Photo

How can I map the <search> key (i.e., <caps lock>) on my Chromebook?

keyboard keybinding Chromebooks

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Reuben

Reuben

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL (USA)

Posted 19 December 2016 - 07:15 PM

Currently, I can't map anything to the <search> key (i.e., Google's replacement for the <cap lock> key) on my ACER C740-C4PE running Bodhi 4.0.0.

That is, Settings > Input > Key Bindings > Add/Modify does not seem to detect the key at all. I know from testing that Ubuntu 14.04 (since the behavior was the same in Bodhi 3.*) and 16.04 both detect this key as <Super> by default and use it to open the "Launch" menu.

I'd like to be able to assign it to the Moksha "Quick Launcher" (formerly "Run Everything"). I can also see how it could make for a nice compose key.

I have no idea how to implement this functionality, let alone how to do so in Bodhi/Moksha. My guess is that because it's not a "proper" <caps lock> key that it's not even detected by the system, but the kernel, Canonical, or both have a found a way to account for it.

Any thoughts?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 20 December 2016 - 03:55 AM

E (and thus Moksha) does not allow you to bind actions to a single modifier key like Alt / Super keys. At some point I want to change this, but I don't have an ETA on when that will be implemented.

#3 Reuben

Reuben

• Members
  • 37 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL (USA)

Posted 22 December 2016 - 04:35 PM

@Jeff, I eagerly await that ETA.

#4 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:20 PM

I know this is NOT a recent topic, but I know it can be done without waiting, to anyone who is willing to tinker with xmodmap and read up on leads like this. The team has their priorities but with so much knowledge already out there, scattered for our search engines, why not work on something doable, when you have the time?

If I recall correctly it was a combination of xmodmap and xev that allowed me to use so-called "dead keys" for rotating the cube, toggling window shade and stacking e.g. lower or bring to top. Your CapsLock is one of them but after going through this exercise you will see this "new" key appear on the list of bindable keys.

If you wish to pursue this, perhaps starting a new thread on it might not be a bad idea.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: keyboard, keybinding, Chromebooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users