• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Scooby-2

Scooby-2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 20 November 2016 - 09:23 AM

I have an old Vye S18 which has an AMD Geode CPU and a Geode LX video controller. I am really pleased that the system runs really well from the CD in a live session, indeed it is the only Linux version that I have found will run. I am using the legacy version of Bodhi 4.0.0. The only problem I have is that when installed the only graphics mode available is 640x480 whereas running from the live version I can also choose 800x600 or 1024x768. In 640x480 the scroll bars are off-screen, rendering the machine virtually unusable. I have spent a couple of days trying to figure out why this is, the file /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d is identical in both environments. The majority of the log files under a live session are empty, but some, like the Xorg.0.log files contain multiple error entries in both cases. I don't know enough to figure out which is causing the problem. I tried stopping X (using /etc/init.d/lightdm stop) and running X -configure as root but it fails spectacularly with a server error and segmentation fault. It tells me to view the Xorg.0.log, which I can post if it helps, but it's massive.

Unfortunately I cannot insert links to the screenshots, I get a message saying "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community."

Does anyone know how I can make the installed version offer me 800x600? This is the only resolution I want, as 1024x768 is too small and 640x480 truncates the display.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Scooby-2

Scooby-2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:28 AM

Addition - I'm running Bodhi 4.0.0 legacy

#3 Scooby-2

Scooby-2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:39 AM

I also forgot to add that I also tried to add the 800x600 mode using cvt and randr from the instructions elsewhere on this site, but xrandr fails saying no such output exists (it is the default output).

#4 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 339 posts
  • LocationZacatecas, Mexico

Posted 20 November 2016 - 05:57 PM

This is a good question. we still hadn't tested this issue in Bodhi 4.0, but we had found a good number of computers in which the Bodhi graphical interface works just fine on the Live CD, but once installed on the hard disk, it ony gives either a low graphical resolution or, even worse, no graphical interface at all.

Is that normal? shouldn't the Live CD/USB and a installed system have the same graphical properties?

Aside from that, the Geode seems to be a hard piece to crack. I don't know if some pieces of info from this guy could be useful for you:

https://fhackts.word...eode-lx800-cpu/

#5 Scooby-2

Scooby-2

• Members
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 20 November 2016 - 06:40 PM

Thanks Astroboy. The link you provided has some interesting pointers though because I want this machine to be Internet facing it's important to me for it to be running a supported version. I tried Damn Small Linux but it wouldn't boot. Saying that, I have discovered that Bodhi will only boot from one of the USB ports, so I may try DSL again. This machine has no CD or DVD drive so I have to use an external drive which has two plugs, to provide it with sufficient power for the motors. It's easy not to notice which socket has the data connection! I will also try Voyage Linux, it sounds interesting. I like that it's very stripped down and has the benefit of all the Debian repos.

Maybe this machine will live to fit another day....

#6 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 21 November 2016 - 07:21 AM

I don't recall the cli voodoo magic incantation, but, there is a command that will tell you what resolutions available. It may even be something like different drivers being used from the live CD to the installed version.

#7 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 21 November 2016 - 09:21 AM

I have found lightdm to be very finicky in the past. It has given me everything from black screens to freeze ups. Don't know for sure this applies here, but you could try installing slim display manager from the console  tty1 , with

sudo apt-get install slim

and see if that makes any difference. Just make sure to choose slim during install, as the default display manager.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users