cannot figure power management

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 markf

markf

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 October 2016 - 12:21 AM

i finally got my ux31 asus zenbook working, mostly, but i need to figure out how to enable power savings when not plugged in. i have some screen settings set that will help but i cannot make heads or tails of the power management thing and cant find any docs for it. i simply do not understand how to use that control panel. can someone explain and give me a good starting setup i can work from?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 07 October 2016 - 05:36 PM

Bodhi really has no real power saving abilities except for shutting the screen off. Here is your best bet http://askubuntu.com...ilar-to-jupiter

If it is not in the repositories go to the software channel and request it.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1619 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:32 PM

I am not sure Randy. Bodhi has got an ability to adjust CPU power. Module is called "Cpufreq" and you can easily load it under module setting/system. You can adjust cpu behavior on demand or manually set to max or min performance. In some cases (older kernel or little trick :) ) you can set even CPU frequency according your needs. Here is my set up:

http://i.imgur.com/s7LqODM.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/vaAhmXM.jpg 

BTW: thanx for interesting link

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 07 October 2016 - 08:59 PM

hmm, the power management setting is for the priority your CPU applies between apps and processes, this is not really meant for battery savings, but might be important if you have a background job you want to reserve some dedicated capacity for.

Settings>Screens>Blanking is what you want. Yuo can set it so that after a certain time the screen goes black, saving power. If you think you need more you can choose setting the machine to suspend shortly after blanking, so you are on really low power, with your computer sleeping. (disabled grafics and spinning disks stopped) Only thing it does is waiting for input to wake up.

Enjoy,

Charles

#5 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 08 October 2016 - 11:50 AM

now i can appreciate an image sharing utility as in imgur, and we can even use it as an eventual replacement for the screenshot module. the current imgur api makes it too easy to share not just screenshots but videos, any video, that you don't know what a simple arrow down or mouseclick will show you next. It can be some clip that's rated not safe for work viewing or not safe for women (NSFW)

thanks to the waiter for the shots of the CPU module in Bodhi. At least the next image was a vidclip of a nutcase waving a flag in the middle of a hurricane in Florida. I believe the more technical term cheeky bastard equally applies, and can actually be seen in a posted comment (yet another thing to watch out for in public places)

Might be better to contact the e-dev team about the 'share' part not really sharing, or the problems posting screenshots, rather than relying on a truly open image sharing place. The only alternative is to roll our own image hosting place. I would rank that as a "nice-to-have" instead of a "must have" 

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#6 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1619 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 08 October 2016 - 12:51 PM

Staind: I contacted E-devs for uploading issue to the e.org. Unfortunately their answer was "it is working here". So if you have a better influence or speech than me, just go ahead and persuade them to fix it. Or recode the shot module for uploading to any safe hosting place. Modules are under GNU licence so you can easily modify them. 

And secondly why not to help forum people? E/Moksha desktop is different to others. People are struggling sometimes. And the post can be viewed by very unexperienced users which are looking for a solution or just consider worth trying. 

Sorry I really didn't understand your post...

http://forums.bodhil...-menu/?p=100636

#7 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 08 October 2016 - 02:16 PM

now i can appreciate an image sharing utility as in imgur, and we can even use it as an eventual replacement for the screenshot module. the current imgur api makes it too easy to share not just screenshots but videos, any video, that you don't know what a simple arrow down or mouseclick will show you next. It can be some clip that's rated not safe for work viewing or not safe for women (NSFW)

thanks to the waiter for the shots of the CPU module in Bodhi. At least the next image was a vidclip of a nutcase waving a flag in the middle of a hurricane in Florida. I believe the more technical term cheeky bastard equally applies, and can actually be seen in a posted comment (yet another thing to watch out for in public places)

Might be better to contact the e-dev team about the 'share' part not really sharing, or the problems posting screenshots, rather than relying on a truly open image sharing place. The only alternative is to roll our own image hosting place. I would rank that as a "nice-to-have" instead of a "must have" 

Better yet, you can have your intended images just show up in the post by using the image button making sure the link is  appended with .jpg or .png accordingly.

thusly...

s7LqODM.jpg

and...

vaAhmXM.jpg

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#8 markf

markf

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 09 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

thanks for clarifying and suggesting cpufreq.... it's so nice to finally get this laptop working on bodhi...i've missed bodhi...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users