• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 22 March 2017 - 01:26 AM

1. When I click on the desktop, close to the right of the screen, 

the menu comes up, but when you hover over the list, it still expands to the right, although there is no space for it on the right, so you can't see level2 and level3 lists. 

When there is insufficient space on the right, it should expand to the left. 

eeePC 1000he

1024x600 res (but also has a 1024x768 panning mode)

2. Also, I don't think this would be worth another thread, so I'll just mention it here, given it's also menu related:  I added GParted to the applications, and it got placed under applications/preferences instead of system tools. Are most of the applications defined to be placed in the correct category, or does that have to be done manually after an install?  (I used: sudo apt install gparted)   ...and where can I go to reorganize my menu?   thanks   :)

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12517 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 22 March 2017 - 02:51 AM

The menu will move itself onto the screen automatically if you move your mouse towards the edge of the screen it has vanished off of.

Your menu sections are controlled by the .desktop files installed with your applications. For more applications this can be found in /usr/share/applications

#3 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 22 March 2017 - 08:41 AM

Two links may help you.

https://specificatio...tegory-registry

https://lkubaski.wor...ktop-shortcuts/

There are also some .desktop files in your /home/username/.local/share/applications/

#4 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 02:38 PM

If panning is enabled, the behavior you described is affected considerably, as the mouse does not detect the edge of the work area, and the menu will not shift yet, because it is also aware that there is still 'space' left.

If you try and drag any window to the right, you will find that the visible workspace shifts to follow until it reaches that limit, and the expected behavior kicks in like the usual.

When I had the desktop with the nvidia, I had two displays. When I sold the second display I turned on panning using nvidia's configuration tool. (This way I had a little bit more than 1280x786, and my workspace was 1440x900) I couldn't have that setup at work, so I turned off panning.

The panning was set using xrandr on the command line. Perhaps you can turn panning off and pick a screen size that matches the workspace; let me know if you get the idea or know how to set it right (here's a lead: the ThinkWiki for thinkpads lists several scenarios for xrandr). You could be using 1024x768, even though you 'see' only the 1024x600. If there is an extra monitor to show you that entire display you can try it out by setting it as primary only/one display only.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#5 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 03:43 PM

The menu will move itself onto the screen automatically if you move your mouse towards the edge of the screen it has vanished off of.

Your menu sections are controlled by the .desktop files installed with your applications. For more applications this can be found in /usr/share/applications

Oh I see.  

It does get stuck there if you're moving the pointer slowly. 

I noticed that unless you go and actually reach the very edge of the screen, often it will not move over. 

Can the responsiveness/sensitivity be adjusted, so that it moves over sooner - so it's a bit more predictive?

(and doesn't require moving the pointer over all the way to actually touch the edge)

edit: 

I don't suppose it'll ever change sides for the cascading when you're in the right vertical quarter of the screen? 

Because that is kind of the universal behavior in just about every OS that we have come to expect.

Might be something to consider for 4.2

@DOOMguy:  size is left at the physical 1024x600 for the moment.  

I haven't tackled the issue of panning just yet.  There is a native (to the bios) mode, where you can use the keyboard to toggle between the physical 1024x600 and a virtual 1024x768.  Being Fn-key toggled has the advantage of being able to switch it off when needed for certain applications' or websites' behavior.  So I'll be seeking to do that as it can be done in XP.  But that is off-topic in this thread. Be in touch if you like. Or we'll just discuss that later in an appropriate thread for that. 

#6 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 March 2017 - 04:17 PM

Or we'll just discuss that later in an appropriate thread for that.

That's fine with me

But I did learn something new from el Jefe today re menu

#7 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 15 May 2017 - 01:34 AM

Two links may help you.

There are also some .desktop files in your /home/username/.local/share/applications/

Thank you.  I suppose this is the standard that Bodhi should be following, when adding programs into the menu. 

#8 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:39 PM

I hate to re-awaken this, but I am, because of the recommendation/suggestion/request I will make here. 

Recently I tried Bodhi on my more powerful machine.  

4cores, 17" screen laptop. of course, my keyboard has a numeric keypad at the right (same issue for 15" 16:9 laptops too, btw, as they also have the keyboard pushed to the left for the keypad on the right). 

