk0z, 24 September 2016 - 10:33 AM

'Text selection disappears' issue is gone after moving out my former and carefully backed up ~/.e set-up (language, layout, theme and gadgets).

Tested with Midori, ePad, urxvt and Abiword.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationLondon >.< Paris

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:09 PM

On Bodhi 4-alpha updated with the b4testing repo.

Select any number of strings in ePad, and Midori, the selection disappears immediately. And is not added to the clipboard history (with 'Cursor Selection' On). Mouse or keyboard do not make a diff.

That makes these apps poorly usable (i.e. a bloc-note with no copy function)

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

Seeding Bodhi v4.2 Legacy: 3.50 GiB up to now.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12549 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:39 AM

Can't reproduce text selection issues here in ePad with the latest release. Working as expected in Chrome as well. Anyone else having this issue?

#3 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:53 PM

Did you copy your former ~/.e/ and former $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/<browser> folders settings? That I did from Bodhi 3.2.1 to Bodhi 4.0.0alpha2.

Also I forgot to specify ePad and Midori are the only apps showing this disappearing text selection issue. It works fine in vim, Palemoon and other.

I just realized Bodhi does use less power on my netbook than already super efficient Arch... geez <3

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12549 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 10:22 PM

Can you post an image of the issue you are having? I am unsure what you mean by "disappearing text selection"

#5 sixtharmy

sixtharmy

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:52 AM

I don't know if this is what kozaki is referring to as "disappearing text selection," but I've noticed that often, but not always, (in alpha) when I highlight and copy text and then go to paste it elsewhere (usually between web pages or into a web search box, etc.) I'll right click at the destination box and paste won't be available in the drop down. Paste is in the listing, but in unavailable grey not executable black type. I've also noticed that if I initially click on copy twice, then paste will always be functional in the drop down. I think I've seen the same behavior a time or two when I tried to copy a long command from a web page and then tried to paste it into epad when editing a file. I think I also saw it happen once when I copied a file name in terminology and then tried to paste it into a new terminology command line. I wish I could be more sure of what I'm saying here, but it's been one of those intermittent problems that I simply overcome by going back and copying the text a second time and I haven't been really keeping track of when I've seen it occur. Could there be a little bug in clipboard, or with how it integrates with other programs? I have alpha-1 installed and bodhi xenial b4main active so I assume I'm running pretty much alpa-2 and the latest firefox. (It just did it again when I copied "bodhi xenial b4main" from another forum post and tried to paste it here, then worked when I went back and repeated the copy-paste.) You've done great work here. I'm sorry to have to hand you a damned intermittent.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12549 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 04:59 AM

You folks having copy + paste issues - do you have the extra moksha-clipboard module loaded? If not Moksha does not handle your copy + paste events - never has. That is the purpose of the module being written - which I use daily with minimal issues.

If you need a stable / well tested clipboard tool glipper is a bit resource heavy but functional.

#7 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:16 AM

Can you post an image of the issue you are having? I am unsure what you mean by "disappearing text selection"

If we agree on what a string(s) selection is, then I can barely add to that description I made on first post

Select any number of strings in ePad, and Midori, the selection disappears immediately.

I.e. select aka highlight the "foo bar" strings in "blab blab balab foo bar blab blab" and watch your selection aka highlighted strings disappear; anytime just after you selected (short ones) or during the selection (long ones).
Oh and I found that if I Ctrl+c while shift selecting strings, then the later will be copied.

@Jeff not sure how screenshoting texts and web pages would help :)

Yeap moksha-clipboard module loaded.

In my experience Parcellite is lighter than heavyweight glipper and Clipit is both way lighter and has all the features I need.

Will try again this afternoon in case you wish some more input/test/else please mention it.

#8 tuk0z

tuk0z

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:33 AM   Best Answer

'Text selection disappears' issue is gone after moving out my former and carefully backed up ~/.e set-up (language, layout, theme and gadgets).

Tested with Midori, ePad, urxvt and Abiword.

#9 sixtharmy

sixtharmy

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:17 PM

Yes Jeff the moksha-clipboard module is loaded. I just tried to hightlight-copy-paste "moksha-clipboard module" into this "Reply to topic" editing window both from your post #6 and within the Reply window itself (1st sentence to second sentence). System never gave an executable paste option on first attempt, but did give the option and would paste on second try. I also tried using the ctrl-c, ctrl-v combination and similarly found that I didn't get a paste until I executed the command a second time. I'm going to try backing up and emptying my ~/.e directory. I'll let you know what happens.

#10 sixtharmy

sixtharmy

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 03:33 PM

"moksha-clipboard module" "moksha-clipboard module" "moksha-clipboard module" OK clearing ~/.e has corrected the problem both for mouse and keyboard commands. I'll go through setting my desktop back up the way I like it and see if it reappears.

#11 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1678 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 25 September 2016 - 04:16 PM

Moksha-clipboard module could have some hidden glitches as we code it as our first module ever. Sorry for that. Anyway, any feedback allow us make things better...

#12 sixtharmy

sixtharmy

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:58 PM

Copy-Paste still, working properly after I customized my desktop to my liking. Must have been some configuration problem. It could be something that happened as I added, removed, and configured the applications I like. All these programs were already installed, configured, and in the menus where I wanted them when I cleared ~./e, so they wouldn't have affected anything.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alpha, EFL, testing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users