• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Pigeon142

Pigeon142

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 07:57 PM

Hi,

I am not sure if I am asking in the correct section but I am trying to get my laptop to suspend and lock the screen when I close the lid. I have installed Bodhi 4 and the process was very smooth. As default the laptop goes into suspend when the lid is closed but it does not lock the screen.

I have tried setting logind.conf to ignore the event. This works in that the laptop does not go into suspend mode when closing the screen. Despite this I am unable to get the lid close event to be recognised in settings/input/ACPI bindings in order to bind it to suspend.

If I suspend via clicking the power icon (bottom right) and then suspend the machine suspends and the screen is locked. I would like to replicate this behaviour on closing the lid of the laptop.

I have been searching for the answer but have been unable to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pigeon

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:07 PM

If you open the "ACPI Bindings" dialog (can be found using the quick launcher) and add an additional "lid closed" binding, you can set it to the "lock" action which can be found under the "desktop" section on the right side.

#3 Pigeon142

Pigeon142

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for such a quick response Jeff.

The issue is that the computer does not respond to the the ACPI event. There is one binding there currently which is set to suspend but if I close the lid nothing happens. If I try to add another binding I am asked to trigger the ACPI event. Presumably this means to close the lid? When I do this and reopen the lid I am still met with a dialog box asking me to trigger the ACPI event. Nothing actually happens.

#4 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:13 PM

See if this thread is helpful

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#5 Pigeon142

Pigeon142

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:40 PM

See if this thread is helpful

Thanks DOOMguy.

I did come across this thread. It alerted me to changing the setting in logind.conf. I removed the # in front of HandleLidSwitch=ignore in logind.conf. As a result when I close the lid of my laptop nothing happens. I looked up the manpage for logind.conf @ http://manpages.ubun...ind.conf.5.htmlwhich stated that another option might be lock. I tried HandleLidSwitch=lock but that had no effect.

Now that logind.conf is set to ignore the lid closing (which works) I was hoping that the ACPI bindings setting (referenced above) would now handle the event but it does not. Is there anything else that might be interfering?

#6 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12493 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:39 AM

Can you try deleting all the existing ACPI events listed in the bindings list and then hit "Add" followed by closing your laptop and then opening it? Some systems report that event slightly differently than others so that default doesn't work for them. 

#7 Pigeon142

Pigeon142

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 03:14 PM

Can you try deleting all the existing ACPI events listed in the bindings list and then hit "Add" followed by closing your laptop and then opening it? Some systems report that event slightly differently than others so that default doesn't work for them. 

I gave that a go but nothing changes. The lid closing event is still not captured.

#8 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 05:43 PM

Let's try something different.

It seems no action occurs when you close the lid. Trying to trigger the action with the event does nothing, which gives the impression that ignore is working but desired result suspend/hibernate + lock screen does not take place. Why not try an edge binding? e.g. slide the mouse pointer to the top edge, and make the computer do a lock screen with hibernate. Once this little trial run works, and you were able to achieve the result, we can then figure out how to combine it with the lid_close event. It might even become useful say, when one takes his laptop to work, and one has to walk away from it in the middle of a session. Like I need to take a restroom break but need to hide a screen from prying eyes; I'd slide the mouse pointer to the top edge and the laptop screen locks. This is sufficient to ensure my privacy in this example; your actual use case might be totally different.

I don't understand why the machine is waiting for you to close the lid when you just did it, but you assume that something is interfering with it. What if it understands what you're doing, that you're trying it out, but just when it is about to get going, you close the lid and it goes WTH - Wait a sec. It is attempting to perform the requested action, but someone keeps closing the lid, literally making it pause. And so I suggest trying out an alternate tack.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#9 Pigeon142

Pigeon142

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 15 March 2017 - 07:22 PM

Let's try something different.

It seems no action occurs when you close the lid. Trying to trigger the action with the event does nothing, which gives the impression that ignore is working but desired result suspend/hibernate + lock screen does not take place. Why not try an edge binding? e.g. slide the mouse pointer to the top edge, and make the computer do a lock screen with hibernate. Once this little trial run works, and you were able to achieve the result, we can then figure out how to combine it with the lid_close event. It might even become useful say, when one takes his laptop to work, and one has to walk away from it in the middle of a session. Like I need to take a restroom break but need to hide a screen from prying eyes; I'd slide the mouse pointer to the top edge and the laptop screen locks. This is sufficient to ensure my privacy in this example; your actual use case might be totally different.

I don't understand why the machine is waiting for you to close the lid when you just did it, but you assume that something is interfering with it. What if it understands what you're doing, that you're trying it out, but just when it is about to get going, you close the lid and it goes WTH - Wait a sec. It is attempting to perform the requested action, but someone keeps closing the lid, literally making it pause. And so I suggest trying out an alternate tack.

Thanks, I setup the edge binding and it suspends the machine as does pressing the power button (I have configured it to bring up the menu / ask me what to do).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users