wifi

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 zuthrieJr

zuthrieJr

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:11 AM

I have a 6 years old dell inspiron laptop installed with Bodhi linux 4.1. The laptop uses intel wireless drivers N1030 single band. I have dual booted Bodhi linux with Windows 7. All systems and software are up-to-date. I use internet on wifi from home router. Wifi works but then suddenly the wifi drops and network manger shows no wifi around. I know for a fact that there are several wifi hotspots around. I try unchecking Enable Wifi and then checking it again but no wifi still getting detected. So i restart the computer and the network manager shows all the wifi and now i can connect to my wifi normally and continue browsing. But this is irritating. What is causing this erratic loss of wifi problem? Why does wifi connection drop? Is it network manager issue? It is not hardware issue of wireless card because wifi works smoothly in Windows 7.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 236 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 12:46 AM

I must send you back in time when Ubuntu 12.04 came out; the good part is that thread was marked SOLVED

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#3 Timmi

Timmi

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 06:21 PM

I have a 6 years old dell inspiron laptop installed with Bodhi linux 4.1. The laptop uses intel wireless drivers N1030 single band. I have dual booted Bodhi linux with Windows 7. All systems and software are up-to-date. I use internet on wifi from home router. Wifi works but then suddenly the wifi drops and network manger shows no wifi around. I know for a fact that there are several wifi hotspots around. I try unchecking Enable Wifi and then checking it again but no wifi still getting detected. So i restart the computer and the network manager shows all the wifi and now i can connect to my wifi normally and continue browsing. But this is irritating. What is causing this erratic loss of wifi problem? Why does wifi connection drop? Is it network manager issue? It is not hardware issue of wireless card because wifi works smoothly in Windows 7.

Try seeing how your power management is set up. 

Linux probably doesn't handle it the same way as Windoze does. 

In some chipsets, when in maximum (or even medium for some) power-saving mode, the wifi becomes excrutiatingly slow - like dialup slow.  As a result, the packets to keep the connection alive may be spread too far apart.  Now I'm no expert, so I don't know the fix for you.  But I would try exploring to see if I can tweak the power-saving mode, make sure the wifi stays up to speed. 

#4 BeGo

BeGo

• Members
  • 146 posts
  • LocationBogor, Indonesia

Posted 25 May 2017 - 01:00 AM

One another potential source of problem, If you use multiple Desktop Environment.

Network Manager Gnome conflicted with WICD. You should uninstall and purge any reference to WICD in Your system. :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: wifi

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users