• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 robot774

robot774

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOlso

Posted 03 December 2016 - 02:58 PM

Took me about 192 hours to log in to these forums today, having not logged in for a while I had to remember my user and pass. Tried doing a reset from the "i forgot my assword" link, but it seems like it still does not work.  

Can't re-register with a previously used name, fair enough, but can't register a new user with a previously used email address either.   

Can the psssword reset get fixed? (Don't tell me it just doesn't work for me and I'm a mongo...)

Thanks for listening.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12328 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 04 December 2016 - 10:45 PM

Drop an email to support at bodhilinux dot com from the email associated with the account you are trying to recover and we will help you out.

Most major mail providers have our email server black listed from an issue we had years ago. Basically impossible to get fixed it seems.

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:14 PM

guess my humor wasn't appreciated.

#4 robot774

robot774

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOlso

Posted 06 December 2016 - 08:54 PM

@graywizard, I don't know what you said.

@Jeff, I managed to remember my password to the forums eventually. I'll send that email though because I can't remember the password I have for the wiki pages. 

#5 robot774

robot774

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOlso

Posted 09 December 2016 - 06:39 PM

Did a quick check at http://mxtoolbox.com/to see if the smtp server is blacklisted in the hope I could help fix the issue. Results from simply typing blacklist: theIPaddy, assuming the smtp server is on the same server as the bodhilinux.com site.

edit: also here's a similar result that includes a couple of warnings: http://www.dnsstuff....=bodhilinux.com  

This caught my eye:  

SMTP greeting Malformed greeting or no A records found matching banner text for following servers, and banner is not an address literal.RFC5321 requires one or the other (should not be a CNAME). If this is not set correctly, some mail platforms will reject or delay mail from you, and can cause hard to diagnose issues with deliverability. Mailserver details:

68.178.213.243 | WARNING: The hostname in the SMTP greeting does not match the reverse DNS (PTR) record for your mail server. This probably won't cause any harm, but may be a technical violation ofRFC5321
68.178.213.37 | WARNING: The hostname in the SMTP greeting does not match the reverse DNS (PTR) record for your mail server. This probably won't cause any harm, but may be a technical violation ofRFC5321

and also this result titled "Checks that the mail server accepts mail to postmaster@ipaddress" which is a bit of a red flag if true, because it may mean that the mail server is not accepting mail , not that gmail, yahoomail, outlook etc are blocking mail from this doman, this is not the same as "postmaster@domain" which is working as expected.

INFO

Acceptance of address literals Mailserver rejected mail to address literals. Mailservers are technically required by RFC1123 section 5.2.17 to accept mail to domain literals (i.e. IP addresses instead of domains). This ensures backwards compatibility and can help with delivery in certain non-optimal situations, like a DNS server being down/unresponsive.

68.178.213.243 | unexpected response to [RCPT TO: ] | 550 5.1.1 Recipient not found. 
68.178.213.37 | unexpected response to [RCPT TO: ] | 550 5.1.1 Recipient not found. @[68.178.213.37]>@[68.178.213.37]>@[68.178.213.243]>@[68.178.213.243]>

result from mxtoolbox:

Checking 69.64.93.86 against 97 known blacklists... 
Listed 0 times with 0 timeouts 

Extra edit, went back to mx tools and did an smtp lookup on bodhilinux.com and got this result, which makes it look more like an smtp configuration problem, but although I have done limited dev-ops at work, I know jack poo about smtp. 

smtp:bodhilinux.com   Monitor This  

smtp

Unable to connect after 15 seconds.   Test Result   problem.png SMTP Connect Failed To Connect info.png More Info Session Transcript:
Connecting to 69.64.93.86
12/9/2016 1:17:09 PM Connection attempt #1 - Unable to connect after 15 seconds. [15.02 sec]

PWS3v2 15095ms

Edit 3: so then I made a free acount at MXtools to get more information and I got this page here (probably just the first paragraph is relevant):  

More Information About Smtp Connect

We attempted a connection to your mail server on port 25 but your server did not respond. More than likely there is no email server at this address or you have a misconfigured firewall or spam filtering system.

If the SMTP Connect test is unable to connect to your mail server after 15 seconds we will report it as an error. For optimal email deliverability it is advisable that SMTP connections should not take longer than 15 seconds.

Firewall Information

Here are the networks MxToolbox uses for SMTP Tests. Please add these to your firewall to avoid experiencing connection failures or false alerts.

• 64.20.227.128/28 (Netmask: 255.255.255.240)
  • 208.123.79.32/27 (Netmask: 255.255.255.224)
  • 54.84.234.24, 54.164.124.219, & 54.88.4.135

Additional Information Tarpitting

It is also possible your server is “Tar pitting.” Tar pitting is a technique used by some email servers to slow down spammers. The idea is that legitimate senders will wait longer to establish a connection than spammers will.

Here is a link to a link to the TechNet article with more information about Tarpitting

Back Pressure

Our SMTP test cannot detect problems caused by Back Pressure, a system resource monitoring feature of the Microsoft Exchange Transport service. In order to be alerted for back pressure events you would need to add our end-to-end Mailflow Monitor for your server which can detect any type of email interruption and also provide historical performance data.

Here's a link to the TechNet article with more information about back pressure.

#6 Tristam

Tristam

Distro Whipping Boy

• Administrators
  • 254 posts
  • LocationCentral Virginia

Posted 10 December 2016 - 03:38 AM

Forum mail comes from a different ipaddress than the bodhilinux.com webserver.  Also, the mail transfer agent on both boxes only sends mail from internal services, so there would be no response to mxtoolbox's probing of either server.  The current problem looks like most email providers are not allowing the forum server to connect.  Most likely a result of the forum box sending mail directly instead of using a known email server.

Tristam

Some days you're the pigeon, some days the statue

#7 robot774

robot774

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOlso

Posted 10 December 2016 - 11:40 AM

So how can I help fix it, assuming you know what the problem is caused by and have not fixed it in the 2+ years I've been trying to reset passwords?    :unsure:  In fact, it's only now that I do some digging as a Bodhi user that any useful details emerge.  

It's kind of important imo, for many people the easiest way to contribute to a distro is to post on the forums, for many of those people it will only be now and again when help is needed or a problem surfaces, so passwords will be forgotten and need to be reset.   

OK, so we have bodhilinux.com and forums.bodhilinux.com on different IP addresses, forums.bodhilinux.com (69.64.93.77) and www.bodhilinux.com (69.64.93.86).  

And the forum is sending mail but not through a "known email server" which doesn't seem to me like it would stop mail being delivered, but also sounds like we know what the problem is, so let's fix it!

#8 Tristam

Tristam

Distro Whipping Boy

• Administrators
  • 254 posts

Posted 10 December 2016 - 02:13 PM

The destination email servers are not accepting email from the forum server MTA.  This is most likely because any idiot spammer can install an MTA on a machine and send out all the email they like.  Hooking the forums up to a known email server is the solution, but the risk there is, if the forums are compromised again, that email server gets blacklisted, affecting everyone that uses that server.  So the risk needs to be assessed and if deemed acceptable, we need to hook the forums up to an email server.

#9 robot774

robot774

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOlso

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:59 AM

but the risk there is, if the forums are compromised again, that email server gets blacklisted

So exactly where we are today. I honestly don't beleive risk assessment is a required part of fixing the mail server. How do all the other thousands of forums operate? 

#10 Tristam

Tristam

Distro Whipping Boy

• Administrators
  • 254 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 05:37 PM

Offer up an smtp server then if you're so unworried.  :P  As for other forums, I have no idea since I only run this one.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: forum, password, reset

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users