Not a seasoned pro, but.....

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 teak

teak

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:19 AM

I have been discovering differences in Linux systems and have found some great ideas.  So, I was wondering if it is worth it to have two distros in one PC? And how much disk space to allot. 

I hear Fedora is horrible with software. I don't know about SUSE, a friend tells me he likes it. There are other ubuntu distros, just discovereded Lubuntu.

I am having a great time with this 1000% satisfied.

Keep up the good work. One thing, maybe there can be a change away from black.

Thanks

Gassho

Ichinyo  

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 04:47 AM

"I hear Fedora is horrible with software" how? "I hear Bodhi is horrible with software"

One of these statements is a lie. Bodhi is truly minimalist in this regard; it installs nothing.

But hey, don't take my word for it. If you think so, and can say 1000 percent satisfied, then I can safely say your math sucks, and Bodhi can't help you there. Draw the line at one hundred, so you can say I am a hundred percent satisfied, and people will pay attention. What about you, have you been paying attention? Perhaps. Paying attention to the right people, or to just general scuttlebutt. Did that person back up his statement about Fedora with the facts? How could he know what software you use? What if you were skilled with a paintbrush, or with multimedia and video DJ applications and were more creative than the guy that spends hundreds of bucks to stay on top of his game?

So you start doing your homework, and make Bodhi your new standard; if the next live disk that you try turns out to be a dud because you spend more time fixing it than actually using it, then ditch it. Try SUSE, or arch, or gentoo. Form your own opinion because there is one person that listens to you. Read about other distros on distrowatch.com.  Grab the next Linux Format magazine to try out their new coverdisc; there is always something new to learn from that magazine, or from that CD.

Next time somebody asks you to help him get rid of a virus, you say Let me take a look. But when he turns on his PC, and you saw Windows 10 or something similar, turn to face him and look him in the eye and say My rates just doubled, and tell him You have better things to do. Get a windows guy to clean up that mess; I have the ultimate antivirus and it only costs sixty dollars.

Then you show him the stick with the word "Bodhi" on it.

And send fifty-nine dollars as a donation. :)

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#3 teak

teak

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:21 AM

I hope there are better re[lies, too much effort in the obvious. I never tried Fedora. I just thought it would be fun an educational to look into other things. That is it. I got the indication on the Korora website that Fedora package loading was difficult. Yes, I ama primary use of Bodhi. WIndows, I use that sometimes. TI hope I get more comments from a more different and better perspective.

#4 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1537 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:50 AM

I have been discovering differences in Linux systems and have found some great ideas.

I wonder which ideas do you mean?! Maybe after some explanation we can consider if two distros is a good choice for you... (although I am really happy with the Bodhi one :) ) You should be able to do the same in any "common" distribution after installing suitable apps. Or maybe I have missed something...

Stefan

#5 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 323 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 18 October 2016 - 12:13 PM

You could also use virtualbox and try individual distros in a VM... when done delete the VM and try another or if you have room enough create several VMs to try.   I use VMs for a lot of things and its nice to be able to test things out before committing my hardware.

- Kevin

#6 staind

staind

• Banned
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 02:08 PM

Or, just stay on top of developments. And keep an open mind to try out other things e.g. refracta, dd, devuan, and so on.

In case you have a hard time choosing a shirt, pick the black one with the words "Bodhi Linux" on it.

#7 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 165 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 09 January 2017 - 07:47 PM

Not trying to resurrect an old post but...the beauty of modern PCs are that they are fast, affordable and storage is cheap, cheap, cheap.  I would just install a bunch of different distros, either on the same drive using partitions or even on separate drives.  Test drive and see what you like!

I haven't done much work with VMs, so for me, what I propose is easy.  If you have worked with VMs, that is going to be an even easier solution.

I have run SUSE, Arch, Puppy, Slackware, Mint, Ubuntu, etc...what keeps me coming back is the middle ground of Bodhi and frankly, an easy going community.  I would love to start from scratch and don't like to dissuade others, but for me, Arch was a bit too stuffy and had too many rules in their community.  There appeared to be this odd double standard...post to the forums as an expert or get the boot...soooo, what is forum for again?  Oh, that's right, help on questions or topics to discuss that you don't fully grasp.  This is just my experience - your mileage will vary!  Once I am an "expert" I will try Arch again and likely enjoy it more.  With other distros I didn't like their package managers, file manager, appearance, bloat, etc. 

Anyway, play around - GRUB makes things easy these days!  You can literally download, install, play with and delete a distro in as little as a few hours.

I hope this is some helps - good luck and have fun!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users