• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MrAnderson2666

MrAnderson2666

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 11:12 PM

Hello,

it's been a lot of years since I use linux, and I only use it mainly to surf around, but now trying to revive my same old computer I have one problem, I can't install the nvidia and the browsers are slow and impossible to watch a video. I remember 10 years ago that I could have like 6 virtual desktops with 3 vlc players, one in each desktop playing a video and it was runing fine, so I know that it's not to slow to begin with, and as I discovered that the old vvidia driver it's not working anymore with the newer versions of linux, can anyone help me ?

thanks.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 12:32 AM

Let me know when you plan on logging on to Discordia or even IRC on a text terminal (this is the graphics card we're messing with)

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#3 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12580 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 28 February 2017 - 04:21 AM

The package nvidia-304 should contain drivers for legacy cards. You can install it via the command:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-304

Then reboot for the drivers to become active.

#4 PCFlicker

PCFlicker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

The nvidia-304 driver supports only fx6xxx and later grafic cards. I have a geforce fx5200 card. I need to install nvidia-173 driver, but I was not successfull by doing it. I have read that the nvidia-173 driver is only supportet until ubuntu 14.04.

Is there a method for installing this driver by another way?

#5 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4669 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 26 December 2017 - 07:03 PM

The nvidia-304 driver supports only fx6xxx and later grafic cards. I have a geforce fx5200 card. I need to install nvidia-173 driver, but I was not successfull by doing it. I have read that the nvidia-173 driver is only supportet until ubuntu 14.04.

Is there a method for installing this driver by another way?

Have you tried the method as explained here? Nvidia has a dedicated website just to answer the question what driver goes with what card.

Enjoy,

Charles

#6 PCFlicker

PCFlicker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:17 PM

Thank You for Your quick answer. The lowest version of nvidia drivers in the feed is the 304. Some days ago, I had 2 times tryed to

install this driver once with synaptic and once with "sudo apt-get install nvidia-304". The result after reboot blank screen with a flashing point. The PC seems to be busy, so I let it the whole night running. At the next morning just the same behavior. After another reboot the same. I bootet into recovery mode and choosed the first point. Then the moksha desktop appeard and I was

able to remove all changes with synaptic. I reinstalled the nouveau xorg drivers. The latest driver which supports geforce fx5200 is

nvidia-173. Is there a chance to install it manually  in the latest bodhi 32 bit kernel? Or should I buy an ATI graficcard?

#7 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4669 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 27 December 2017 - 07:28 PM

Hmm, on the page I linked to was an other link to a Nvidia site. This offers a search option that would answer which driver version you need and the possibility to download that driver. Or you can opt for letting Nvidia search your machine to find the right card and driver. You probably missed that.

Enjoy,

Charles

#8 PCFlicker

PCFlicker

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:20 AM

I read that the actually kernel in ubuntu doesn`t support nvidia-173 drivers. The only choise seems to install the nouveau driver. Since I have reinstalled the nouveau driver the grafics behavior seems to be okay. My Laptop with ATI grafics was running fine at the first time I installed BodhiLinux. Yesterday I bought an ATI card for my desktop pc. Next week I will test it.

Have many thanks for your time spending on my questions.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ti, 4200, nvidia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users