Photo

System Password with USB boot drive

bodhi linux system password

Best Answer Charles@Bodhi, 20 March 2017 - 08:24 PM

Welcome to the forums.

I hope I understood your question correct. You "installed" to an USB-drive using Unetbootin. And you don't notice any password present.

First off, Unetbootin does not install the OS, it only creates a medium (flashdrive) you can use to do a real install. A Bodhi Linux live-session by default has an empty password. This means you leave the box to fill in your password open when a program asks for it, you just hit Enter.

Installing Bodhi Linux to a drive, USB or HDD equally, is done by starting the live-session and use the launcher for the installer, either the icon on the left of the shelf, or the icon in the menu > applications. This will open a window with several steps to follow ending with a dialog to put in your name, the computer name and the username. Next you can provide a password. Username and password you should not forget as you will need those when running the installed system.

Let us know if this was the answer you needed or if you need to know more. By the way, most of the basic stuff a beginning Bodhi-user needs to know is explained in the quick start guide that shows when you boot the live-session, really worth reading.

Enjoy,

Charles

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 GibbousRune

GibbousRune

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 07:36 PM

Hi all,

The basic question I have is: what is my Bodhi Linux system password?  I've searched this and other forum answers on the net which usually say that the password is created during system setup.  I've done three clean installs (all successful) with a USB boot drive (through Unetbootin), and have not found where a password is created in the installation process.

I've tried using the Windows-side password to download and install from the AppCenter, which obviously doesn't work.  I can do installs of programs downloaded from developer sites, like Mozilla Firefox, with no problem.  

Is there a different process for setting a system password when installing using a USB boot drive?

Thanks,

-gr

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4571 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 20 March 2017 - 08:24 PM   Best Answer

Welcome to the forums.

I hope I understood your question correct. You "installed" to an USB-drive using Unetbootin. And you don't notice any password present.

First off, Unetbootin does not install the OS, it only creates a medium (flashdrive) you can use to do a real install. A Bodhi Linux live-session by default has an empty password. This means you leave the box to fill in your password open when a program asks for it, you just hit Enter.

Installing Bodhi Linux to a drive, USB or HDD equally, is done by starting the live-session and use the launcher for the installer, either the icon on the left of the shelf, or the icon in the menu > applications. This will open a window with several steps to follow ending with a dialog to put in your name, the computer name and the username. Next you can provide a password. Username and password you should not forget as you will need those when running the installed system.

Let us know if this was the answer you needed or if you need to know more. By the way, most of the basic stuff a beginning Bodhi-user needs to know is explained in the quick start guide that shows when you boot the live-session, really worth reading.

Enjoy,

Charles

#3 GibbousRune

GibbousRune

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:52 PM

Hi Charles,

i am enjoying Bodhi Linux and even more now that I can download from the AppCenter.  Yes, I didn't "install" Linux but am running in the Live Environment with a USB flash drive so hitting 'enter' works.  Problem solved.

Much appreciated,

-gr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users