7 replies to this topic

#1 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 401 posts
  • Location26.13069N,97.63676W

Posted 18 February 2017 - 12:11 PM

Greeting.

I have a friend whose laptop was basically dead in the water. He couldn't do anything and I couldn't really figure it out. I suggested that since he basically couldn't use it the way it was, I could load Bodhi on it. That way, it would be all clean and he could get at email, search, all the basic stuff he wanted to do. So far so good.

The other day he told me he bought RosettaStone to learn English; could I help him get it working? Short answer, no. The only thing I can think of is to put Windows back on unless someone has had any luck getting it to work somehow.

Bob Rashkin

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 228 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

virtual box / virtual machine?

#3 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 721 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 07:50 PM

i was going to suggest that too but never having done any of that i figured i was way off.

#4 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 99 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 19 February 2017 - 03:10 AM

Virtualbox is good solution only if RAM is big enough, lets say, 8 GB (Which 4 GB is for Windows). :)

And Rosetta Wine / Playonlinux still work in progress.

https://www.playonli...etta_Stone.html

#5 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 12:17 PM

I don't see anything called "virtualbox" in the app center. How would I go about using it?

Bob Rashkin

#6 Randy

Randy

Bodhi-Care

• Members
  • 589 posts
  • LocationFort Wayne, IN USA

Posted 19 February 2017 - 05:02 PM

There is a version in the repo. You can use synaptic to install it. But you will need a copy of windows to install Rosseta Stone. Basically once it is installed it is a virtual computer. You go to the menu and create a new machine. It will ask what guest operating system you want to install. You pick the Windows version disc you have .  It will create a virtual hard drive and you can give it whatever memory you can spare from you main computer.  Then you put your windows install disc in and under settings for your new virtual pc check to see that the host cd drive is selected. then you boot it up. It will run the windows install. But be aware that the copy of windows you install has to be a copy that meets Microsofts licensing agreement or you may be breaking laws.

This is a rough primer.

Here is one online tutorial

http://www.makeuseof...use-virtualbox/

There is all kinds of videos and info online.

Randy Fry

Linux Addict!

#7 bob rashkin

bob rashkin

• Members
  • 401 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 01:12 PM

Great. Thanks.

Bob Rashkin

#8 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 12 March 2017 - 08:59 PM

Here is the route I would take, say I wanted to work with Rosetta. I'd get a laptop that was selling used, probably even Win7 or earlier but not too old; a few Thinkpads that by today's standards are way too thick but still have working CD or DVD. They might hover around $50 or $90 or some ridiculous price, but affordable and in a healthy state (cosmetic scuff marks, likable screen, not necessarily top of the line) Linux can be installed on it but in a side-by-side setup like Bodhi offers.Windows will remain there, but BL will slowly become the main OS. A few minutes ago I saw an ad for a $15 chromebook

This will be your main PC/laptop's "stunt double". If you're not sure about some sofware or upgrade, like you wanted to try installing Opera but you are afraid it will mess up your system, your stunt double tries it on first. If it installs successfully, after a week or so, I'd put it on the primary system.

But you will have a backup system now, AND a working Rosetta. A very physical (not virtual) machine that will not be affected by his day-to-day activities) It may have Windows, but so what. I had an XP desktop until that got EOL'ed. I avoided going online since it was mostly for PC games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users