Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 735 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 08:49 PM

Congrats and thanks for the hard work.  i may try to get the 64 bit version around the holidays.  just way too much work to tweak 2 different laptops.  way too much work to do here at present.  thanks Jeff!

#4 BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 31 October 2016 - 12:32 AM

Congratulations! :D

When Bodhi 4.0.0 was released, Japan was in the morning.
I am immediately download and install the 64-bit.
I was booting AppPack, this installer has to display the Japanese. I was surprised! :blink:

It would have can also be displayed in Chinese and Korean.

BodhiLinux4-installer-500.jpg

I feel like I did not describe the Japanese information of Bodhi Linux. It's here:
http://installlinux....メモ/bodhi-linux/

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) form Japan

菩提 = ぼだい = Bodhi

Bodhi Linux | Linux memo (Japanese) hhttp://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/bodhi-linux/

#5 wimc

wimc

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationWashougal, WA USA

Posted 02 November 2016 - 11:21 AM

Cool, congratulations BL team.

My computer - Dell XPS 8910, Bodhi Linux 4.1.0-64 (no other OS), Intel Core I7-6700 CPU @ 3.4 GHz, 16 GB ram, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia Gefore GTX 750 Ti with 2 GB, 27" display at 1920x1080 res.

Parents computer - Dell XPS 8700, Bodhi Linux 4.1.0-64 (no other OS), Intel Core I7-4790 CPU @ 3.6 GHz, 8 GB ram, 1 TB HDD, Nvidia Gefore GT 720 with 4 GB (1GB standard, 3 GB shared), 27" display at 1920x1080 res.

#6 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 24 November 2016 - 02:34 PM

BTW, previously I could access any system setting applet just from main menu (Start >> Settings >> smth like Prefs >> applets sub-menus), i.e. they were listed as sub-tems in this menu.

Now they can only be accessed from Start >> Settings >> Settings panel, and switching between tabs and items of these tabs. Is it a fundamental feature of new Enlightenment or previous behavior can be achieved somehow?

Also, is there any graphical way of setting timezone? Analog of 

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

I didn't find anything in Clock applet.

#7 renato.rener

renato.rener

• Members
  • 39 posts
  • LocationSlovenija, Celje

Posted 24 November 2016 - 06:35 PM

BTW, previously I could access any system setting applet just from main menu (Start >> Settings >> smth like Prefs >> applets sub-menus), i.e. they were listed as sub-tems in this menu.

Now they can only be accessed from Start >> Settings >> Settings panel, and switching between tabs and items of these tabs. Is it a fundamental feature of new Enlightenment or previous behavior can be achieved somehow?

Also, is there any graphical way of setting timezone? Analog of 

sudo dpkg-reconfigure tzdata

I didn't find anything in Clock applet.

If I understand well, you could, for the first thing,

open the settings panel, go to the advanced tab and click on the settings panel.. (or is it configuration panel in Eng.)

There tick/untick what you'd like.

Enlightened after many years of XP

Feel's like 17E-gain! :D
Linux User # 529084

#8 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 November 2016 - 06:52 AM

There tick/untick what you'd like.

Brilliant! My gratitude to you.

#9 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 601 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 25 November 2016 - 02:15 PM

Also, is there any graphical way of setting timezone?

sudo apt-get install gnome-system-tools --no-install-recommends

But you should look it up in synaptic before installing because it also installs a couple of other useful system tools also.

you can also install network protocol time to keep your clock synced with online servers

sudo apt-get install ntp

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#10 BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen.

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:14 AM

Bodhi 4 is taken up by DistroWatch Weekly:

https://distrowatch....?issue=20161219

BALLOON a.k.a. Fu-sen. (ふうせん Fu-sen.) form Japan

菩提 = ぼだい = Bodhi

Bodhi Linux | Linux memo (Japanese) hhttp://installlinux.jimdo.com/linux-%E3%83%A1%E3%83%A2/bodhi-linux/

#11 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 19 December 2016 - 02:21 AM

Nice! Pretty reasonable write up. The writer's only gripes are things that we are doing by design.

