gedit error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wimc

wimc

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 08:45 PM

What does in the quote mean? was going to edit this with gedit and message below showed.

(gedit:2814): Gtk-WARNING **: Calling Inhibit failed: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files

Thanks

Was able to accomplish above with epad.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12290 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:48 AM

Looks like the text editor is looking for some Gnome specific setting. Does the application fail to load when displaying this message? If so it might require Gnome ( or at the very least Gnome settings ) to run.

#3 wimc

wimc

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 06:48 AM

gedit and terminology work as they should. No idea what to check.

Never had the problem before, temporarily went back to Windows 10 Home (got sick* of it after an 2 hours of use), then went back to Bodhi.

*  uninstall some apps, they reinstall themselves automatically, how pathetic is that.

Screenshot shows what happens when a simple change is made, I don't dare save it, bodhi will not load if I do.

[screenshot removed]

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 21 September 2016 - 09:42 AM

Hmm, gedit is the gnome text-editor. When started using the terminal it shows a warning (not an error) because it misses a gnome addition.
The default text editor for Moksha is epad that does the same as gedit for your purpose. The only advantage in gedit is the built-in syntax check, much appriciated by people that are coding.

For your grub issue you should open a support topic. Don't rely on stuff that is written years ago as grub has changed a lot the last few years.

Enjoy,
Charles.

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 2.4.0-64 & Bodhi 3.0.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 2.4.0-32 non-pae & Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy

#5 wimc

wimc

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 04:04 PM

Prefer gedit, last time running Bodhi, message never showed when editing that file. Seems when I decide to reinstall bodhi something different goes wrong.

Doesn't really matter, epad saved the day when needed, so grub menu or whatever showed when booting would not show.

Also, Bodhi saved the day, I hated windows 10.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12290 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:42 AM

Does that message actually prevent Gedit from functioning? Looks harmless.

#7 wimc

wimc

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

Nope, still use gedit for editing my website files and everything else works.

Was wondering (or if anyone knew) what the message meant.

Won't let me edit the grub file, not that I really need to mess with the grub file again.

#8 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4295 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:05 AM

Did you use gksudo to open gedit? You can't save system files when edited with only user permissions.

The GTK warning in the terminal is really harmless and has only to do with the gui, not with the functionality of gedit. When you open gedit from the menu you won't see a message at all, but it still misses the same gnome thingy.

Enjoy,
Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 2.4.0-64 & Bodhi 3.0.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 2.4.0-32 non-pae & Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy

#9 wimc

wimc

• Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:38 AM

Just used sudo, exactly what the website had

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Always done it that way when I have a brain fart and install Win 10 thinking I could make it work, then I would insert the Bodhi Linux CD and restart and install Bodhi (as only OS).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users