• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 robot774

robot774

• Members
  • 24 posts
  • LocationOlso

Posted 15 December 2016 - 11:02 PM

In the past I have never managed to get Linux and Bodhi to play continuous audio through a bluetooth speaker/headset. The device pairs, but streaming audio fails.  

Here is how I did it this time in Bodhi 4.0.  

Short answer: https://wiki.debian....toothUser/a2dp 

Long answer in case that linked page disappears:

Step 1: Run the command at the end of this paragraph. Here's what it does:  

You already have pulseaudio installed (linked instructions above), so I'm omitting that. 

Package "pulseaudio-module-bluetooth" should be self-explanatory, package "pavucontrol" is a pulse audio settings GUI program (not sure I actually needed this, it appears to be an alternative to "Efi Volume Control" already installed), and bluez  is described as "Bluetooth tools and daemons, this package contains tools and system daemons for using Bluetooth devices."

The link to Debian above has you install "bluez-firmware" This package did not exist in my repo, so I elected to take the whole bluez shebang. Bluez is "the official Linux Bluetooth protocol stack."

apt install pulseaudio-module-bluetooth pavucontrol bluez

Step 2: Then restart the bluetooth service (it will ask for your password):

service bluetooth restart

Step 3: Now you can install "blueman", the graphical pairing tool. You can do this from the bodhi linux website at http://www.bodhilinu...com/a/blueman/ 

or 

sudo apt install blueman 

Step 4: You will probably need to reboot the PC to get this setup to work, I tried pairing a JBL mini speaker, it paired but it would not stream. So you can try the next part before rebooting, but you will probably need to reboot. 

To open the blueman pairing interface, use alt+esc or windows-key+spacebar to open the everything launcher, then type "blue" to see all the bluetooth stuff, one entry is "bluetooth assistant", choose that.  Then follow the 6 steps.

Device pairing varies by device, my speaker does not need a PIN code, it just pairs.   

Step 5: I was playing audio through Firefox, and the speaker that had correctly paired was not playing, audio was still through the PC speakers. So right click the speaker icon on your shelf, choosing "pulse mixer -> advanced" and this will open teh Efi Volume Control. You can then choose the Bluetooth device to send to from the program playing audio (NB! if nothing is playing, no audio channels are listed in the Efi program).  

Finsihed.

If anyone else has a different method that worked for them I'd like to hear it because this is the first time I managed to get streaming BT audio to work. Also any corrections/differences? Post them here, please.  

If anyone who remembers their password to the wiki wants to post this there...?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1475 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 16 December 2016 - 09:55 AM

I have no device you described, but maybe I will borrow for some testing. Anyway, I would try to play with pavucontrol setup gui which is more featured than pulsemixer module. Try to focus on output section and playback one...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bluetooth, pulse, audio, streaming

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users