• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 alex_2017

alex_2017

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 January 2017 - 07:46 PM

Hi guys!

First let me thank all of the Bodhi team for introducing myself to the exciting world of Linux!

Now let's get to my problem :)

I am trying to use a Zyxel G-320H EE pci wifi card which does not appear to have native linux drivers and wasn't recognized by Bodhi.

After some research made I was able to fire it up with ndiswrapper and Windows drivers. Now lamps on the card are blinking just like they are supposed to and I can see available wifi networks in the Bodhi Network applet.

The problem is that when I try to connect to my home wifi network it looks like it does not recognize the password I am entering. "Authentication required by wi-fi network" window keeps popping up again and again notwithstanding the fact that the password is actually correct (which I am 100% sure).

I suspect the trouble is caused by ndiswrapper and Windows drivers. Thus I am almost ready to give up on this wifi card, but decided to give it a last try and ask you guys for some help.

Any ideas? After all, the card is not completely dead: it detects nets but just can not connect. Its pretty frustrating to give up being so close to the target ...

Thanks!

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 NonXzitBU

NonXzitBU

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 January 2017 - 08:08 PM

Sorry I don't have an answer to this, but I have a very similar problem, so if someone could help that'd be great!

#3 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 165 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 19 January 2017 - 02:40 PM

Not that this is overly helpful, but reading some reviews and other forums seem to show that card is prone to dropping/not super reliable - is there another card that you could try? USB solutions are relatively inexpensive these days.  

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

#4 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 241 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 19 January 2017 - 05:49 PM

Does encryption type (or NO encryption all together) make any difference in your connections?

<-sef>

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first,
or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,
or as finished as it seems in the end.

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 10:58 PM

i would think from many years messing with llinux and weird wireless cards that either it connects or it doesn't.  however, once you do get the correct setting - there then can be 'dropage'.  not sure that does make a difference; unless i am missing something you are saying.

#6 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 241 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 20 January 2017 - 12:19 PM

The way I read it, I don't think he's experiencing droppage, I think the problem is that he can't connect at all. (???)

Basically, if you are having problems with encryption like alex_2017 mentions in his original post, try removing encryption temporarily on the wifi router to make it open. Then try to connect to it. If you can connect then try using WEP encryption. If that works, but WPA encryption does not, your card doesn't support WPA encryption so you'll have to use WEP if you want to continue using that wifi card in your PC. If you can't connect even on an OPEN ssid, I don't think the drivers for the card are working. Many older cards do not have WPA encryption support since it is a newer protocol than WEP.

<-sef>

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first,
or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,
or as finished as it seems in the end.

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 01:46 PM

ok sorry - probably mixed this up with the other thread....  pshew!

#8 alex_2017

alex_2017

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:10 PM

The way I read it, I don't think he's experiencing droppage, I think the problem is that he can't connect at all. (???)

Basically, if you are having problems with encryption like alex_2017 mentions in his original post, try removing encryption temporarily on the wifi router to make it open. Then try to connect to it. If you can connect then try using WEP encryption. If that works, but WPA encryption does not, your card doesn't support WPA encryption so you'll have to use WEP if you want to continue using that wifi card in your PC. If you can't connect even on an OPEN ssid, I don't think the drivers for the card are working. Many older cards do not have WPA encryption support since it is a newer protocol than WEP.

Thank you! I will try it without encryption.

Not much hope though ... Because the card had been working perfectly under windows with the same router and same settings.

#9 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 762 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 08:31 PM

semi off topic.   ran macs and linux no issues wifi.   wife bought a windows laptop for my daughter years ago for a certain math app.  never could hook up to wifi.  go figure.  called MS and the tech lady could not help and basically hung up.  a serious ph.d. in computer stuff here at the university could also not get it to work with windblowssssssss....  but the thing worked in linux.  go figure.   i know this is not 100% related or endemic to your situation but try to explain just WTF is going on ----- no one seems to have a legit answer or get certain stuff working.

that was my broadcom issues in the past and why i went with thinkpads and intel based wifi cards/chips.

#10 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 47 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:06 AM

Since Bodhi is built on top of Ubuntu, the knowledge base built by the Canonical community can be quite useful. As a general overview of most wifi configuration in Bodhilinux, have a look at https://help.ubuntu....iDocs/WiFiHowTo though if any folk find oneself having an unidentified network try Ndiswrapper instead at: https://help.ubuntu....er/Ndiswrapper.

17264835_1662213400740911_71304597960929

In my case since I can detect the type of wifi network card I am using, and I also have an ethernet cable connection, it is very convenient that I install the Broadcom STA Wireless driver (Proprietary) after "lspci | grep Network" shows that I have 04:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n. In my case this specific walkthrough worked perfect: https://help.ubuntu..../Driver/bcm43xx

Son. Student. Citizen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users