• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hi there,

recently I moved my Bodhi VM from VirtualBox to Hyper-V almost seamlessly. All works fine except Network Manager (besides the network itself also works fine).

Network Manager crashes on boot, presumably because of my VPN startupt script I used before.

Besides NM crashes with Moksha window saying log saved in ~/NetworkManager.log bla-bla-bla I wasn't able to find it there, nor in other locations:

/var/log/

/var/log/syslog

/usr/bin/NetworkManager

/var/log/daemon.log is also empty. So where can I found NM-applet logs to reveal why it keeps crashing?

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 10 February 2017 - 01:57 PM

You'd want to run it from terminal and see the output it posts when crashing.

The log file Moksha mentions isn't supported by most applications. I really need to remove that part of the app crash dialog.

#3 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 413 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 10 February 2017 - 07:39 PM

Jeff, what your saying is the log file isn't actually created? I was going to suggest sudo find / -name "NetworkManager.log"

#4 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 10 February 2017 - 10:39 PM

your saying is the log file isn't actually created

Correct.

#5 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 02:27 PM

You'd want to run it from terminal and see the output it posts when crashing.

Well, I tried to run in Terminal:

nm-applet
network-manager
network-manager-gnome
network

None of them worked, just nothing happens.

This is the message I see

RaLRyd0.png

What that Network could mean? These messages should be more informative though.

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 03:56 PM

"Network" is the nm-applet application. When you run the command nm-applet you should see a network icon appear in your systray. Any output it has from crashing should then be displayed in the terminal you launched it from.

#7 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

"Network" is the nm-applet application. When you run the command nm-applet you should see a network icon appear in your systray. Any output it has from crashing should then be displayed in the terminal you launched it from.

Nothing. No output and no log at all.

Do Moksha appets have no logs at all?

#8 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 04:22 PM

This isn't a moksha applet. This is the Gnome network manager from the upstream Ubuntu repositories.

#9 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

The network manger itself is functioning well, internet is working and VPN connections are started. The issue is in applet.

When I try to purge it I see

root@bodhi-box:/home/suncatcher# apt-get purge nm-applet
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package nm-applet

Could you please write out the exact package name? It seems that it's some Moksha peculiarity here.

#10 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4616 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 11 February 2017 - 08:24 PM

Please post the outcome of

dpkg -l network-manager*

So we can check for missing packages. You may have accidentally removed one.

Enjoy,

Charles

#11 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:22 PM

Here it is

Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
| Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
|/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
||/ Name                   Version          Architecture     Description
+++-======================-================-================-==================================================
ii  network-manager        1.2.2-0ubuntu0.1 amd64            network management framework (daemon and userspace
ii  network-manager-gnome  1.2.0-0ubuntu0.1 amd64            network management framework (GNOME frontend)
un  network-manager-kde    <none>           <none>           (no description available)
un  network-manager-openco <none>           <none>           (no description available)
un  network-manager-openco <none>           <none>           (no description available)
ii  network-manager-openvp 1.1.93-1ubuntu1  amd64            network management framework (OpenVPN plugin core)
ii  network-manager-openvp 1.1.93-1ubuntu1  amd64            network management framework (OpenVPN plugin GNOME
ii  network-manager-pptp   1.1.93-1ubuntu1  amd64            network management framework (PPTP plugin core)
un  network-manager-pptp-g <none>           <none>           (no description available)
un  network-manager-vpnc   <none>           <none>           (no description available)
un  network-manager-vpnc-g <none>           <none>           (no description available)

#12 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 12:28 PM

presumably because of my VPN startupt script I used before.  

This assumption was wrong. I removed this startup record from /etc/rc.local, but this has no impact and the message still persists. Additionally when I run it in Terminal

nmcli con up uuid b79f67db-93fb-4426-a88f-35591f2b71f2

it works fine, and VPN connection is started.

#13 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 03:31 PM

Yep. The network services itself should stay running. The applet / GUI just crashing.

#14 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4616 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 12 February 2017 - 05:37 PM

Looks you have all packages installed.

Question, do you have a systray loaded to a shelf that nm-applet can use?

The applet is provided by network-manager-gnome but demands a working systray conforming to XDG specifications.

By default in Bodhi the applet is started as a startup application, you can check that in Settings>Apps>Startup>Order where you should see Network.

#15 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:38 AM

By default in Bodhi the applet is started as a startup application, you can check that in Settings>Apps>Startup>Order where you should see Network.

It exists there, and Enabled as I can see it.

Question, do you have a systray loaded to a shelf that nm-applet can use?

The answer is also Yes, if I am not mistaken.

W0NMjyR.jpg

What other things I can check?

#16 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

Everything is launching as expected. One of my 6~ systems here has the network applet sporadically crash on me as well. You can replace it with WICD-GTK if you need something else that keeps the applet open. It dumping out doesn't actually hurt anything though as connections remain active.

#17 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 05:56 PM

Ok, let it be. But the question is wider than just this applet. I have other apps that crash in a similar way

vZFLk13.png

QMInRwe.png

And of course there are NO logs that are specified there.

In spite of the fact these are consequences of my migration to Hyper-V, there definitely should be some way to debug Moksha errors. Now they are totally undebuggable!!!

What should be my next steps? No idea.

#18 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12524 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 06:06 PM

These are not Moksha errors. There are desktop independent applications that are crashing on you. As I mentioned earlier that log message is something left over from upstream E17 that never worked correctly and I haven't gotten around to stripping out of the code base. 

If you want to debug these applications crashing you'd need to read the docs for these applications specifically. I use VLC on the regular on half a dozen different Bodhi systems though and never once had it crash for reference. If you are having lots of different applications crash on you I would recommend checking your drive health and run a memory check.

#19 Suncatcher

Suncatcher

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 09:05 AM

If you want to debug these applications crashing you'd need to read the docs for these applications specifically. I use VLC on the regular on half a dozen different Bodhi systems though and never once had it crash for reference. If you are having lots of different applications crash on you I would recommend checking your drive health and run a memory check.

I cannot agree. Whenever I install new applications (pdf viewers, office stuff or media players) this error persists. It is app-independent error and should be debugged at system-level.

left over from upstream E17 that never worked correctly 

So why the hell it is still there? What is the use of debug message which brings no useful info?

#20 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 323 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 18 February 2017 - 10:39 AM

Is there any way you can go back to VirtualBox?
I can really only speak for myself, but I don't think there is much experience with Hyper-v around here. So your support for it may be limited.
For example you could have an issue with how the graphics driver in the kernel interacts with Hyper-v, causing apps to crash. But don't take that advice to the bank because I'm really not that familiar with Hyper-v, just putting a thought out there.

Forum Rules (link)

---------------------------------------------------

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle,

or as finished as it seems in the end.

---------------------------------------------------

"That's not how the force works..."

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: network, network-manager, logs, VM, service

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users