Photo

Not everything has to be fullscreen, please (SOLVED-FINI)

alwaysmax

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:52 AM

Remember that the desktop *is* the start button for enlightenment and the other *box window managers (Blackbox, fluxbox, openbox et al). When the tutorial called QuickStart opens, there is no space left to hit the desktop and keep going/working. And there is no way for the new user to find out that clicking on the desktop is the beginning of everything. I had to cough up an xrandr to start desktop panning, put a little margin on the sides. One doesn't need to bring that cursor to a very small corner, simply to "start" getting productive. What's with that bar stretching all the way across the bottom? Looks too much like LXDE or cinammon or something; it seems to want to block you from shoving windows out or below, when the desktop allows you to go past those artificial boundaries, and into the next adjacent workspace.

There is a reason that the number one operating system is called "Windows"; not "Walls"--the latter isn't quite catchy. (/me takes off curmudgeon hat) This is Moksha, and there is no need to make it look like the old stuff.

additional tags UX UI, desktop manager,

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12416 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 21 September 2016 - 01:46 AM

I've read this post twice now and I am still unsure what you are trying to say / suggest. Can you be more specific?

#3 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:22 AM

The "start" button is unnecessary. Try the desktop without the start module. Just click on the bodhi logo in the center, for instance.

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#4 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 12:21 PM

This has been discussed a shitload of times already. The start button is a good idea. FIN. 

Really ppl who try the live disk for the first time will never ever think about just clicking anywhere. 

Bad Wolf

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

i agree - fuzzy post and less than fuzzy logic.

i had no issues with bodhi and actually love everything about it.  the other distros are way too much like windblows.

i had to ask some questions and learn a bunch of stuff but at my basic level it was all doable and also seemed rather logical - just stuff not exactly the same things re: terminology or where and how to get to it or access it.  knew it better when i was tweaking it and working on the inside of it more but since it is tweaked - do not even use most of the stuff on the inside anymore.  By inside i mean the various sublevels or submenus etc.

i too was lost by what he was writing.

#6 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 02:51 PM

not to worry, boys; just making sure we're not far off from the original quick start tutorial, and i quote "The Main menu, and two of its submenus, are available at the click of the mouse – i.e. a click on any empty spot of the desktop:" When I do a full blown install on my uber laptop, Bodhi 4.0 will be there among the distro choices

#7 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 136 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 23 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

This has been discussed a shitload of times already. The start button is a good idea. FIN. 

Really ppl who try the live disk for the first time will never ever think about just clicking anywhere. 

not to worry, boys; just making sure we're not far off from the original quick start tutorial, and i quote "The Main menu, and two of its submenus, are available at the click of the mouse – i.e. a click on any empty spot of the desktop:" When I do a full blown install on my uber laptop, Bodhi 4.0 will be there among the distro choices

Agree to both, and actually a good thing that "start buttons" is redundant:

• the start button made easier for 1st timer to strolling around in Bodhi. I can't deny that Moksha / Enlightenment is the most alien real DE for Windows and Mac graduatees. Zorin, Chalet, or Elementary is more at home for them. and,
  • I can just remove the start button myself anyway, cause for "Bodhi and Openbox" experienced person like Us, desktop click menu is just a LOT faster. 1st main reason I love Moksha (1st Moksha is FAST, both in usage and setup due to bundles / packs, 2nd the ability to change theme from the desktop) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users