Torrents

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 teak

teak

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 13 October 2016 - 11:19 AM

What does torrent and MC5 have to do with downloading? What is MC5 anyway?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1521 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

MD5 is a checksum value. When iso is created, it is easy to generate a file checksum for controlling the file you downloaded is the same as uploaded. So, when you download iso image (no matter which way, torrent or sth) you should generate a checksum in your PC and compare with number on the site. If equal, you have the same copy as on server. If not, you can be in trouble during installation process for example.

#3 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 434 posts
  • Location26.13069N,97.63676W

Posted 13 October 2016 - 12:20 PM

I think (I could be mistaken) that it's MD5 and it's a specific instance of the more general "checksum". That's where a number is assigned to a file by a complicated system of summing the bits/bytes/blocks that it comprises. Once the file is transferred, the integrity of the download is verified by reproducing that sum and comparing to the one performed at the origin. It's not perfect but it's a pretty strong indicator.

As I understand it, "bit torrent" is a file transfer process that is akin to "streaming", familiar to media consumers. It is an alternative to FTP which is a message/packet based process.

I could be all wrong on all scores but I'm sure I'll be corrected in short order it that's the case.

Bob Rashkin

#4 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 182 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

You can look up the meanings of such terms on sites like http://techterms.com/. In this case use the site's Search box to search for 'torrent' and 'checksum'.

#5 teak

teak

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 06:47 PM

MC Midnight Commander.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users