8 replies to this topic

#1 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12353 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 01 February 2017 - 09:41 PM

Now that 4.1.0 is out the door and I have some weekends at home again, I am going to be spending my Bodhi time working on the Swami Control Panel again. The next module I want to finish up is the one for startup applications / commands (it will have a GUI for easily adding a single command to run at startup without creating complicated .desktop files). A start:

tPQWkB7.png

After this I think I want to tackle rewriting the key bindings dialog. It desperately needs a search function in my opinion. The things you search through are so long and it can be easy to miss the thing you are looking for. 

After that what would you like to see rewritten next? What part of Moksha's settings that we inherited from Enlightenment gives you the most frustration?

Swami Source for those who Care: https://github.com/JeffHoogland/swami

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12353 posts

Posted 03 February 2017 - 09:03 PM

Startup applications module and a few others ready for some user input:

http://www.bodhilinu...-panel-testers/

#3 ghoul

ghoul

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • LocationL'viv, Ukraine

Posted 07 February 2017 - 09:34 AM

Hi @Jeff,

thanks for your hard work!

I have 2 minor suggestions regarding settings/swami.

1. For me the most annoying part of E19 settings is inability to import/export key bindings. I have fully customized key bindings, dozens of them. And it's really annoying to set these up on each new Bodhi installation.  This does not happen very often, but still :)

2. What I would suggest to improve in swami is config for lightdm is either

2.1. Add ability to add/remove rows or

2.2. Put plain text editor instead of per/row configuration

swami.png

Again, those are minor suggestions :)

I like bodhi. It is beautiful.

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12353 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 02:13 PM

I plan to have a profile import / export tool when I write that part of the tool for sure. It is something E has needed for a long time.

Agree the light DM settings are currently ugly / not great. Unsure how I want to handle it exactly. Honestly - might just make a "user settings" module that contains things like users / groups and add a "auto login user" option to there. If someone wants to edit / manually add lots of stuff to the lightdm config they should probably just be editing in a text editor anyways.

#5 ryenigma

ryenigma

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationModesto, CA

Posted 22 April 2017 - 07:59 AM

So I know it has been a while since you have posted about this but the things I have found to be "off" so far are, swami crashes when switching themes, and when you change wallpaper you need to change to another desktop to get the change to show.  That or reset Moksha but that is more "destructive".  I can try getting logs if it would help.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12353 posts

Posted 05 May 2017 - 03:40 AM

I'm not sure that Swami is going to be as feasible as once thought. Some of the issues it is having stem from the fact that the config files for Moksha / EFL are not intended to be interacted with via non-C code like Swami is trying to do.

#7 ryenigma

ryenigma

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationModesto, CA

Posted 19 May 2017 - 06:54 AM

Oh OK.  I guess that makes sense.  I was halfway thinking about trying to play with the code to see if I could get it to work but sounds like it might be way out of my league for now.  Thanks for the response.

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12353 posts

Posted Today, 01:37 PM

At this point once I get some time I think just making swami a system control panel will make the most sense. This means handling things like Date & Time and user permissions and the such - leaving things like wallpaper and themes to the C core of Moksha.

#9 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4355 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted Today, 03:14 PM

At this point once I get some time I think just making swami a system control panel will make the most sense. This means handling things like Date & Time and user permissions and the such - leaving things like wallpaper and themes to the C core of Moksha.

Sounds like a very good idea. At least we would have something to work with. Could you get screen resolution in there as well?

Enjoy,

Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users