Hello and thanks

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 makarovnik

makarovnik

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:39 AM

Hi. My name is Mak and I live in the Seattle area. I'm relatively new to Linux but have a fair amount of experience working with Windows and was trained on a VAX/VMS system many years ago.

Ever since my W7 updates stopped working and  I was pushed to install W10, I've been searching for a lightweight OS to install on my desktop PCs (some old and some new).

I've tried many linux distros and right now I really like Bodhi, Puppy and Xubuntu. I would love it if I could edit the main menus in Bodhi the way I could in Puppy. Just for example, when I installed Synaptic it ended up in the menu category "Preferences". Sorry that's a topic for another thread.

Anyway, so far so good. I downloaded the basic 32 bit version, did a custom install and loaded the programs I like.

Thank you for creating and maintaining this OS,

Mak

"Once I dreamed I was Hitler; ruler of the sea, ruler of the world... ruler of the supermarket". - Poly Styrene

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12328 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 February 2017 - 07:49 AM

Welcome to the boards mate.

Moksha uses a menu system similar to all the other Linux desktops, you can control which files end up where by editing the desktop files. Feel free to open a suuport thread if you need some help with that.

#3 makarovnik

makarovnik

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 08:09 AM

Thanks, I was wondering if that was the way to do it. I assumed "System", "System Tools", or "Setup" was listed as a category in that particular .desktop file; and if those categories didn't exist it would create one rather than putting it in "Preferences" which seems like a weird place for it.

I've had success editing the desktop files in the past. Editing the menus themselves and adding categories or sub-categories was easy in Puppy but if memory serves I had to resort to a GUI menu editor to accomplish it Ubuntu, can't remember. I will startup my Bodhi and check it out.

Thanks for the welcome. I will open a support thread if I need any further assistance.

"Once I dreamed I was Hitler; ruler of the sea, ruler of the world... ruler of the supermarket". - Poly Styrene

#4 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 01 February 2017 - 12:51 PM

welcome!

#5 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:52 PM

Welcome!

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#6 oblio2231

oblio2231

Bodhi Team

• Team
  • 114 posts
  • LocationA desk in the Midwest

Posted 04 February 2017 - 03:22 AM

Hello and welcome, Mark - glad you made the jump :)

Xeon E3-1220 v3 3.1GHz Quad, ASRock Rack E3C224, 2x 8GB Kingston KVR16E11/8I DDR3-1600 ECC CL11 Intel Chips (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Samsung SM863 120GB OS SSD, 2x WD RED 3TB HDDs (Raid 0), Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, Antec Earthwatts EA-750 80 Plus Platinum 750w PSU - Bodhi 4.1.0 64

AMD Phenom II X4 940 3.0GHz Quad, Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-DS2H, 2x 2GB Kingston KHX8500D2K2 DDR2-1066 (Dual Channel), EVGA GeForce GTX 570, Intel 30GB OS SDD, Seagate ST31000340AS 1TB HDD, Seagate STBD4000400 4TB HDD, EVGA 500w Bronze Plus 80+ PSU - Bodhi Linux 3.2.1 64

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users