Setting Screen Resolution At Startup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 lightwaves

lightwaves

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:26 AM

Hi all, Hi bodhi creators, thank you very much for this beautiful linux distro.

It is fast and good looking.

Only issue i had, was figuring out how to make a particular screen resolution permanent.

After a couple hours of research, i figured it out.

Thanks again bodhi team.

Here it is, in case anyone needs a solution:

Firstly we need to find out what your monitors identifier is. Open up a terminal, start typing terminal in your unity dash to see the option or press Ctrl+Alt+T

Type/copy this command to show your display details:

xrandr -q

If you only have one monitor you will see a line in the output like the following (probably with some different values, its the identifier at the start we are after):

DVI-0 connected 1680x1050+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 473mm x 296mm

The screen identifier is DVI-0 in this case

Open up your favourite text editor, lets use gedit for this example, press Alt+F2 and type gedit

Type/copy this in:

#!/bin/sh
    xrandr --output DVI-0 --primary --mode 1440x900

Save this on your desktop as lightdmxrandr.sh

You may want to test the script before we put it into practice. Back in the terminal navigate to where we just saved it:

cd ~/Desktop

Now we need to make it executable:

chmod a+rx lightdmxrandr.sh

Now run it:

./lightdmxrandr.sh

(If your screen automatically auto-corrects after log in you probably won't see a difference so you may want to use a test resolution that is different but you know works while testing)

Now lets move the little script we made:

sudo mv ~/Desktop/lightdmxrandr.sh /usr/share/.

If you don't use sudo you may get a permission error (I use this folder out of personal preference)

We need to now run this in lightdm, navigate to the correct folder:

cd /etc/lightdm

Open up the lightdm conf file:

sudo gedit lightdm.conf

Now add the the instruction to run your script after the last line and save:

display-setup-script=/usr/share/lightdmxrandr.sh

Now reboot and that should set the correct resolution on your lightdm log in screen.

(these instructions might look long but they don't take long at all)

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12522 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 31 January 2017 - 03:30 AM

Thanks for the detailed post. I split it into its own topic so it doesn't get lost at the tail end of the other one. Might be an OK idea to make a wiki article out of this one.

Welcome to the forums!

#3 Oblio

Oblio

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 176 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:28 AM

Would it help to mark this as solved so others can hunt it down easier as well?

Thank you for posting!

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users