• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Abramech

Abramech

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 02:37 PM

Greetings,

A while ago I've configured some bare bone pc's with Bodhi to serve as an informational display. (permanent presentation mode) All in all this works excellent.

Sometimes however it's connection drops, and instead of re-connecting it gives a pop-up where you need to reconfirm the WPA key and reconnect, even though i've told it to automatically connect.
This is a problem as the hardware is hidden away in a ceiling and no input hardware like a keyboard is connected so getting it reconnected is a "hassle".

Is there any way to force it to just reconnect regardless of the circumstance of the disconnect?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:08 PM

there have been a number of people state the same.  I too have had issues.  random and no explanation.  originally it was a serious hassle but when i stopped going through a linksys router to directly into my airport it works much better.  However i still have some issues esp after suspend.  happened yesterday.  even a reboot doesn't help - sometimes i have to unplug and replug the airport and all is well.  many times it has been isp issues but there are also gremlins here too just not that many anymore.  I f it continues or gets worse i will try a belkin wireless router my daughter got last year to see if that will work better.  for now - i live with an occasional issue or two.

also disconnecting and reconnecting wireless on the icon on laptop doesn't do it either.  also choosing the right wireless from the dropdown also doesn't connect - that is why i redo the airport and all is well.

was told re: old linksys 4 port router that it could have been some firmware that needed upgrading but - who knows....

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:26 PM

p.s. i do not believe this is Bodhi related rather than possible the module/app related issue.

#4 Abramech

Abramech

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

We use fairly expensive enterprise/business grade access points on a cisco switched network, these should (operative word) not be the problem, we have not seen problems with these access points on any other device.

I.M.O. the problem really is not that the connection occasionally drops any way. To me wifi is always like black magic when it comes to stability, especially in places with a lot of wifi noise connection drops are just a fact of life.
I rather feel that Bohdi (or it's networking app) not picking the connection back up again is the actual problem.

I have been unable to fix this, so I've just mended the problem by doing what I should have done in the first place, which is plumbing a really long ethernet cable to the other side of the building.
It's less then elegant, but in the end it just needs to work without intervention from my end.

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 03:43 PM

i have had this issue too  originally it was a router issue.  i do have it happen now but not as much but it is frustrating.  i have to go upstairs and reset it - unplug replug - and sometimes reboot bodhi.  weird  - and i spent a ton of time with the service provider head tech guy too.

i thought it was solved but it still acts up and it does p!ss me off.

all i can offer.

#6 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 267 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:44 PM

I've had this same issue when the wifi signal is low. For some reason it needs to be manually re-connected and it drives me nuts too.

But this is definitely not a Bodhi problem, it's with the Ubuntu package NetworkManager.

Bugs can be filed with NetworkManager here:

https://bugs.launchp...network-manager

In your specific case, where you know you want to be connected to a specific wifi network constantly, I suppose you could write a small bash script that would loop checking the wifi connection periodically and then re-connect if connection was dropped. Not elegant, I know, but in your case it could work. If you need help with a script PM me, I can help get you in the ballpark. But there would be little nuances that would have to be worked out on the machine itself to make it consistent. NetworkManager has nmcli that can be used at the command line for connection manipulations.

EDIT: Removed duplicate content.

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle, or as finished as it seems in the end.

#7 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 07:34 PM

Well i have the same problem, not with wifi but 3G. 

So i guess this is a bug in the network icon itself. 

Bad Wolf

#8 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:27 PM

Greetings,

A while ago I've configured some bare bone pc's with Bodhi to serve as an informational display. (permanent presentation mode) All in all this works excellent.

Sometimes however it's connection drops, and instead of re-connecting it gives a pop-up where you need to reconfirm the WPA key and reconnect, even though i've told it to automatically connect.
This is a problem as the hardware is hidden away in a ceiling and no input hardware like a keyboard is connected so getting it reconnected is a "hassle".

Is there any way to force it to just reconnect regardless of the circumstance of the disconnect?

Given your specific application, you may like to take a look at distros designed for that specific purpose. 

I'm not here to promote them, nor say they're as good or better - in fact, I haven't gotten this one figured out yet, BUT

as an example, Porteus does have a Kiosk version, designed specifically for your task.  

While keeping Bodhi on your other computers, using a kiosk-specific version may reduce maintenance and support headaches for everyone on both ends, and allowing a better allocation of the people-resources, leaving each to better concentrate on what each does best. 

Everyone benefits. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: reconnect wifi, wifi, reconnect

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users