Photo

Just Curious ...Ever Wonder about supporting an Additional WM?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:13 AM

Bodhi is awesome!! So, do not get me wrong on that. I was just curious if the idea of supporting an additional window manager ever came into play?

For example, I stumbled upon PekWM. It is a fantastic WM and (oddly enough) falls right into Bodhi's philosophy: Light, Elegant, Simple.

This is just an example ... I am not advocating the idea (or a particular WM) one way or another. I know other distros support additional DEs/WMs. Many have a flagship DE/WM, then have a others that they support "on the side." For Example, Mint's flagship is Cinnamon, but also include Mate, Xfce, and KDE versions

Yes, I know that adding another DE/WM is a simple process that almost anyone can do. But usually, when an additional supported all of the "leg work" is done.

I will continue to use Moksha (as well as Xfce and now PekWM.) **Yes, I have too many machines. :)

Again, just to be clear ... I am not advocating the idea (or a particular WM) one way or another ... just curious more than anything if this has ever come up.

Thanks.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12328 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

Nah. The desktop is basically what Bodhi is about. Sure - we have repositories for some software updates, but that is extra not the focus.

Plus - Moksha is the only desktop I use. Occasionally I check out other current releases of desktops, but they always interrupt my workflow in some manner and I go back to Moksha.

#3 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:19 AM

Well, agree with Jeff, with some caveats.

1st, Bodhi is a Moksha showcase. Its specially rolled to show the world how good Moksha is.

2nd. Another WM is just a meta package install away. I have Kde, LxQt, Lumina, Budgie, and Xfce installed as extra WM for Moksha.

3rd. Problem is eSudo.

It breaks another Desktop Environments sudo module. If I install Bodhi desktop to Kubuntu or another Buntus, the kSudo will fail and my Kde Plasma become unusable.

So I prefer Bodhi as a Host, and installs another WM on top of it. One problem still remain, when I change the screen brightness on, lets say, Xfce, esudo pops up, per step.

#4 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1476 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

3rd. Problem is eSudo.

It breaks another Desktop Environments sudo module. If I install Bodhi desktop to Kubuntu or another Buntus, the kSudo will fail and my Kde Plasma become unusable.

So I prefer Bodhi as a Host, and installs another WM on top of it. One problem still remain, when I change the screen brightness on, lets say, Xfce, esudo pops up, per step.

The esudo issue with other desktops can be fixed. I really should take the time to write a script with removes esudo from Bodhi without removing the rest of bodhi desktop. It is not particularly hard to do. A better option would be to find a less intrusive way to install esudo ... something I have thought about but not looked into seriously. 

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12328 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

I'll move esudo from being a required package for bodhi-desktop to just a recommended package. Probably should have been that way from the start.

#6 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:38 AM

I'll move esudo from being a required package for bodhi-desktop to just a recommended package. Probably should have been that way from the start.

The esudo issue with other desktops can be fixed. I really should take the time to write a script with removes esudo from Bodhi without removing the rest of bodhi desktop. It is not particularly hard to do. A better option would be to find a less intrusive way to install esudo ... something I have thought about but not looked into seriously. 

Thanks Ylee, Jeff! :)

Will test in a week in Virtualbox. :)

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12328 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:33 AM

Done.

#8 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1476 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

No need then to write a script to remove esudo from bodhi as it can now be done safely with little difficulty.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users