#12 old

old

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 09:50 PM

Hey, I just booted a live version of Bodhi 4.0.0 app pack on my usb drive to my laptop.

What will be the best way to get great perfomance on it through installation?

Should I install it all only on the USB, or create a partition, and boot it there somehow?

#13 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:15 AM

You will almost always have better performance on an installed system than one running from a USB drive.

#14 old

old

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:32 AM

You will almost always have better performance on an installed system than one running from a USB drive.

Thanks Jeff, I was thinking of dual booting bodhi with windows, so I might cut a partition into one of my hard drives for my laptop.

#15 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 164 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:26 PM

Bodhi 4 is taken up by DistroWatch Weekly:

https://distrowatch....?issue=20161219

I always think that it is a bit of a letdown to say that Bodhi is only (or at least mainly advertised for) for older/legacy equipment.  I understand this is a large selling point...and it is initially what drew me to Bodhi...  

However, I'm currently running it on a box that was designed to be a 25-40 person user NAS...due to some limitations/misunderstandings of FreeNAS, I have converted this to my main workstation running Bodhi.  I will say the experience is sublime.  Between my system and having a roughly 120mbps connection and modern hardware everything I do is right now!  Installing Gimp - instant.  Installing LibreOffice - instant.  It is a really joy to run such a slimmed down Distro.  Heck, even Solitaire is fast :D  

Gaming on Bodhi also allowed me a few additional years of gaming with an "outdated" video card (GTX 570) - with Windowz, I could hardly game anymore...with Bodhi I found a roughly 15-20% increase in performance (based off FPS), which I suspect is due to much lower overhead, etc.

For a while I considered Ubuntu, but after being spoiled with Bodhi's efficiency, I knew that I couldn't deal with the bloat.

Bodhi is the distro that finally made me leave windowz for good...any thanks I can offer for this freedom is not large enough - to be rid of a confining box around my computing and opening many, many learning opportunities to understand a PC much more intimately, and truly harness what a system is capable of...truly remarkable.

Thank you everyone involved!

Bodhi - it's great for ALL systems - old and new!  

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#16 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 11:33 PM

It is funny - we bought my wife a new laptop late last year and she really didn't care what went on it so I put the latest Kubuntu release on it just so I could see what KDE is like in its latest state.

She complained for a few days about it being slow till I replaced it with Moksha. Less is more. Running on a little means we run extra fast on a lot :)

#17 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 164 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 07 January 2017 - 03:57 AM

I set up an old IBM Thinkpad for my kids running Bodhi so they can play Frozen Bubble, some NES Emulators, "break" a PC without me worrying too much physically and content wise, etc...still pleasantly surprised at how well that system runs.  Considering it was "designed" early on for XP, out of the gates EVERYTHING worked on Bodhi (USB, DVD drive, CD Burner, audio, audio outs, VGA out - even G-WiFi) and again, relatively snappy.

I've played around with Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Mint, Suse, Arch, Puppy, Slackware, Gentoo....none have grabbed me.  Arch almost did, but wow that is a learning curve!  "Hey, here is a command prompt...do what you want..." Me, "ummm.....ok?!"...  I think I ended up getting a blank window to display and a clock...that was about it for quite a while!  :)  ...someday...someday... 

I do run Debian (Raspbian) on my Pi and it seems to be a decent distro.

Overall, Bodhi keeps hitting the middle ground.

And I will say, now running Bodhi on my Xeon system.  Swoon.  It makes me feel like I'm running a Falcon Northwest! ;)

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#18 simpsonetti

simpsonetti

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hi, i don't know if it's "my" problem or from torrent:

I try to download bodhi64bit via torrent with tramsmisson and i get an error by starting this torrent:

http://linuxtracker.org:2710"unregistered torrent pass"

Is it my problem or the trackers?...

And i'm still downloading via http and this takes time...

(600Mb about over an hour? i regular download such a size in a minute...)

#19 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12333 posts

Posted 13 January 2017 - 06:09 PM

We are a small project without a ton of seeds. The torrents aren't properly registered because I couldn't find a good free torrent tracker that would accept them.

Use the direct download links for fast download speeds. This is probably the last release we have official torrents for. They are a giant headache.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users