• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 14 January 2017 - 06:38 PM

meant to post this a few weeks ago.  just way too busy.  as of 12/24/16 it has ben 1 year (now plus) using only linux with no mac to fall back on and more specifically Bodhi.  It has been a sweet experience; just wish i did not have such a bad crazy year so as to learn more about a couple of apps and to try to figure another 1 or 2 that i needed for various uses.

Intentions were good but time was limited for experimentation and growth.

anyway - that is the name of that tune.

:-))))

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 184 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:14 PM

Way to go!  I continue to just tinker, partly because moving my spouse to Linux feels like a non-starter, partly because I used Windows at work anyway, and partly because my music studio PC is Windows and swapping that over to Linux looks like it would be a bigger deal than I want to get involved in.

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thanks but years ago when i was 'into' the music thing and had my own studio i just had to run macs with Digital performer and all of the synths etc.   windows would not cut it and had way too many sound issues and glitches.

linux is possible but there are a few things that i would probably stumble over trying to set it up.

but since I am old and out of it now i guess i just do not have the time or patience to even try to get it working.

#4 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 165 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:40 PM

Thanks but years ago when i was 'into' the music thing and had my own studio i just had to run macs with Digital performer and all of the synths etc.   windows would not cut it and had way too many sound issues and glitches.

linux is possible but there are a few things that i would probably stumble over trying to set it up.

but since I am old and out of it now i guess i just do not have the time or patience to even try to get it working.

I used to record in Windoz - meh, so much $$$.  Everything you want, oh, just pay a couple hundred dollars...or thousand... "No thanks"

This is my first time setting up a recording/music production/DAW system in LInux - a lot of flexibility - but that also means a fair amount of learning curve.  Glad I enjoy learnings and thankfully there are active forums. :)

Glad to hear you have been on Linux a year!  Congrats!  This is roughly my fifth - basically, I could no longer stand the direction windoz was heading...subscription based everything (same thing that nailed Adobe's coffin shut for me).  No control over updates?  I mean, what is that?  Oh, an automatic update borked my WiFi...well, hopefully MS releases a fix otherwise, guess I'm out WiFi until I get another adapter, etc, etc, etc.

Basically, I made sure to nuke any windoz crutches I may have had around my house, booted Bodhi and said, "No looking back - if you break it, it is broken until you fix it".  That motivation worked for me.  I still don't know anything really, but I'm slowly getting somewhere.  Just picked up the Linux Bible - hoping to dive deeper.

Congrats again - it's a great journey to be on :)

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#5 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 165 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 15 January 2017 - 03:42 PM

Way to go!  I continue to just tinker, partly because moving my spouse to Linux feels like a non-starter, partly because I used Windows at work anyway, and partly because my music studio PC is Windows and swapping that over to Linux looks like it would be a bigger deal than I want to get involved in.

You can do it!  Just takes some understanding of routing and finding replacements for VSTs, etc (if needed).

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users