• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 silkworm

silkworm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 09 February 2017 - 10:56 AM

Was looking for a distro that natively supports Enlightenment, and was so glad to have seen Bodhi as I've been using Enlightenment on a LinuxMint install for the last year or so, which was a bit of a hack.

I've installed it ok, however the desktop will just suddenly stop responding to almost anything. The mouse cursor can still be moved, but you can't actually click on any windows/buttons etc. The keyboard mostly doesn't work, although the last window you had focused usually responds to presses etc, but you can't alt-tab or get out of that window for example. You can't even click shut down so I've had to press the power button to force a shut down.

This is fairly urgent as this is my work PC and I'm gonna have to reinstall another OS pretty soon unless I can get this stable.

Anyone else had similar? I've tried two graphics cards (Radeon HD5450 and Nvidia GT 210)

I used it for over an hour this morning for no problem then it just suddenly happened. Wasn't doing anything in particular. Sometimes I'm in Firefox, this time I was in Virtual Box. Yesterday I'd just opened the preferences window, so there's no consistency.

Spec

HP Elite  - i7 / 16GB RAM

I'm not a Linux expert so sorry if I haven't included the relevant log files.

The only error I saw when booting was

"A TPM error (7) occurred attempting to read a PCR value"

But I don't think that's relevant.

Also, can I restart the Enlightenment desktop by opening a TTY so I don't have to restart completely?

thanks in advance

Anthony

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 672 posts

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

I think you can still right-click (sorry, left- click - I changed to right click to be consistent) on the desktop area and reset Moksha - "about Operating System --> Reset Moksha"

If you have a terminal open (terminology or lxterminal) you can type (I think you can type in this freeze) "enlightenmentment_remote -restart" - It does the same thing. And you'll get back the desktop without losing anything.

ps: Some people have freezes moving about windows (theirs totally hang) - I have freezes (apps don't stop and rescuable resetting Moksha) flipping desktops.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#3 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4632 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

Welcome to the forums.

If your keyboard is still responding you can try CTRL +ALT +END

The cli command for resetting Moksha is

enlightenment_remote -restart

We have seen a few reports like yours and investigation learns that disabling a setting for window display helps preventing the issue. Still working on this with the team and upstreams.

Enjoy,

Charles

#4 silkworm

silkworm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 09 February 2017 - 12:47 PM

Appreciate the quick responses. I will definitely try these out. Hopefully this can be fixed!

#5 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12547 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 09 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

This sounds like the issue in the thread Charles linked - please let me know if disabling those settings solves the issue.

You can run this from a tty to trigger a restart when you get a lock up:

killall -9 enlightenment

#6 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 09 February 2017 - 11:04 PM

Also, by default there are 6 virtual terminals available with Ctrl + F1 through F6, if you need one. You will be dropped to a terminal only, no GUI. You log in with your username and password and then you can access any text commands you need. top might be useful. htop is more useful but not installed by default. When you have attempted to get enlightenment/moksha to restart, you can then Ctrl + F7 and you should be greeted with the desktop again.

#7 silkworm

silkworm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:24 PM

Ok so I disabled the window geometry yesterday, since then I've had at least 3-4 more lock ups, all inconsistent.

One of the time, I locked the PC successfully, came back 10-15 mins later and although the cursor was moving, the desktop, therefore the password entry box, was not responding to key presses. Obviously this means that user input is out of the question.

It's just happened again, this time I was in the preferences - editing any prefs, especially anything to do with themes/icons etc definitely seems to be more unstable.

Programs I'm running Firefox/Chrome/Virtualbox/Teamviewer/LibreOffice

Only thing I would say, is that when I ran with the Radeon card it was even worse! Sticking the NVidia in seemed to stabilise it a bit.

Last lock up I tried running the enlightenment_remote restart command but received the following

Failed to open connection to "session" message bus: Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11

Is this because I have dual screens and need to specify a screen? Not sure how to do that. Also tried running as root...

Hadn't seen the last two replies when that last lock happened so will try the kill all command as mentioned above next time.

If there's anything else to try please let me know - this is my work PC and I'll have to go back to Mint soon if I can't get this stable but would really like to keep this OS if possible but I'm spending so much time rebooting! I need independent virtual desktops so I'd like to keep Bodhi!

Happy to supply logs etc if it's noob friendly...

cheers

Anthony

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12547 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:55 PM

You mentioned changing themes - which theme are you using currently? Some seem to cause the issue to happen more often than others.

By any chance does the lockup seem to happen when you are alt-tabbing through applications? Pretty sure it is related to the popups Moksha is displaying.

#9 silkworm

silkworm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 February 2017 - 03:17 PM

Using Moksha Green at the moment. I didn't actually change any themes when it locked up, just going through the menus.

What's the most stable one to use?

#10 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12547 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

Install the package bodhi-theme-moksha-arc-dark and give it a try.

#11 silkworm

silkworm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 10 February 2017 - 05:00 PM

Just had another lock up . This time clicking OUT of a Virtual Box VM. All keyboard functionality was being passed to the Win 7 VM, which was working fine. Clicking back into a local browser window did nothing and locked the whole gui. the VM was still working fine and responding, but just not to mouse clicks. So that's around 4 lock ups today, and I also noticed the gui restarted itself a few times for no apparent reason.

Luckily that killall command worked and got my desktop back which helps a LOT - thanks Jeff

Already have that theme installed (latest version apparently). Am using that going forward...will see if it's any more stable. I think it's definitely something related around clicking/focus on windows, even though it happened while I was away once -  maybe there was a pop up.

Have new NVidia card coming next week, will see if that makes any difference also.

#12 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12547 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:09 PM

It is definitely an issue with Moksha and not your drivers / hardware.

#13 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 419 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:49 PM

So, not the most appealing idea, but, silkworm could install a second WM/DE and stick with the install he has currently until the bug/s in moksha are found and killed?

#14 silkworm

silkworm

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 13 February 2017 - 10:16 AM

Jeff - Yeah agreed it defo an issue with the GUI but I noticed it was even more unstable with the Radeon. I'm aware that ATI support for Linux is not as up to speed as Nvidia so it might be exacerbating the issue perhaps?

Birdmun - Yep might not be bad idea mate.

btw; is this E17 or E20 with Bodhi? - I managed to get E20 working on Linux mint it was a bit of a mission if I remember.....but it was very stable. I just had a few issue with duplicate desktop icons etc so I never felt like it was properly integrated.

#15 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12547 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:19 PM

Bodhi has used a forked version of E17 since our 3.1.0 release

#16 Newone

Newone

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:40 PM

I had the same issue a few moments ago, Theme: Moksha Green

Open: (Midori and Game downl.)

#17 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12547 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 03:59 PM

Please perform all your system updates.

#18 Newone

Newone

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 04:07 PM

its all updated, i switched to arcdark and still no issue

#19 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 251 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:18 PM

One of the things you can try is a browser setting, Use hardware acceleration when possible, but I notice that you had duals. Are the two displays on Radeon at the same time?

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#20 cordx

cordx

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Locationsatx

Posted 30 June 2017 - 01:33 AM

are there logs we can post when this happens that are helpful?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users