Photo

Just Curious ...Ever Wonder about supporting an Additional WM?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DennisD

DennisD

• Team
  • 328 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 03:13 AM

Bodhi is awesome!! So, do not get me wrong on that. I was just curious if the idea of supporting an additional window manager ever came into play?

For example, I stumbled upon PekWM. It is a fantastic WM and (oddly enough) falls right into Bodhi's philosophy: Light, Elegant, Simple.

This is just an example ... I am not advocating the idea (or a particular WM) one way or another. I know other distros support additional DEs/WMs. Many have a flagship DE/WM, then have a others that they support "on the side." For Example, Mint's flagship is Cinnamon, but also include Mate, Xfce, and KDE versions

Yes, I know that adding another DE/WM is a simple process that almost anyone can do. But usually, when an additional supported all of the "leg work" is done.

I will continue to use Moksha (as well as Xfce and now PekWM.) **Yes, I have too many machines. :)

Again, just to be clear ... I am not advocating the idea (or a particular WM) one way or another ... just curious more than anything if this has ever come up.

Thanks.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 February 2017 - 06:36 AM

Nah. The desktop is basically what Bodhi is about. Sure - we have repositories for some software updates, but that is extra not the focus.

Plus - Moksha is the only desktop I use. Occasionally I check out other current releases of desktops, but they always interrupt my workflow in some manner and I go back to Moksha.

#3 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 02 February 2017 - 01:19 AM

Well, agree with Jeff, with some caveats.

1st, Bodhi is a Moksha showcase. Its specially rolled to show the world how good Moksha is.

2nd. Another WM is just a meta package install away. I have Kde, LxQt, Lumina, Budgie, and Xfce installed as extra WM for Moksha.

3rd. Problem is eSudo.

It breaks another Desktop Environments sudo module. If I install Bodhi desktop to Kubuntu or another Buntus, the kSudo will fail and my Kde Plasma become unusable.

So I prefer Bodhi as a Host, and installs another WM on top of it. One problem still remain, when I change the screen brightness on, lets say, Xfce, esudo pops up, per step.

#4 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 02 February 2017 - 10:52 AM

3rd. Problem is eSudo.

It breaks another Desktop Environments sudo module. If I install Bodhi desktop to Kubuntu or another Buntus, the kSudo will fail and my Kde Plasma become unusable.

So I prefer Bodhi as a Host, and installs another WM on top of it. One problem still remain, when I change the screen brightness on, lets say, Xfce, esudo pops up, per step.

The esudo issue with other desktops can be fixed. I really should take the time to write a script with removes esudo from Bodhi without removing the rest of bodhi desktop. It is not particularly hard to do. A better option would be to find a less intrusive way to install esudo ... something I have thought about but not looked into seriously. 

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 02 February 2017 - 02:37 PM

I'll move esudo from being a required package for bodhi-desktop to just a recommended package. Probably should have been that way from the start.

#6 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 12:38 AM

I'll move esudo from being a required package for bodhi-desktop to just a recommended package. Probably should have been that way from the start.

The esudo issue with other desktops can be fixed. I really should take the time to write a script with removes esudo from Bodhi without removing the rest of bodhi desktop. It is not particularly hard to do. A better option would be to find a less intrusive way to install esudo ... something I have thought about but not looked into seriously. 

Thanks Ylee, Jeff! :)

Will test in a week in Virtualbox. :)

#7 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 06:33 AM

Done.

#8 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1585 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 03 February 2017 - 08:22 AM

No need then to write a script to remove esudo from bodhi as it can now be done safely with little difficulty.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#9 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 146 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

Done.

Sorry for "digging the grave".

I forgot that esudo is needed by apturl-elm, which in turn needed by bodhi-desktop, so technically bodhi-desktop still install esudo automatically. :(

My bad not checking this earlier. :wacko:

#10 Kev

Kev

An Aged Technophile

• Members
  • 324 posts
  • LocationMichigan USA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 12:23 AM

@Dennis  - got any screenshots?

- Kevin

#11 Jayan Tashi

Jayan Tashi

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • LocationSingapore

Posted 24 April 2017 - 05:24 AM

esudo is the least of my concerns. Now that Moksha is out, a lot of the past challenges that I faced with Enlightenment have already been reconciled. Bodhi 4.1.0 works fine on my computing environments, in fact the least bells and whistles such as back then we had the ARM experiment iirc, the better. I personally prefer Midori over Firefox, and esudo is a good to have as long as we keep Terminology around handy somewhere. As my zen roshi Adam Genkaku Fisher taught me approximately, what scares people is not what is wrong with the world (and Bodhi), what scares people is that the world (and Bodhi) is perfectly alright.

Son. Student. Citizen. Farmer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users