• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 02:24 AM

Hi fellow Bodhi users,

having an issue with Midori and Chromium. Both browsers crash(application execution error)as soon as I try to access a external website. Midori works fine with the Bodhi Quick Start Guide but that is a local doc. Also Steam crashes too and that is a internet app(not sure what it is??) This was a fresh install of the 32 bit App Pack Version of Bodhi on a desktop system with an AMD Sempron processor with 512 Megs of ram. Here are the error logs.

Error Signal Information:
    midori was interrupted by the signal number 4.
Output Data:
    There was no output
Error Logs:

There was no error message

chromium-browser was interrupted by the signal number 4.
Output Data:
    There was no output
Error Logs:

Error Information:
    An exit code of 1 was returned from /usr/games/steam .
Output Data:
    There was no output
Error Logs:

Any ideas to what is going on? Thanks!
PS Firefox worked on my previous Bodhi intallation(Standard 32 bit Bodhi edition).

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 old

old

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 05:16 AM

I'm quite new to Bodhi as well. I am using a legacy version of Bodhi 3.2.0-4-486 on this old computer from 2003.

I tried those two browsers first, because they seemed lighter, then I tried firefox and haven't really crashed since.

As for steam, I don't really know a way to get it because I get that too, but I'd assume thats from old hardware.

Linux seems more optimized for 64-bit OS', but I wouldn't recommend it if your sempron is 32 bit.

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 04 January 2017 - 07:13 AM

Can you launch these applications from terminology and post the output?

#4 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 January 2017 - 08:59 PM

Thanks for the info old. Hi Jeff, here is the output from terminology for all 3. Thanks!

norm@norm-T3395:~$ midori

** (midori4:3765): WARNING **: apps.vala:446: Failed to parse launcher (/home/norm/.local/share/midori/apps/d1ff3bf43083575597f40d2369eecaea): No file "desc" found
Illegal instruction

norm@norm-T3395:~$ chromium-browser
Illegal instruction

norm@norm-T3395:~$ steam
Illegal instruction
norm@norm-T3395:~$

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 02:16 AM

Sounds like this applications are compiled in a way / with instructions that your hardware does not support.

#6 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:24 PM

Hmmm, thanks Jeff. I guess I will install Firefox then. I had some luck with that on the Standard 32 bit edition on the same machine. I messed it up and decided to start over with the 32 bit app pack edition since it had most of the apps I had added before. Had some slow scrolling issues with Firefox. Here is a link to my other post.

http://forums.bodhil...arbottom-shelf/

The waiter was working with me on the scrolling issue.

Would you suggest that I try the Legacy Version of Bodhi? The Desktop is a 2005 model so thought I would be OK with the 32 bit app pack edition.

Thanks much!

#7 nomko

nomko

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • LocationThe Hague, The Netherlands

Posted 06 January 2017 - 06:19 AM

Sounds like this applications are compiled in a way / with instructions that your hardware does not support.

Both Midori and Chromium? Hard to believe since Midori is the default webbrowser under Bodhi and since this is not reported by anyone else. If this is the case, why still using Midori as the default browser then???

And how can a package be compiled the wrong way not supporting your hardware?

MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160*Sitecom X5-N600 Router (WLR-5100)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 08:19 AM

Both Midori and Chromium? Hard to believe since Midori is the default webbrowser under Bodhi and since this is not reported by anyone else. If this is the case, why still using Midori as the default browser then???

And how can a package be compiled the wrong way not supporting your hardware?

This thread has more details on this: http://askubuntu.com...-on-a-pentium-4

Most of our packages come from up stream. They likely don't support hardware as old as we do. There is a reason they dropped PAE support.

Sadly recompiling everything for decades old architecture is outside the scope of our small team.

#9 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the info, do we have the option below to try the Proprietary Processor Firmware Driver in Bodhi?? On the forum on another machine since I don't have a working browser yet. Also never got a answer about trying the Legacy Version. Thanks!!

There's one thing I think is worth trying. Open "Additional Drivers" and try to enable (or disable) the processor microcode firmware:

vNNIm.png

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:46 AM

The only difference between the Legacy and stock versions is the kernel it comes with by default.

#11 dutti

dutti

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 05:31 PM

Hi,

I've put Bodhi yesterday evening on a hold PC, and all was working well, except Midori, with the same message as Norm 321 :

Output Data:
    There was no output
Error Logs:

I remove Midori, and install Firefox, and exactly the same message : Firefox was interrupted...

I install again Midori, and once again same error message...

As I'm not expert with Linux, do you have any other idea, than previous ones, to solve this problem ? Do I've to change my Bodhi version ?

Thanks for your reply

Dutti

#12 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 08:17 PM

Thanks Jeff!

Hi dutti,

Thanks for the additional info. I will install Firefox on my old eMachine desktop in the near future and let you know if it works or not. It had worked in the past on my previous installation so I would suspect it will again but you never know. Will probably be a couple of days, work-work-work for the weekend. Will post back when I try it with results. :unsure:

PS dutti, you could try Chromium too but you may have the same issue??

#13 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 08 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

For those asking might be worth trying the 3.2.1 Bodhi release. That sees security updates until 2019 - the packages from those Ubuntu repos might be compiled to support for very old hardware.

You might also a terminal based browser like Lynx.

Honestly though if the computer is so old it isn't compatible with how these browser are compiled, it likely won't have enough resources to browse most of the modern internet. Sites today tend to be fairly ram hungry.

#14 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 03:42 AM

Well I installed Firefox and it is working great. Seems that the scrolling issue is gone too as seen in my previous post. Not sure what changed but I suspect a update of some sort must have fixed the scrolling lag. Not sure why dutti, hopefully you can get a browser to work for you. Good luck!!

#15 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 06:37 PM

Did a bit of testing to see if I could get Midori to work. I discovered that if I went into the Midori Menu then Preferences and opened the Network Tab and set the Identify As setting to Midori or a couple of the Custom ones it would load the Google start page. Two tabs come up when starting Midori the Bodhi

Quick Start Guide page and Google. But then if you search for something in Google Midori crashes immediately. Tried to change some of the other network settings with no luck.

Not sure if this is any help but thought I would share the information.

#16 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:13 PM

To make this clear: You cpu does not have an encription function. 

That means midori or any other web browser will work as long the connection is unencrypted clear text. The reason that chromium does nothing at all is likely that it starts sending data as soon it is opened. 

Either use a browser that does this in software mode instead calling the cpu for that or emulate this functionsomehow. 
For the later, try out to start bodhi in bodhi (hrhrhhr inception), using qemu. IF that works it could be possible to start the browser alone over quemu. But really that makes this cpu  again a great chunk slower, so it is a bad idea.

Bad Wolf

#17 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:49 PM

Just discovered that Midori crashed in one of the links in the Appcenter. I was looking at the Themes and when I clicked on the 1st here link as shown below Midori crashes. The 2nd here link is ok. Haven't had any trouble with Midori for the Appcenter. Apparently there is something in the link that makes Midori crash.

"For details on applying this theme after installation you will need to follow the steps here and here."

Here is the error information.

Output Data:
    There was no output
Error Logs:

#18 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 11:20 PM

Odd. Both those links load right up on 4.1.0 system fully updated here in Midori.

#19 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 05:45 AM

Hmmmm, could it be that I am still using the old kernel?? I'm still using 4.0.0 because all is working well and didn't see the need to upgrade. Remember I still consider myself a Newbie. Should I upgrade the kernel to 4.1.0?? Please give me your input and thoughts.

Thanks much!!

#20 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12437 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 09:28 PM

Kernel should have zero effect on such things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users