Photo

Partition questions pre installation

Best Answer jmd8800, 13 February 2017 - 04:16 AM

I had been in the 'something else' (or manual) page and I had not considered the +/- options on the left side of the window. I'm a bit bit fearful of clicking anything in a partitioning program unless its clear what I'm doing. Since I had passed the caution stage and was willing to risk it I chose the - and then added clicked the + which brought up the box to instruct the installer what I wanted to do. Then as gohlip mentioned... Then select the old debian partition to install as root (/).

Thanks. Solved

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jmd8800

jmd8800

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 07:39 AM

It is time to put Bodhi back on my computer. I've had desktops and Chromebook c720 with Bodhi. This is not a high end machine... just a Shuttle XS35GT. The Ubuntu-Gnome holds all of my important data and I have a current backup on an external drive.

My question is about the existing partitions on my drives and how best to get Bodhi installed. I have sda and sdb.

sda is completely Ubuntu 16.04 LTS and I want to keep it.

sdb is a mix of Ubuntu-Gnome and Debian 9. I would like to wipe Debian 9 and install Bodhi 4 on this partition.

sdb1 is Ubuntu-Gnome 368GB

sdb2 is extended 97GB

sdb6 is Debian 9 95GB

sdb5 is swap

What I thought I would do is boot to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS on sda use gparted and the 'cleared' command on sdb6 (the partition I want to use for Bodhi). Once cleared is complete, do update-grub. Reboot.

I think this will leave me with 95GB free space for Bodhi and the installer will prompt me if I want to use this space. Am I on the right track?

TIA

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12328 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:29 PM

At the partitioning set in the installer you can actually just use the installer to partition your drive as you want. No need to have something else do it for you in advance.

#3 Elw3

Elw3

• Moderators
  • 1769 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 05:43 PM

There is no point to have sdb2 there.

Think about where to put the bootloader before installing. 

Bad Wolf

#4 jmd8800

jmd8800

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:08 PM

I don't have plans to repartition or alter any existing partitions. I just need a way to tell the installer that I want Bodhi 4 on the same partition that Debian 9 is presently on which is sdb6. I do not want to keep Debian.

I am hoping the installer has an option to not install a bootloader. I will run grub-update once Bodhi is installed. The only reason for this is I have an image I like displaying on the grub screen. This is not such a big deal I can always reconfigure.

As for sdb2... one of the installers put it there. I see no need to delete it.

I like living on the edge so I'll probably give my idea a go. I've plenty of time on my hands if it all goes south.

#5 gohlip

gohlip

• Members
  • 654 posts

Posted 12 February 2017 - 04:42 PM

During installation, use 'manual' installation.

Then select the old debian partition to install as root (/).

Remember to tell installer to format that partition.

As for bootloader , you can tell installer not to install bootloader

or (my preference), tell it to install to its own partition.

Both will let your existing current bootloader remain as 'default boot'.

As you are aware, do not forget to 'update-grub' in 'default bootloader OS' to include newly Bodhi OS in its grub menu.

Good luck, Cheers.

Life is a sexually transmitted disease with a 100% mortality rate.

#6 jmd8800

jmd8800

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 February 2017 - 04:16 AM   Best Answer

I had been in the 'something else' (or manual) page and I had not considered the +/- options on the left side of the window. I'm a bit bit fearful of clicking anything in a partitioning program unless its clear what I'm doing. Since I had passed the caution stage and was willing to risk it I chose the - and then added clicked the + which brought up the box to instruct the installer what I wanted to do. Then as gohlip mentioned... Then select the old debian partition to install as root (/).

Thanks. Solved

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users