Photo

Screen flickering sometimes on Lenovo Idea Pad 110

screen issue Stoney Ridge AMD APU screen flickering

Best Answer The waiter, 02 February 2017 - 05:45 PM

We have been chasing the culprit long time. It would be fine if you could reproduce moksha restart always after specific action in order to simulate it here and try to track down the issue...Anyway after todays debate with Jeff we have a suggestion. If you will able to force restart by purpose, try installing another theme. Maybe the issue could be theme related. Just an idea... Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Indraraja Purbosatryo

Indraraja Purbosatryo

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • LocationJogjakarta, Central Java, Indonesia

Posted 28 January 2017 - 12:10 PM

Hi lovely fellas!

I'm new to Bodhi and Linux environment as well.
And I've got to say, Bodhi is just have its own uniqueness and I love it.

I have Lenovo IdeaPad 110 (this laptop has an AMD 7th Gen APU A9-9400) running on Bodhi 4.0.0 64 bit and Linux kernel 4.9.5.
I noticed my screens got flickering sometimes, on random event.

What I mean with this "flicker" is the screen got "flashing" and there is some random RGB color popped out on my screen. But this is happen less than one second. Nearly similar when you don't properly plug your VGA cable.
I'm sorry I couldn't provide you with some screenshot since it happened sporadically. Even a simple mouse movement would make the screen got flicker.

I really don't know where to start.
I mean, some BASH script to provide you guys here with more specific log or stuff like that.
Maybe you guys could help me out?

Thanks in advance, any help would be much appreciated. :)

[PS]
Since I have Stoney Ridge AMD GPU, I will try updating into the latest Mesa. I don't know if it will be working or not. I will post about it later. I will try to do sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade also.

The screen flickering also happens in kernel 4.4 which Bodhi 4.0.0 ship with. So I consider upgrade the kernel into the latest stable one and hope the issue went away but apparently its still there   :)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------[UPDATE BELOW]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the following line I would like to summarize what I encountered here. So new user didn't have to read this thread until the very bottom :)

[MY DEVICE]
Lenovo IdeaPad 110 with Bodhi Standard 4.0.0 64 bit and kernel 4.9.5 generic.

[MAIN ISSUE]
  • Segfault (sudden Moksha restart)
  • Screen freeze (note that you could still move the mouse cursor and if you managed to open Terminology before the freeze happen you could type something in that)

[THIS (MAYBE) THE TRIGGER]

• Opening Settings > Settings Panel > Windows > and clicking random items there (this happens in my Detorius theme and do this right after system boot up for the first time)
  • Firing alt+tab simultaneously with minimum 2 minimized apps (on Default Theme, need to test this more)
  • Firing left and right button while opening photos on ePhoto (need to test this more also, just to make sure, but this is occur one time only on Default theme)

[THE POSSIBLE SOLUTION]

I refer to this thread http://forums.bodhil...segfault/page-1

But this is what I've done:

[RESULT]

It's been a day playing with Radiance and doing a couple of random thing, like dragging, changing workspaces.. yeah, that sort of thing.
And the segfault happens only once, when I removed Places gadget from Setting > Gadget   :)

I will update more next time  :)

Lenovo IdeaPad 110 {Bodhi 4.0.0 64bit - Kernel 4.9.5 generic - AMD APU A9-9410 "Stoney Ridge" - 4GB RAM - Radeon R5 "Volcanic Island"  - 1TB HDD}

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:37 PM

Does this occur with the stock kernel Bodhi ships with? Are there closed source ATI drivers for your card?

#3 Indraraja Purbosatryo

Indraraja Purbosatryo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 28 January 2017 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for your fast response Jeff, really appreciated it. 

Does this occur with the stock kernel Bodhi ships with? Are there closed source ATI drivers for your card?

Yes, this happens after fresh installation, happens one or two times. Then I decided to upgrade the kernel into 4.9.5.

"Are there closed source ATI drivers for your card?"

Nope, I didn't use any additional drivers besides what Bodhi has. I only update the kernel into 4.9.5.

Please keep in mind that I'm still noobies in Linux world though. So I really don't know what suppose to do :)

Lenovo IdeaPad 110 {Bodhi 4.0.0 64bit - Kernel 4.9.5 generic - AMD APU A9-9410 "Stoney Ridge" - 4GB RAM - Radeon R5 "Volcanic Island"  - 1TB HDD}

#4 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 128 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 29 January 2017 - 01:32 PM

Salam dari Bogor! [greeting from Bogor]

Start by Installing amd64-microcode.

Synaptic or apt-get is your friends. :)

#5 Indraraja Purbosatryo

Indraraja Purbosatryo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 30 January 2017 - 06:44 AM

Salam dari Jogja juga bung!

