Doesn't boot, but boots second time

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newhere

newhere

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 December 2016 - 04:43 PM

I've installed to a pendrive, each time I boot 3.1.1, when it gets to the bootloader, my screen blanks. Then I press the reset switch, the computer resets, and then....this time it shows the boot menu! I find this absolutely Amazing! What must I do to fix it?

(is it writing something to the pendrive which makes it boot second time around???!!! LOL!! :) )

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 649 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:12 PM

Depends on how you installed to pendrive. Bodhi is not designed to be run from a pendrive. Try Puppy Linux for that. If you want enlightenment desktop try macpup.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12517 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 25 December 2016 - 07:58 PM

Depends on how you installed to pendrive. Bodhi is not designed to be run from a pendrive. Try Puppy Linux for that. If you want enlightenment desktop try macpup.

This is a kind of unfair assessment. Bodhi, like essentially every Linux desktops today, doesn't really care what media type you install it to so long as it is a writable media.

#4 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 668 posts

Posted 26 December 2016 - 01:30 AM

Bodhi (and any linux OS) can be installed to any drive, including external drives.

What likely happens in your case, is that the bios has not detected the usb yet when you select the bodhi menuentry to boot.

Try this out.

When grub menu appears,  go to prompt (press 'c'), then type in "ls", see if the external pendrive is listed. If it is not listed, at that point, it will not boot any OS in pendrive.

Type again "ls", when pendrive gets listed, then OS's in pendrive will boot.

It's just that some bios take some time to detect drives, usually external usb drives.

Another way is to wait longer for bios before booting up.

Firmware updates for bios can help. Sometimes changing to other usb ports can help (or just cleaning the contacts). Or (hopefully not in your case) a better usb drive (try fsck'ing the usb partitions first).

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users