http://news.softpedi...-8-512336.shtml

#3 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 319 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 29 January 2017 - 12:09 PM

Not necessarily "In The News", but on sourceforge's homepage, it shows Bodhi as Community Choice Project of the Month! (Didn't notice it all January til just now)

https://sourceforge.net/

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#4 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 24 May 2017 - 02:25 PM

A somewhat recent review this month: http://www.linuxandu...eek-bodhi-linux

Son. Student. Citizen.

#5 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

Nice - thanks!

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:46 PM

A somewhat recent review this month: http://www.linuxandu...eek-bodhi-linux

"Reviews" like this are so awful. They lack depth and this one has the gall to close with:

The only negative is that there are still a lot of bugs in desktop

No software is perfect, Bodhi included, but the reviewer doesn't mention hitting any issues and then closes with this blatantly false statement. Really annoying. 

#7 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1055 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 12:00 AM

i also thought that was rather weird.  by nice i meant - at least there was a review and mention of Bodhi.  hope you did not take that the wrong way.  i also was not sure what he meant about all the glitches with the desktop.  i have been very pleased with my 1 1/2 years of daily use of bodhi and gnu/linux exclusively.  After 20 yrs of macs or such that is a serious compliment!

#8 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

"Reviews" like this are so awful. They lack depth and this one has the gall to close with:

No software is perfect, Bodhi included, but the reviewer doesn't mention hitting any issues and then closes with this blatantly false statement. Really annoying. 

That hits the nail on the head. The final comment in the review ("still a lot of bugs") is not helpful at all. Just an empty phrase. 

Anyway, in my point of view yet the opposite is the case. Less is better, in regard to software. Bodhi's minimalistic approach is right and the best advice to be given is: Achieve your goals on computers with a minimum amount of work, i.e. avoid bloated software or superfluous useless knickknack.

To be honest, I have had a problem with the installation at first, but meanwhile I suppose it was of my own doing. For some time past all my machines run without errors. Bodhi is a first class operating system. Please keep up the good work.

#9 robot774

robot774

• Members
  • 26 posts
  • LocationOlso

Posted 04 June 2017 - 11:33 AM

Sneeky Linux youtube channel does an installation demo. Bodhi 4.2.0

and here is Sneeky's walkthrough of what you get with Bodhi with the app-pack installed. This is typical Sneeky, each video of a distro is a "what you get and does it work like it should" type video. 

#10 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:19 AM

Nice. :)

Son. Student. Citizen.

#11 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 02 July 2017 - 08:05 PM

Hi, there have been two internet articles that mentioned Linux Bodhi very positively. I read it on me iPad so, unfortunately, I have not saved the links. The first one was something like "Ten best Linux distro for home user 201."
I've been overseas last week, and the Linux Bodhi + ThinkPad X200s combo worked very well to meet my travel needs: preview and backup the Olympus RAW files, check emails and reply them, have access to the business Flash web application and working with Office files.
This combo definitely goes with me on all the upcoming trips.
Respect to the Bodhi developers team and all members who guided me toward the X200s ThinkPad.
All the best,
Val

#12 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 04 July 2017 - 06:12 AM

Hi, there have been two internet articles that mentioned Linux Bodhi very positively. I read it on me iPad so, unfortunately, I have not saved the links. The first one was something like "Ten best Linux distro for home user 201."
I've been overseas last week, and the Linux Bodhi + ThinkPad X200s combo worked very well to meet my travel needs: preview and backup the Olympus RAW files, check emails and reply them, have access to the business Flash web application and working with Office files.
This combo definitely goes with me on all the upcoming trips.
Respect to the Bodhi developers team and all members who guided me toward the X200s ThinkPad.
All the best,
Val

Here is one good read: http://www.datamatio...nux-distro.html

This is what the reviewer mentioned:

Around the turn of the millennium, when I started using Linux, the Enlightenment window manager was a trendy alternative to GNOME and KDE, hovering on the brink of being a complete desktop environment, depending on your definitions. Unfortunately, development lagged, and Enlightenment faded from general memory -- until it was revived five or six years ago in Bodhi. Frustrated by Enlightenment's development politics, in 2015, Bodhi created a fork of Enlightenment called Moksha.

Enlightenment is no longer as revolutionary as it was originally. However, Moksha is an ideal choice for a lightweight system, with Midori for a web browser and small yet efficient tools such as Ephoto. Moksha stands out for its adaptations of standard Linux desktop features. For example, it uses virtual desktops to group different desktops, shelves or mini-menus to group applications efficiently, and hot spots on the edges of the screen. Moksha also includes a full set of gadgets (applets or widgets), including a few not found on other desktops such as brightness. In an era in which innovation is cautious, Moksha stands out as an effort to make the best of often over-looked features. Why it isn't used in other distributions is a mystery to me.

Son. Student. Citizen.

#13 vvkozmenko

vvkozmenko

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:11 PM

Yes, this is the website that I was referring to.

#14 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:20 AM

https://fossbytes.co...rrent-features/

Son. Student. Citizen.

#15 DaveL60

DaveL60

• Members
  • 196 posts
  • LocationEastern USA

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

Also nice that Bodhi is #1 on FOSSBYTES list of lightweight Linux distros:

https://fossbytes.co...-linux-distros/

#2 is Puppy, which is cool but seriously non-standard in so many ways.

#16 Mr.J

Mr.J

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:46 AM

Good choice. FOSSBYTES is right.

#17 RockinBodi

RockinBodi

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Very cool they put Bodhi as #1 despite its learning curve compared to others on that list.  People are naturally drawn to the #1 choice, thinking its the best.

The thing they don't mention really with these lists, is that they're listing some as "best for this" and "best for that" when in reality, its going to be whichever distribution you're comfortable with learning, and what works best with your hardware.  Read those comments....I want to say with all those lists, foss likes to recommend elementaryOS, yet you always see someone posting saying they can't get it to work with their displays correctly.  Looks nice, yes, but maybe not very compatible.  Bummer, right?  My function keys don't work properly with Bodhi on my Lenovo, but they worked perfectly with Mint, and they're both based on Ubuntu.  So you just never know what to expect until you try it out in a live session and test everything you might use out before installing.  I wish they would say that more often.

#18 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 197 posts

Posted 05 September 2017 - 03:21 PM

And from the go-to site known as DistroWatch, up-to-the-minute news about 4.3.1

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#19 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:47 AM

With Bodhi 4.3.1, Linux Insider offers a nice review as well: http://www.linuxinsi...ory/84788.html B)

Son. Student. Citizen.

#20 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 319 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:51 PM

With Bodhi 4.3.1, Linux Insider offers a nice review as well: http://www.linuxinsi...ory/84788.html  B)

That truly is a flattering review. Thanks for the link!

Forum Rules (link)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users