• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 01 April 2017 - 11:18 PM

I have my mother on 3.2.1 and her screen will not go to sleep. It has been months. I have rebooted, enabled/disabled presentation mode, restarted moksha. I don't know what to do to get it to go to sleep.

It has worked in the past.

A big thank you to everyone who contributes to Bodhi Linux

#2 The waiter

The waiter

Module Master

• Developer
  • 1542 posts
  • LocationBanska Bystrica, Slovakia

Posted 02 April 2017 - 06:53 AM

Hello Birdmun

Maybe I am wrong, but try to look at your blanking settings. I am also on BL 3.2.1 here on my NTB and it works fine.

e-58e09f5375d120.61386823.jpg

Stefan

#3 DOOMguy

DOOMguy

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:06 AM

How old is that computer? The last time I suggested this was practically years ago: There is a setting in the BIOS Let the OS perform power management with a Yes/No toggle. My old PC has bit the dust and while it was still working the screen still blanked out at times just to annoy me, regardless of the Y/N selection I made.

Good luck birdmun in walking your mum through a BIOS setup, over the phone. A person has to be ninja-fast to press F1 or F2, and that's just to get to the setup screen. But you should try the waiter's suggestion first, before dressing up like The Geek Squad and ringing the doorbell. "Mom, did you call the computer repairmen? No? Let me answer the door then"

Unsolicited advice for learning linux, that won't cost you anything

#4 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:21 AM

Lucky for us, she and I live about a mile apart. I can actually see her house from mine when the crops are short or non-existent. :) Also, as I mentioned earlier, the screen used to blank as is expected. I haven't yet looked in to The Waiters suggestion as I haven't been to her house yet. I may check tomorrow.

#5 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 06 April 2017 - 11:21 PM

The Waiter, I tried your suggestion. I even dropped the time down to a minute just to try to get a response. No luck. I am unsure how to get the screen to go to sleep. Her monitor has been on non stop for the better part of a few months.

#6 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 11:57 AM

i realize it may be a pain but you might try to install bodhi again.   i found a number of times that when i get a glitch after install and i am tweaking that the only real fix for anomalies is a clean install.

#7 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 07 April 2017 - 04:49 PM

Sure I could reinstall. I don't see that as a sound way to go about things after her system performed well for months before an update seems to have caused problems.

I wonder if renaming/deleting the .e folder would get things moving in the right direction again.

#8 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 07 April 2017 - 06:32 PM

i understand and it is extreme.  you know more about linux than i do so that is why i offered what i did.  hope you figure out what went wrong.

:-))))

#9 birdmun

birdmun

• Members
  • 317 posts
  • LocationWabash, IN

Posted 11 April 2017 - 09:18 PM

Well, I moved the .e folder and rebooted. It works now. I kinda failed to mention that the system had been running for 68 days. A simple reboot may have fixed it all along. I am sure if I knew the exact program to restart, I could have just restarted the program and the system would be continuing its uptime. Now I get to listen to questions about "where is this" and "how do I do that" all over again. Grr. :P

#10 graywizardlinux

graywizardlinux

Bodhi Supporter

• Members
  • 1012 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 12:49 AM

i have found a few glitches in linux that just demands a reboot.  from slow mouse or slow scroll to rendering issues for a page, etc.

again - no explanation as to what causes these anomalies - but the reboot does help in most cases.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users