14 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 13 October 2016 - 09:37 PM

For those who care - what in your mind would the "AppPack" release include for its default software? New release is a chance to get a fresh take on such things. In my mind it has at least:

• VLC
  • LibreOffice
  • Chromium Browser
  • Qalculate
  • Printing / Samba Support
  • Pinta Image Editor
  • Transmission
  • Evince

Other suggestions?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:05 AM

I think it should also have a dvd/cd burning app like xfburn. And maybe a decent music player.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:05 AM

Deadbeef

Darktable

Pidgin or an other chat thingy

Bad Wolf

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:32 AM

VLC plays music.

I don't want to ship a plethora of audio codecs by default because we get into legal issues. VLC plays everything by default including most music files.

#5 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 138 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 14 October 2016 - 03:08 AM

Well, we could:

- add one per app category, pick the "smartest" one
    Burning Software [XFBurn]
    Chat Clients [Pidgin]
    Email Clients [Claws. Thunderbird too slow.]
    File Managers [PCManFm]
    Games [PlayOnLinux, well, the other OS is a game for us :P ]
    Icon Sets [anything you like :) ]
    Image Editing [Pinta]
    Image Viewers [ePhoto. No need for anything fancy here]
    Math and Science [Qalculate!]
    Moksha Modules [CpuFreq]
    Multimedia [VLC]
    Multimedia Production [I vote for none]
    Office Software [Libre Office or WPS. Other just not mature enough]
    PDF Readers [ePdfView]
    System Tools [Printer Support + Synaptic? :) ]
    Text Editors [gEdit]
    Themes [anything you like :) ]
    Torrent Clients [Transmission]
    Web Browsers [I hate Chromium cause it too "voracious", but none better :(, or You can going naughty with Tor Browser  :P  ]

- Or, we put the app list as "one press install all bundle" link on AppCenter like 2.0 Pratibha Era. I vote this one better. Even without it, I normally just install empty Bodhi and add needed metapackages from Ubuntu Repo anyways. ;)

#6 JollyRoger

JollyRoger

• Team
  • 191 posts
  • LocationHigh Wycombe, UK

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:41 AM

WPS Office - ideal for folks migrating from Windows and MS Office

Firefox and Thunderbird

Synaptic

Mirage is simple easy photo software - I like to have that as well as something more capable.

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12430 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:00 PM

Mirage is simple easy photo software - I like to have that as well as something more capable.

You should try the latest version of Ephoto with 4.0.0 beta - it covers basically all the feature mirage does as this point.

#8 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1578 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 14 October 2016 - 01:15 PM

I am a big WPS Office fan and I agree, it is very close to MS Office. But it lacks locale support for many languages which could be an annoyance for people which are used to their mother tongue. Checking spelling is one thing but other is WPS menus. Libreoffice has got much better support...

Moreover: WPS Office for Linux will never support VBA macros (I asked them) while LO does support VBA. I tested some simple codes.

Just my POV.

#9 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 637 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 14 October 2016 - 02:48 PM

I love WPS office but I agree with the waiter, in this situation libreoffice is probably the better choice. And it really is more powerful. Also WPS doesn't support the Open Document Format.

And with the PDF viewer, while I want to use epdf I've found it couldn't open some .pdf files. I still had to install evince.

Would it be possible or even viable to create a script and present it with a desktop icon that can run the dd command to help users create a live usb for bodhi ?

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#10 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 306 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:11 PM

Would it be possible or even viable to create a script and present it with a desktop icon that can run the dd command to help users create a live usb for bodhi ?

I could create a script that would give a suggestion for a command, but dd is much too dangerous for my liking to create a script that will just plow forward and start outputting 1's & 0's to a location. (Even then, I wouldn't feel right about that either unless I slathered it with disclaimers everywhere stating that I'm not responsible for any loss of data.) I can't see a way to make a script that is completely airtight to the point where no-one will ever lose data using it. That's why it has to be done by somebody who is sitting at the keyboard making their own decisions.

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle, or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

Forum Rules

#11 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:20 PM

Personally, the lesser apps the better. That has always been the Bodhi way.

As long as it includes one browser. And talking about browsers, for example, whichever we choose as the default, mathematically it will not be the majority choice.

Midori, for example, has been the default, I understand the choice (small, lightweight...) though the first thing I do is to uninstall it and install firefox.

And the main thing is.... I shouldn't complain about it; and it's fair.

And I also uninstall other stuff that comes with it, and again, I should complain about it.

Up to you, just that the lesser the better.

No libreoffice, thunderbird, wps, vlc... please.

If we want those, let us install ourselves.

How difficult can that be?

Thanks for hearing us out.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#12 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1578 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:32 PM

We are talking about app pack version gohlip. App pack follows the newbie needs and this is pretty common in other distros. Of course I will never install this version but I understand the reason why we should have it. I know how new users struggle with Bodhi itself and furthermore with apps installation. Be sure, some are not able to install Libre Office by themselves...

#13 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 663 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:37 PM

We are talking about app pack version gohlip.

Yay!!! Thanks, and very happy to hear this.

Very glad I misunderstood.

Now about this 'App pac', to me at least, it has no relevance as I can install anything I like, whether in the app pack or not.

Not to pour cold water on it, but please carry on, and sorry for the interruption. :unsure:

Cheers. (and sorry)

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#14 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 14 October 2016 - 07:01 PM

I love VLC and LibreOffice. I dont use much on my linux boxes...

- Kevin

#15 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1578 posts

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:14 AM

Generally I don't care very much which apps will be used in app pack version. But if this version is aimed to new users I would like to see some modules. Maybe the trash module on the screen/shelf and deskshow module would be fine. After years of being a forum member I know some people are looking for them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users