Photo

[Solved] Moksha Segfault

Best Answer Jeff, 27 January 2017 - 06:39 PM

Out of curiosity - does disabling the window geometry text in Window Display settings make the crashes stop for you?

oNKMVxs.png

I can't produce a lock on my system since disabling these. Going to look into fixing it, but for now this seems like a good work around.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationZacatecas, Mexico

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:37 PM

All those check boxes do is display the current sizing / position of the window on the screen as it moves around / resizes.

Umh, I had never seen any display of size and position when moving or resizing a window :blink:

Edit: wait, now I notice that in the default Moksha profile is displayed the size and position. In the Escuelas Linux profile does not, even with those settings on.

Should I mark this thread as solved?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#62 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12347 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:53 AM

Feel free to mark that work around as a solution for now. I'll open a bug report on github now that we know the source of the issue.

#63 Indraraja Purbosatryo

Indraraja Purbosatryo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationJogjakarta, Central Java, Indonesia

Posted 03 February 2017 - 04:38 AM

Hmm, I have disabling the window geometry text in Window Display settings and it seems the segfault was gone (with default theme).

I noticed some sequence that trigger the segfault (the sudden Moksha restart). Note that this happens only in Detorious theme. This sequence seems doesn't trigger the segfault in default theme.

So here's the sequence.

[The Sequence, triggered only in Detorious theme]

(Right after booting my machine)

Do

Settings > Settings Panel > Windows > Clicking random items there > sudden Moksha restart

(sometimes I succesfully enter, lets says, Window Display and changing something there, but usually the segfault suddenly occurs just right after that. When it happen, my changes didn't saved at all)

Note that I'm using Lenovo idepad 110 with Bodhi 4.0.0 64 bit, standard edition, kernel 4.9.5-040905 generic, updated MESA to 17.1, and doing regular apt-get update.

Lenovo IdeaPad 110 {Bodhi 4.0.0 64bit - Kernel 4.9.5 generic - AMD APU A9-9410 "Stoney Ridge" - 4GB RAM - Radeon R5 "Volcanic Island"  - 1TB HDD}

#64 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12347 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:11 AM

Thanks for confirming it is happening under that theme. I'm leaving it on the app center for now - but going to feature radiance instead. 

Hopefully we can track down the specific cause now that we have a better idea what is causing this.

#65 Astroboy

Astroboy

• Members
  • 330 posts
  • LocationZacatecas, Mexico

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:28 PM

I can confirm that I can sometimes trigger the Moksha segfault by doing the sequence suggested by Indraraja Purbosatryo. Sometimes I can't reproduce it in the Detorious theme, but it seems easy to trigger it in that particular theme. I was able to trigger it only once using another theme (BlueElectric) and none in others, at least in some 20 minutes playing around. After the Moksha restart already happened in Detourious, it did not happened again even after following the same sequence suggested. For me, I needed to restart the computer to be able to start the segfault again.

And, testing in 32 and 64 bits Vmware Fusion guest, the Moksha restart still appeared sporadically out of nowhere, with no apparent cause.

#66 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12347 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 07:37 PM

I think it is related to popups currently - there was a similar crash with the pager gadget that I simply worked around by toggling that setting off. Wouldn't be surprised if it is related to these dumps as well. 

#67 Indraraja Purbosatryo

Indraraja Purbosatryo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationJogjakarta, Central Java, Indonesia

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:12 AM

After the Moksha restart already happened in Detourious, it did not happened again even after following the same sequence suggested. For me, I needed to restart the computer to be able to start the segfault again.

Yeah, thats happen to me too.
Also, in my Default theme firing alt+tab rigorously (cycling beetween apps fast enough) when I have 2 minimized apps trigger the segfault.

Then I changed my theme to Radiance, firing alt+tab. Nothing happens.

Then changed back to Default theme. Firing alt+tab. Nothing happens.

Lenovo IdeaPad 110 {Bodhi 4.0.0 64bit - Kernel 4.9.5 generic - AMD APU A9-9410 "Stoney Ridge" - 4GB RAM - Radeon R5 "Volcanic Island"  - 1TB HDD}

#68 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1475 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 04 February 2017 - 10:17 AM

Hmm, very interesting info. Every theme is compiled into edj format. I wonder if is possible to debug theme. I will ask e devs...

EDIT: google is a good friend. I have found sth really worth trying...

http://brunodilly.or...dc-edje-player/

#69 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 165 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 09 February 2017 - 04:26 AM

Out of curiosity - does disabling the window geometry text in Window Display settings make the crashes stop for you?

I tried this tonight based on the information in this post and a previous one you responded to - so good so far!

Hopefully I'll do some heavy lifting this weekend and test my system to see if this is what was taking place.

As always, thank you for the assistance, Jeff!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#70 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12347 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 01:40 AM

The Moksha package in the repo as of today will now no longer display window geometry on screen regardless of settings until we can pin down the cause of this crash.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users