• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ram79

ram79

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 11:46 AM

Hi everyone!

After a decent year using Bodhi, I no longer want to miss it! I have bought a new Laptop with Windows 10 and I now want to install Bodhi alongside Windows 10, but I have some issues there and I hope you might be able to help me. I am running a HP 350 G2, specs: https://www.cnet.com...0-gb-hdd/specs/ ...with 8 GB RAM and an updated Win 10 on it.

In order to install Bodhi alongside Windows I need to create a separate partition within Windows 10 on my HDD C: (fig. 1)

27345013ng.png

(fig 1)

...after doing this via resizing C: I get an unallocated space which I have to format to be able to install Bodhi on it (fig. 2)

27345014qh.png

(fig 2)

...when I try to format this, Windows tells me this (fig.3)

27345015be.png

(fig3)

the error message in english: "The selected GPT formatted disk contains a partition which is not of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID', and is both preceeded and followed by a partition of type 'PARTITION_BASIC_DATA_GUID'."

Now I don't have any idea what this means. I tried to use various partition programms, even with a bootable Gparted USB, nothing changed.

I hope you guys might be able to help me by giving me step by step guide what I must do to solve this problem. I suppose my problem lies in the configuration of HP, it might have something to do with the recovery-file in my partition table.

thank you in advance for your consideration, greetings from Germany!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4576 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:25 PM

Well, Windows is very busy protecting itself. I would say, ignore it. Leave the unallocated space as is and shutdown Windows (not hybernate, but fully shutdown).

Now boot the Bodhi 64bit CD/USB and let the installer handle the partitioning. I would advice to choose "Something Else" to manually assign the wanted partitions within the unallocated space. This is a GPT partition table, so don't worry about primary and extended partitions. If you plan to hybernate Bodhi in the future you should have a swap partition the same size as your RAM. Bodhi itself is happy with 20 GB for its systemfiles and all extra softwares you want. That system partition should be formatted as ext4 and be mounted as (the slash represents the root filesystem). The rest of the free space you can use for a storage partition, so you won't loose precious files when it is time to reinstall in a few years. But that is up to you, the automated install method (side by side) will create only sufficient swap and a big linux system partition.

The installer will use the existing Efi Special Partition (that windows hides for you) on the HDD to put the bootloader files on. Bodhi can be used even in Secure Boot mode. 

When you boot into Windows again it should no longer complain, only mark the linux partitions as "unkown", at least that is what it does on my machine. I don't think HP is involved in this notification.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,

Charles

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users