• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GibbousRune

GibbousRune

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 12:37 AM

Hi guys,

I’m using Bodhi Linux in Live Environment mode booting from an 8GB USB flash drive created with Unetbootin.  

The first time I created a Unetbootin boot drive to run in Live Environment,  I used the 64-bit version of Bodhi and it ran slowly--like having time lags from 10 seconds to 2 minutes between clicking a selection and getting a response.

The issue occurs in desktop situations (e.g., selecting program from quick launder menu, will lag before opening Terminology or Firefox, and just now lagging 15 seconds before allowing me to continue typing this into LibreOffice Writer), as well as during internet sessions (such as when trying to open a new tab or type in a username and password for secure site access will lag 15- 30 sec.).  When trying to close a window in Firefox, can take a minute or two.

I’m using a  Lenovo Ideapad 110s 11.6" Laptop - Intel Celeron - 2GB Memory - 32GB eMMC Flash Memory (see: http://tinyurl.com/lr5g3sb). When I switch to the Windows side, everything runs fast and smooth.  No issues.

So I thought I’d done the first setup incorrectly.  I tried a second time with similar results.  Reading up on the Ideapad, there was some info suggesting the Celeron platform may run similar to 32-bit, so on a third setup, I tried installing Bodhi with the 32-bit version.  Same problem persists.

When I created the drive with Unetbootin, there was a slider option to allocate the amount of RAM to the system, and it only went up to about half of what is usually recommended, given that I was using an 8 GB USB.  The problem seems like it may be caused by insufficient RAM.  Will this likely clear up if I actually install Bodhi instead of run in the Live Environment from a USB?  Or are there known compatibility issues with Lenovo Ideapads?

Thanks,
-gr

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 28 March 2017 - 08:58 PM

These guys can explain it way better than I can; if there is a way for you to try it out with 4G RAM, I'd say get the Ideapad. But if you're able to get your hands on some other hardware, then you would be able to gauge the performance.

Your link is broken, but from some searches I've gathered these nuggets of info

This is an entry level system, made for light use of such programs as Microsoft Office and web browsing. If this sound like what your computing needs will be, then yes, this would be a good choice

And they suggest using the SD card to add to 20G working storage

I would play with other distros, but these are serious lag times for launching applications. You don't need to look at the numbers; you might spend more time looking at the clock more than the screen. And one post I have seen replied that that's the maximum for the RAM.

I believe the machine was intended to run the installed software and for light computing needs. "This is an entry level computer. It is designed to be an economical choice for a new user or someone who is a light user. It comes with a free 1-year subscription to Microsoft Office 365, a $65 value. Obviously the reviewers got the product and value they were looking for and it performs, for them, the way they expect it to."

That is not what we're doing here. It's re-purposing the machine for something it was not designed for. It seems to be a major project in itself, though; just running off a stick. You've actually found an anti-Bodhi machine; in other words, you will become an expert in unetbootin, and little more.

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#3 sef

sef

Bodhi Builder Wizard

• Developer
  • 281 posts
  • LocationATL

Posted 29 March 2017 - 10:32 AM

Before you give up all hope however, I have a couple of things you could try as well.

1. Try creating the USB using 'dd' rather than unetbootin. From time to time, I have had random troubles with unetbootin.

sudo dd if=/path/to/your/bodhi.iso of=/dev/sdX

Where sdX is the path to your USB stick. This will erase everything on your USB, as you probably already know, so don't have anything on there that you would like to keep. Also, I would recommend the 64bit version of Bodhi.

2. Try using Ubuntu 16.04. There are a few forums out there that seem to indicate that Ubuntu will run fine on your laptop. If Ubuntu 16.04 works ok, let us know and maybe we can help get Bodhi running as well.

Nothing is as simple as it seems at first, or as hopeless as it seems in the middle, or as finished as it seems in the end.

#4 Charles@Bodhi

Charles@Bodhi

Old Faithful

• Moderators
  • 4472 posts
  • LocationZeist, The Netherlands

Posted 29 March 2017 - 12:33 PM

Hmm, something is unclear to me. You wrote that unetbootin offered to choose the maximum amount of RAM for the system. I've never seen that.

The only slider I know of is for adding a persistency file where the system can save changes you make during the live-session, like adding an application (LibreOffice?) and have that available on the next boot. However the flashdrive is formatted as FAT32 and that has a filesize limit of 4GB, so you can't use the maximum free space on the drive.

You have to realize that the running system is in fact a compressed Read-Only file on the flashdrive and the extra information and programs are stored in an other compressed Read-Write file on the flashdrive. That is like running from to different drives. During a session all you make it do is stored in your 2GB computer memory, there is no Swap it can use to dump stuff temporariliy. The system might use some 250 MB, but a browser alone with a few tabs eats easily > 1GB. So your computer will very soon be overloaded, explaining the severe lagging. None of this will happen once the system is installed to your eMMC. But I'm not too sure a dual boot (Windows/Linux) will be possible on your 32GB drive.

Hope this helps.

Enjoy,

Charles

Medion S4216 Ultrabook, 4GB RAM, 1TB HDD, WIN 10 & Bodhi 4.1.0-64 

Asus eeepc 901, 1GB RAM, 12 GB SSD, Bodhi 3.0.0-32-Legacy & Bodhi 4.1.0-32 Legacy

#5 GibbousRune

GibbousRune

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 March 2017 - 02:09 PM

Thanks DOOMguy, <-sef>, and Charles for all your input. The laptop I got was just for light use while on the road ( http://tinyurl.com/lr5g3sb attempt here to post working link ), and it looks like I have several options here to pursue to see if Bodhi will run on it, such as beefing up the memory. Off to the lab...

-gr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users