So it has 2 ergonomic flaws:  First, the 16:9 screen, while wonderful for movies and CAD, could be taller for browsing, reading text, etc. Second, the keyboard being to the left, and not centered, touches upon the sore shoulders and neck issue in the long-term. 

I mention this to explain why, I would like my task-bar, panel, shelf, whatever-you-want-to-call-it, to be vertical, on the right-hand side.  That way, my vertical space isn't reduced more than it already is, and the screen action is closer to the center of the keyboard, and menus off to the right where not focused on as often. 

This really accentuates the problem brought about, by the layers of the menu always defiling to the right, no matter what, whether there is space or not. 

So my question (in bold so it stands out, in case there is too much text to bother with above)

Would it really be a difficult programming change/fix, for the menu to know how many pixels are remaining to the right, and act accordingly?   Windoze does it, apps do it, and most other Linux distros do it... it would be a nice upgrade for Moksha to do it too, don't you think? 

#9 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1655 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:05 PM

Yes, the submenu items are always listed to the right. But as Jeff was said, you just need to move your mouse to the edge of sub item and it will show you another sub menu. You are right, it is annoying in case you decided to place the shelf on the right edge of the screen. That's why I have it on the left side ;)

Anyway, you have your work ergonomics, but I don't know why you use that shelf so much. I am the shortcuts guy, and I really love the quick launcher (alt + esc or win + space) to bring all apps or settings I need. Or you can use adding your fav apps to the favorite menu which you can bring with right mouse click. Or simply press left mouse button somewhere on the left side on the screen for showing the menu and its sub menus. The last posibilty which came on my mind is pressing the menu key (the key between right ALT and CTRL) and the main menu appears on the screen under your mouse position...

Of course everything is doable, but we are not E devs and it could take a lot of effort to understand and fix this feature for one person. 

EDIT: just checked the E21.7 and no, there is no possibility to flip menu items to the left :(

#10 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:39 PM

Why not try the shelf's autohide feature, you can set the duration before it hides the shelf, etc I am going to skip explaining stuff so that you make your own decision instead of basing it one person's familiarity with it, and you may want to try the shortcuts too, because who needs the mouse anyway see? It's seemingly innocuous things like this that gets me into trouble I am not sure if hiding the shelf "frees" the menu up to wrap or behave well enough for your workflow

#11 ylee

ylee

King of the Software Page

• Moderators
  • 1584 posts
  • LocationSouth Carolina, USA

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:51 PM

This really accentuates the problem brought about, by the layers of the menu always defiling to the right, no matter what, whether there is space or not. 

So my question (in bold so it stands out, in case there is too much text to bother with above)

Would it really be a difficult programming change/fix, for the menu to know how many pixels are remaining to the right, and act accordingly?   Windoze does it, apps do it, and most other Linux distros do it... it would be a nice upgrade for Moksha to do it too, don't you think? 

I am unsure how difficult it would be, you tell me the file in question would be e_menu.c

Interestingly enough the to do comments include this idea or variations of it:

* * support alignment (x, y) as well as spawn direction
* * support move/resize of "box" that spawned the menu
* * support auto left/right direction spawn
* * support obscures to indicate offscreen/not visible menu parts

The exact same list of todos is also present in enlightenment 21 source code. So evidently this wish list has little priority to the e developers. I can understand why too as it has little priority to me also. I am used to the way enlightenments menu behaves in this case and I hardly even notice it. 

BUT patches are accepted both by bodhi and by the e devs.

"No technology can ever be too arcane or complicated for the black t-shirt crowd."

#12 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 25 May 2017 - 06:51 AM

If you use autohide on the shelf, I would suggest you make sure it is On Top of so you can access the menu even with a window full screen. You could move the shelf to the left or right if you preferred as well.

#13 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

OK guys, forget where I put my shelf. Let's look at the bigger picture: 

Could we try to stop thinking as experienced Enlightenment users?  And start thinking of ALL users in general, and what all people are accustomed to, from menus, since... when, late 80s, or 1990 or so onward? 

Whether that be Xerox, Windoze, Mac, ALL the software programs we use... etc.

