Web Browsers Crashing

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 zom

zom

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 10:10 PM

SONY VAIO laptop, circa 2000 PCG-FXA36 (Was working with Windows XP)
512 RAM
AMD Athlon 4 @1.00 GHz
ATI Rage Mobility-M1 AGP with 8 MB SDRAM
Upgraded Seagate 120 GB Hard drive @5500rpm
USB wired optical mouse/occasionally also use touchpad
BIOS- PhoenixBIOS version R0107K5, CD-ROM set as secondary master drive, Seagate as primary master
External Belkin Wireless G Notebook Card Model F5D7010 v. 7032 in pcmcia slot
Newly installed Bohdi 4.2.0 Legacy as only OS on system.

I'm trying to revive this old computer to give a needy young man in my neighborhood who wants to take some online classes to improve himself. I chose Bohdi Legacy because it appeared it would use the least resources and work on this machine.

Install went ok till last second. Final restart to complete installation froze and I had to force shut down with power key. Opened Bohdi and everything seem to work ok. I explored all the menu items and made a few changes to the desktop and all was well. Except Midori would not open, Message was "Midori was interupted by the signal number 4. Also, Bohdi Appcenter would not open with the same message. Ethernet connected, speed listed in Bohdi as 100 Mb/s.

What do you suggest? I don't seem to find another way to update drivers or try other browsers with this basic version. BTW, I am very weak with terminal. I can follow explicit step by step instructions. 

Thanks
ZOM

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#22 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:03 PM

ZOM,

give Firefox a try. Install it through the Bodhi App Center that is in the menu. Firefox was the only browser I could get to work on my old system.

Good luck!

#23 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:43 PM

As it seems you have an web capable system, you should do some research on how aptitude works(youtube videos etc). I believe it is installed by default. It is a terminal based package manager similar to synaptic. From there you should be able to install any available software packages like firefox. I would suggest before installing anything you try

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade && sudo apt-get autoclean && sudo apt-get autoremove

The above will update the package lists from the available repositories, offer to install any upgrades, delete any out dated packages, and finally delete any packages that are no longer needed.

#24 zom

zom

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:09 AM

Hi guys, Thanks for the above. Did four commands above at least 4 times with decreasing  activity each time. Downloaded aptitude from terminology and also synaptic. Installed firefox. No browser yet working. Same signal # 4 message. Also added hardinfo system information app, and lynx terminal style browser. Lynx does stay open. It feels very awkward and difficult to use, thus I have done no more than navigate around some of its pages,  but since I have no working browser I am checking it out till this issue is resolved.

If this were windows, I would try updating and/or reinstalling hardware drivers. At this point, even after some research, I see no straight forward way to do that. What do you guys think should be my next step.

#25 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 266 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 19 June 2017 - 11:27 AM

Install went ok till last second. Final restart to complete installation froze and I had to force shut down with power key. Opened Bohdi and everything seem to work ok. I explored all the menu items and made a few changes to the desktop and all was well. Except Midori would not open, Message was "Midori was interupted by the signal number 4. Also, Bohdi Appcenter would not open with the same message. Ethernet connected, speed listed in Bohdi as 100 Mb/s.

This is a little concerning from the get-go. Would you be willing to try another install and see if things go more smoothly? It seems to me that when things 'shut down' or 'freeze' at the last minute it's not a good thing.

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle, or as finished as it seems in the end.

#26 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 283 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 19 June 2017 - 12:35 PM

I would second sef's above comment. There is another user that restarted during a hung install and he too is having issues with his install as is.

If you do reinstall and your originally installed updates and hardware drivers during the install, try just installing and then after reboot installing the drivers/updates.

#27 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4420 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:15 PM

There might be an explanation for the issues that raise with updating during install.

The installer builds a new sources.list early in the process after having copied the system. This contains only the ubuntu repos using your local mirror, not the bodhi repository. When it starts the updating it uses the sources.list from the HDD, not from the LiveCD. So things don't sync as they should. Only after the first boot, before doing anything else, the bodhi repository is added to the sources.list. Dist-upgrading afterwards will prevent this issue.

I think the restricted packages like Fluendo can be safely added during installation though.

Maybe we can disable the update option in the GUI, not sure this would be a wise workaround as that has to be maintained for new versions of the installer. I was very happy to have ubiquity in its original state again in Bodhi 4 after years of hacking.

Enjoy,

Charles.

PS. When people think it takes too long before the restart begins after the installation, try hitting the Enter key once. There is no visual warning during logout about that, but it signals the new system that the install medium is taken out and it can boot to the HDD.

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#28 norm321

norm321

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 08:57 PM

A recent system update cured my Web Browser issue. Firefox had quit working. (see the other Web Browsers post in New User Support).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users