[Hello from Jogja!]

From what I acknowledge from this site: https://sites.google...-AMD-processors

I think I have to check my BIOS first :)

Since the latest amd64-microcode dated back to March, 16 2016

http://ftp.us.debian...md64-microcode/

Thanks for your advice though, I will try that, soon. :)

#6 Indraraja Purbosatryo

Indraraja Purbosatryo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

Hello guys,

Sorry for bothering you.

I think I could finally clarify what is the meaning of "screen flickering" that happens on my laptop.

The "screen flickering" is just the same as when you click About Operating System > Reset Moksha.

So I think I will closed this thread and moved to

http://forums.bodhil...oksha-segfault/

since I also experiencing quite the same problem :)

Thanks for your assistance :)

[PS]

Bego-

I have checked my BIOS and unfortunately my BIOS in newer than the amd64-microcode.
I didn't have enough guts to try it haha

Thanks for the info tho, if they have newer amd64-microcode that support my APU, surely I'll try that one.

#7 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1512 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 09:48 AM

Try to follow the last workaround and tell us if it helped

http://forums.bodhil...e-3#entry102916

#8 Indraraja Purbosatryo

Indraraja Purbosatryo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:09 PM

Thanks bro.

Yep, already doing this

sudo X -ac :1 &
export DISPLAY=:1

valgrind --show-reachable=no --vgdb-error=0 --tool=memcheck enlightenment

and disabling the window geometry text in Windows display setting.

Still playing around to trigger the segfault.

And unfornately its just happen, I can't believe it, just right after I wrote this and playing with my setting  :D  :D  :D 

My windows got freeze up and nothing I can do except moving the mouse cursor and turn off my machine.

Is there any way to retrieve the logs?

PS:

I'm still total newbie and still learning Linux.
So I still didn't know what is the best command to retrieve the logs in this kind of situation.

I hope you understand  :) 

#9 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12402 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 02 February 2017 - 04:38 PM

It is likely the same segfault others were experiencing that is likely an issue with the upstream EFL project we depend on. We will follow their releases as they go, but I don't have a fix at this time - sorry.

#10 Indraraja Purbosatryo

Indraraja Purbosatryo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:36 PM

It's okay Jeff, I still love Bodhi  :)

Right now I'm using only Bodhi as my main OS. No dualboot-thing (yeah I'm a new convert to Linux and I'm happy enjoying my time running Bodhi). I'm sorry I couldn't provide you with more, maybe some useful helps?

But based from what I noticed,

Asides from the segfault the system is running fine.

In fact I'm using Bodhi now to building website using XAMPP (or LAMP I don't know, still new to this stuff :D ) and Sublime.

But strangely, as I script the HTML down and doing some love with XAMPP, the segfault never ever occur even once, until now (I don't know, maybe it will occur next time? But when I do Sublime and XAMPP, all things just fine).

Strange but, it occurs one or two times (screen freeeze) when I opened Setting > Setting panel and tweaks a bit or two items there.

Also I noticed Moksha forcely restart by itself, and it happen more a lot than the segfault (screen freeze), just by applying thing, or exiting some setting windows or another "simple actions".

And oh, I remember, VLC also freeze for sometime, but when I moved to SMPlayer, the freezes is totally gone. I think this is more into the apps, not the system I guess.

As I am primarily used my machine to work on Sublime, XAMPP, some movie watching and simple FileZilla thing, I couldn't provide you guys with more broader type of apps that got shot down by the segfault.

But besides all of that, Bodhi just totally fine, just as smooth as silk, blazingly fast, good job for you guys  :)  :)

#11 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1512 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 05:45 PM   Best Answer

We have been chasing the culprit long time. It would be fine if you could reproduce moksha restart always after specific action in order to simulate it here and try to track down the issue...Anyway after todays debate with Jeff we have a suggestion. If you will able to force restart by purpose, try installing another theme. Maybe the issue could be theme related. Just an idea...

#12 Indraraja Purbosatryo

Indraraja Purbosatryo

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:29 PM

Okay man, thanks for the idea  :)

I'm not really sure about this, with the default theme sometimes firing alt tab continuously (with minimal 2 minimized apps) triggered the segfault and ends with desktop freeze (I still could move the mouse cursor tho).

Then I changed into Radiance theme and starts firing the alt tab. And nothing was happened, all seems okay.

Then I change my theme back into the default one, in case to make sure about it...Starts firing the alt tab again (with 2 apps). And the segfault was gone.

I don't know, its weird  :huh:

[Is there are any way to delete this post?]

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users