There is no reason why we put up with myopic developers over at E who can't see farther than their own nose and overlook such an obvious thing. 

Why not do something about it?  It can't be THAT hard, can it?  I mean, ALL other OSes and Apps do it properly!   :(

Asking one person to put up and shut up is ok, but I can't deploy Bodhi in my household, or small business, for all users, and have everyone bitch at me that they don't like the way the menu defiles.  You developers are seriously shooting yourselves in the foot here, if you think you're saving time on this - you're reducing your audience and user base.  It is the one thing stopping some from deploying it.  It is an ever-present minor annoyance, that's in one's face all of the time, causing frustration because it is so minor yet glaringly obvious to everyone (except seasoned E developers it seems). 

#14 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:02 PM

Has this been fixed in 4.2?  

(before I download, burn USB, etc etc)

#15 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4608 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 11 June 2017 - 05:48 PM

Hmm, we are the only desktop in the world that brings up the main menu where ever you click on the screen, I mean everywhere outside a window or shelf. 

Should we change that as well? 

The other desktops I know all have a menu icon somewhere you need to click on, most of them were using the bottom left corner. Even Bodhi provides that facility to its users. From there it expands to the right as expected. You only need to ask your bunch why they are clicking not that icon but elsewhere. That feature has the side effect that you describe as little annoyance. Which I personally find a much more elegant solution then asking myself whether the submenu will expand to the right or to the left, sometimes that are surprising choices.

And no, this has not changed in 4.2.0. And don't use the word fix in this regard as there is nothing broken. This is by design and I hope it stays that way.

Enjoy,

Charles

#16 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 June 2017 - 05:54 AM

Hmm, we are the only desktop in the world that brings up the main menu where ever you click on the screen, I mean everywhere outside a window or shelf. 

Your attempt at sarcasm is very amusing, especially since there are others where it comes up by clicking anywhere on the desktop too!  

AntiX, for example, and there are others - I just don't have time to check for you. 

Do your homework yourself. 

Suggesting you should remove that is uncalled for.  Not sure what side of the bed you got up on this morning, but personally I don't want to know or be involved in that. 

I mean... God-forbid someone else should see that and agree with it!  It would be a disaster for you!  (sarcasm)

My comments were for the good of Bodhi!  

If you're an E die-hard with blinders on, then tough luck - there are other humans out there! 

#17 Jeff

Jeff

Lead Developer

• Developer
  • 12517 posts
  • LocationBloomington, IL

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

This really falls under "it isn't broken so why fix it".

What you are asking for is a feature request that not even everyone would want / need. If this is something you personally feel would have value, feel free to rewrite the menu module for people who feel the same.

I'm not personally going to spend any resources on this. If anyone else on the team wants to - go for it - but I don't see why sliding the mouse to the right to see the rest of the menu is a big deal on the off chance you opened the menu close to your screen edge. 

#18 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 14 June 2017 - 01:59 PM

[truncated]

Enjoy,

Charles

Nope, Moksha not alone. Sorry, Charles. OpenBox also implement this feature. ;)

This feature is the very reason why I love Elementary / Moksha Desktop. :D :D :D

#19 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:44 PM

Two links may help you.

https://lkubaski.wor...ktop-shortcuts/

Not sure I follow... is there a fix mentioned in those links?  I was unable to find. Perhaps you can give me a hint?

#20 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 10:52 PM

This really falls under "it isn't broken so why fix it".

What you are asking for is a feature request that not even everyone would want / need. If this is something you personally feel would have value, feel free to rewrite the menu module for people who feel the same.

I'm not personally going to spend any resources on this. If anyone else on the team wants to - go for it - but I don't see why sliding the mouse to the right to see the rest of the menu is a big deal on the off chance you opened the menu close to your screen edge. 

The railway has that saying too... because they don't want ot get with the times on inspections and improvements.  This is why we have seen so many derailments over the past decade... and in increase at an alarming rate. 

There is only one possible outcome, when you rest on your laurels, never question yourself, and discard outside input; fall behind the times. 

And when you are developing something, certain things have no place, such as personal ego and considering good feedback as making you lose face, causing you to entrench yourself into an antiquated position. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users