Photo

Screen Tearing

Best Answer The waiter, 03 November 2016 - 07:14 PM

How to use compton: Ignore XFCE stuff, just copy text into compton.conf file and run compton...

http://duncanlock.ne...siting-in-xfce/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 myway_1

myway_1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHollywood, Florida, USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 04:35 PM

Hello,

I am really liking Bodhi Linux. The minimalism and desktop environment suit me. Thanks to Jeff and everyone else who is involved.

I am having a problem with screen tearing. I have an Intel Atom processor (the newer one, not the old netbook one) It has Intel HD graphics. In the past with other distros, enabling "Tear Free" via an X11 config file has solved the problem. But this time with Bodhi it has a side-effect of bad lag when watching local videos. I have done some research and believe that using a suitable window manager/compositer could help. Do you believe that Hoogland's ecomp and ecomorph are worth a try? In anticipation I have installed the packages listed in the ecomorph readme and have downloaded ecomp-master from github. I have found installation instructions in the forum from 2013 but am hesitant to use them since they are so old. Another forum post mentioned instructions in quick start but I don't see them there. How do I install ecomp and ecomorph?

If ecomp and ecomorph aren't good solutions, I noticed another forum suggestion to use compton. Would that be a good idea?

Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Joe 

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:09 PM

I haven't had time to try and update ecomorph / ecomp to compile with the latest EFL release Bodhi 4 ships with - that is why we do not have packages in the repository for them.

If you install the package compton from the repos it should provide simple compositing for you.

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 03 November 2016 - 07:14 PM   Best Answer

How to use compton: Ignore XFCE stuff, just copy text into compton.conf file and run compton...

http://duncanlock.ne...siting-in-xfce/

#4 myway_1

myway_1

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationHollywood, Florida, USA

Posted 03 November 2016 - 11:38 PM

Thanks so much. Compton configured in this way has stopped screen-tearing in video playback. I followed the excellent instructions in the Bodhi documentation to add it to startup apps.

#5 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1616 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 04 November 2016 - 05:12 AM

Great. Enjoy the beauty of Bodhi Linux... :)

#6 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4560 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 08 September 2017 - 06:59 PM

For completeness I would like to add the following:

A good method for adding commands to be executed when moksha starts is using this file

.e/e/applications/startup/startupcommands

Below an example that is active on my computer.

conky -p 1 -d | \
compton -b

Explanation for those without much experience with commands:

-p (seconds) makes conky pause before it actually starts

-d makes conky work as a daemon

| (the pipe symbol) is needed between two different commands in this file.

\ (backslash) causes the next character to be interpreted differently, in this case needed to have the ENTER key function as "New Line" 

-b makes compton work in the background

Enjoy,

Charles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users