wifi card wpa

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bodhi.cal

bodhi.cal

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2017 - 11:57 PM

I upgraded my internet modem from one that used WEP security to WPA security.  One computer, a Compaq 2108 running Bodhi 4.0 - Legacy.  (I also have two  laptops (that use a pcmcia wifi card running Lubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 14.04, both of which are properly functioning today) and it connected immediately after I typed in the Password.

I continue to use a Trendnet TEW-421PC pcmcia card.  This computer sees my network with 5 full bars of receive strength.  But, I cannot connect to the network. 

When I go into "Edit Connections" for the network connections, I have put in the proper SSID and password.  I saved this passwork and edited this editor.

When I click on my network, a new window appears - Wifi Network Authentication Required.  The default authentication type is "Tunneled TLS".  I have never seen this new window before. I am not a technie and this new screen makes no sense to me.

Thanks for any thoughts / directions that you have for me.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:12 PM

Welcome to the forums,

I see that that card is only capable of 802.11b/g speeds. I assume that since you can see the network, the router is indeed broadcasting in b/g.

How did you install the driver for it, or did it just work OOTB?

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

"That's not how the force works..."

#3 bodhi.cal

bodhi.cal

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 05:42 PM

I used the Windows Wireless Drivers - Network Connections  that must have been downloaded from Synaptic.  I added a WIFI item and then edited it

WIFI

- Added the SSID

- Mode is Client

- Device and MTU were not changed

- BSSID and Cloned MAC Address remained blanked out.

WIFI Security

- Security is WPA & WPA2 Personal  ( the moden is an ARRIS NVG589 which is supposed to use WPA)

- Password is the password on the new modem.  ( FYI, this is the 5th pc that I tried to link to the new modem.  The other 4, including 2 linux pcs worked flawlessly the first time.

IPv4 Settings

- Method is Automatic (DHCP)

- Everything else is blank.

IPv6 Settings

- Method is Automatic

- IPv6 privacy extensions is Disabled

- All else is blank

Hopefully this helps.

#4 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:29 PM

I googled "linux Trendnet TEW-421PC" and came up with some interesting sites.

This one says that the card won't work Out Of The Box, but can be installed using ndiswrapper. However it doesn't provide any instructions.

https://help.ubuntu....rkCardsTrendnet

This one gives some instructions that appear to be pretty old, but might still be usable

https://ubuntuforums...ad.php?t=201673

The commands in this site are run in the terminal (most of them probably with sudo in front of the commands). 

Instead of using 'apt-get' to install, it would probably be easier to just use synaptic. And if you don't have gedit installed, you can use epad instead.

At the end, probably best to just reboot to see if it's working.

Let me know how it goes!

Forum Rules (link)

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

#5 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4617 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:34 PM

Hmm, let me see whether I understand your issue or not.

You have installed ndiswrapper and loaded the correct windows driver. You configured the utility of the card correctly using WPA. Your modem shows in your list of available networks. Connection fails.

Q. What WPA method did you use? Best would be WPA2-PSK (TKIP encryption) IMHO, but it MUST be the same as what your modem/accesspoint is using.

Q. How did you try to connect, using the card-utility or using the nm-applet icon in the systray? AFAIK you need to use the systray-icon to make the wifi work. Anyway the popup dialog you get looks like the popup from the nm-applet reading your description. When you used "Edit Connections" in the applet did you specify the correct security method?

Sorry for more questions but it helps us to help you.

Enjoy,

Charles.

#6 bodhi.cal

bodhi.cal

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:27 AM

<-sef>

Thanks

Now that you mention ndiswrapper, I did that a few years ago when I installed Bodhi 3.  I believe the pcmcia card worked after I installed Bodhi 4, so I must have done that again with the later install.  The other link seems very familiar to me.  I will repeat those steps tomorrow.

If it does not work, then its time to let my 14 years old laptop stay hitched up to an ethernet cable.

Cal

#7 bodhi.cal

bodhi.cal

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 12:34 PM

Thanks for the comments.  I had done the ndiswrapper item before. 

Nothing solved this.  This laptop gets limited use, so let's  stop here.  Again thanks for your help.

#8 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:52 PM

No problem

Forum Rules (link)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users