alarm clock analog i/o digital i/o media player

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 R@VC

R@VC

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 12:03 AM

I want to write an application that allows an alarm clock to be used as a trigger for a media player (e.g., VLC player).  I know Bodhi does not presently feature an alarm clock yet, apt-get should resolve this.  I would want to initialize a play list to begin playing automatically and possibly stop playing after a given period of time.

At this stage if the work, I am concerned of the following primary issues:

1 - Is this application right for Bodhi?  If yes, I'm in.  If not, this is fine, I'll work with one of my more capable laptops and a direct Ubuntu LTS release.  I guess my concern here is am I going beyond the minimalist perspective Bodhi embraces.  If yes, then I should find another way to implement this project.

2 - While my netbook is small (Eee PC 1000H) Bodhi has helped improve its performance.  I will get the 2 GB module in the coming months and I may purchase the low-latency module I found for ~$45 yet, I doubt this will make a significant improvement.  I know a good solid state drive will help it further because, my son's is configured with a Samsung 840 Pro and performs much faster than my convential drive.  However, I am getting concerned that I am installing too much from the App Center!

3 - My programming background is in C, C++, FORTRAN and VB with a small amount of Python so give me some input regarding how I might proceed.  If I need to learn another language to accomplisht this, I'll do it.  I am certain I will need to perform some of this project in VLC so, I need to begin discussions on that forum as well.

Thanks!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 03 January 2017 - 03:56 AM

Maybe I am not understanding what exactly the question is. There are lots of ways to trigger a task at a specific system time. Ranging for a cron job, to a custom application. Bodhi is capable of doing all of them just like any modern operating system should be able to.

#3 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1657 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 03 January 2017 - 05:26 AM

I appreciate your interest. I believe you can help us with some stuff. Person with c or c++ knowledge is fine to be around. Anyway as has been told, this was already invented. We even have alarm module among extra modules. It was present in previous bodhi version in repo. For bl 4 just need to make a deb package. It is nice animated module/gadget which will do job you need.

https://github.com/t...ee/master/alarm

#4 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1657 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:57 PM

Alarm module screenshot

GxCVBcC.png

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 04 January 2017 - 03:56 PM

I've added the moksha-alarm package to the repositories.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: alarm clock, analog i/o, digital i/o, media player

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users