• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 happywanderer

happywanderer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:05 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie to Bodhi.  Mint has been my main OS for the the last 5 years or so.  I will soon be getting a new laptop (and printer).  Bodhi seems like a good OS to load onto the new setup.  

While running mint I was never able to get my Brother Monochrome printer/scanner to work without booting up windows. Does anyone know offhand or have any words of wisdom to pass on about what monochrome lasers might work easily with Bodhi without having to run windows?

Thank you in advance,

Peter

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1588 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 22 September 2016 - 11:11 PM

Have you tried installing a driver for your printer? You did not mention a model number...

I have good experience with samsung printer devices but I have found sth for you which perhaps help you as a start point: 

http://support.broth...280dw_us&os=128

PS: Welcome here

#3 happywanderer

happywanderer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 04:30 AM

Thanks. Will check it out.  I had a brother DCP 7040.  I did download the driver, but never got it working.  That printer is now in need of replacement.

#4 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:17 AM

If you happen to be "just looking" and saw an HP LASER printer (not laserjet nor inkjet), HP would be a good choice

And I will also be getting the laptop I never thought I'd get :) After gathering a collection of bulletproof Thinkpads, I think it's time to switch, but not Lenovos.

And forget about struggling with printer drivers, man, so old-school you could grow your own beard setting up Brother; haven't you heard about cups/CUPS, newbie. That is, if you want to use your printer for printing stuff like HOWTOs and manuals. Or receipts. Matter of fact, you can learn Linux at your own pace; just point your browser to tldp.org. The Linux Documentation Project, tldp.org.

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#5 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 23 September 2016 - 01:13 PM

One solution would be to install printer meta package (printer-driver-all) behind your printer manager.

Most printer supported out of the box. :)

#6 happywanderer

happywanderer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 September 2016 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for those suggestions staind and BeGo.  I looked at those pages (tidp.org and cups.org).  It looks promising.  Are most printers plug and play with these?

#7 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 139 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:36 PM

Thanks for those suggestions staind and BeGo.  I looked at those pages (tidp.org and cups.org).  It looks promising.  Are most printers plug and play with these?

Yes. Fact is, CUPS is one of driver automatically installed by printer driver meta package. ;)

sdlVyG7.png

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12439 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:05 AM

If you are using the stable release installing the package bodhi-printing from your package manager / via the app center will give you a GUI for finding / using printers.

#9 happywanderer

happywanderer

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2016 - 10:27 PM

Thanks Jeff and everyone!

This sounds like it could be potentially straightforward ...unlike what it was like to try to get my brother printer to work on mint.  Looking forward to setting up Bodhi soon!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users