• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Rene Malmgren

Rene Malmgren

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 11:33 AM

Yes, I have read the release notes :)

But my 20 years of knowledge in Linux ( yes I started with it 1996 ) tells me that this is not the entire story. And for my system, doing a upgrade rather than a reinstall would be really really great. 

As far as I understand, the base of Bodhi is Ubnuntu, TT in case of 3.x and XX in case of 4.0. So I guess in theory, the big difference is the sources.list file in apt?

If you would simply just add the XX repos to an 3.x the path upgrade should be there?

Or is there some thing else that I am horrebly missing?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 06 November 2016 - 01:58 PM

I can't match your experience, but I do have a simple question:  does Ubuntu support an upgrade from one LTS to the next?  If so, it seems logical that something similar should work for Bodhi.  Conversely, if not then it seems unlikely Bodhi would do so.  And I'm sure Jeff or Charles can offer a much more useful response.  :-) 

#3 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 646 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 06 November 2016 - 03:44 PM

Test it out in a VPC.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 07 November 2016 - 01:42 PM

Ubuntu supports LTS to LTS upgrades.

I also read reports every year of random issues from people who do this.

We do not test Bodhi release upgrades and can't predict issues that will occur if you try it.

In theory you can follow the directions for upgrading Ubuntu LTS bases and then swap the Bodhi repos to the 4.0.0 repo and give it a try. Very likely will wind up in package manager hell though.

#5 klamath_

klamath_

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 03:17 PM

Yes, I have read the release notes :).

But my 20 years of knowledge in Linux ( yes I started with it 1996 ) tells me that this is not the entire story. And for my system, doing a upgrade rather than a reinstall would be really really great.

As far as I understand, the base of Bodhi is Ubnuntu, TT in case of 3.x and XX in case of 4.0. So I guess in theory, the big difference is the sources.list file in apt?

If you would simply just add the XX repos to an 3.x the path upgrade should be there?

Or is there some thing else that I am horrebly missing?

I did it on my laptop, before upgraded all, then, changed source.list with the 4.0 one, then upgraded.

here there is a thread about
http://forums.bodhil...-live/?p=100618

#6 Rene Malmgren

Rene Malmgren

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 01:07 PM

:Update:

Upgrading Bodhi 3x -> 4.0 with this method works well for me, with a few noticable problems that I have over looked. They will lead to problems with the packager if they are not fixed.

This is how you detect and fix it.

There are three files of concern.

/etc/lsb-release 

/etc/issue

/etc/os-release

These files are part of 

http://packages.ubun...nial/base-files

This file tell the system what release you are running. For a bodhi 3.x system it is trusy, for a 4.0 its xenial.

Make sure that these files are updated. After this has happend you should update all PPA:s that run on a dist based system. in my case I have a PPA

videolan-master-daily-trusty.list

should be updated to 

videolan-master-daily-xenial.list

#remove it

sudo add-apt-repository -r ppa:videolan/master-daily

#add it again

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:videolan/master-daily

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users